Black areas in ray trace

pgjacob

2 20.1.1.1 Update Notes

2.2 Ray Tracing • Fixed a problem that could cause black squares to appear in ray trace images in some cases.

Seems like that was fixed.  Are you using update 2 20.1.1.1 ?  If so it likely needs to be sent in to tech support again.

11 minutes ago, pgjacob said:

Yes, it is a very large terrain perimeter, multibuilding lot.  I will try out changing terrain.

thanks as always to all

I'd be happy to throw in Thea for you real quick for fun, wouldn't take any time at all if you export as 3ds and the results will come back looking very sharp

34 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

i'd be happy to throw in Thea for you real quick, wouldn't take any time at all if you export as 3ds

Wow, that would be much appreciated.

Attached is zipped file of 2 3DS files, one with terrain, one without.

This is SUPPOSED to be a 10 acre lot with one storefront building, 4 warehouses and some retention ponds, which I am still working on, the water looks goofy.  Terrain is hilly, this is Austin.  This is the first project I have done with this big of a terrain perimeter...luckily with the experts here I got rid of my floating warehouses and made separate plans for the warehouses, exported them as 3DS files and imported them in to the master plan.  The storefront and roadways/parking lots, terrain perimeter, landscaping (or my attempt at it), ponds and cars are  in the original .pln.  

I think I have to change my signature to include "CA Forum ROCKS"  :)

melissa

CA_Thea_no_terrain.zip

1 hour ago, pgjacob said:

Wow, that would be much appreciated.

Attached is zipped file of 2 3DS files, one with terrain, one without.

This is SUPPOSED to be a 10 acre lot with one storefront building, 4 warehouses and some retention ponds, which I am still working on, the water looks goofy.  Terrain is hilly, this is Austin.  This is the first project I have done with this big of a terrain perimeter...luckily with the experts here I got rid of my floating warehouses and made separate plans for the warehouses, exported them as 3DS files and imported them in to the master plan.  The storefront and roadways/parking lots, terrain perimeter, landscaping (or my attempt at it), ponds and cars are  in the original .pln.  

I think I have to change my signature to include "CA Forum ROCKS"  :)

melissa

CA_Thea_no_terrain.zip

could you zip and attach your materials from that export...specifically looking for the tree's textures

2 minutes ago, pgjacob said:

thank you!  So it is some artifact in the ray trace.  I started tinkering with Thea.  Looks like I am going to tinker some more.  Everything looks more realistic, the cars look great.

melissa

you could make it look 100% real with 80 more hours, haha..but that's usually not worth the time spent

2 hours ago, pgjacob said:

Not sure how to zip materials..

If you need to in the Future , Use Chief's own  Backup Entire File Option on the File Menu, it will zip the .plan up with all the Textures Used in the .plan file.

Not sure if it still helps in CA , but they have always advised starting drawing near 0,0, (Origin) , so I placed and Input Point in my Template Plan so I am always close to  0,0 in the bottom LH corner of my window.

CA Released new Materials and Core Libraries today , if you didn't see the Announcement , run the Update Catalogs command, under the Library Menu.