Send to Layout - Total New user Problem

StockDrafting

A very basic question but I'm stumped trying to use the knowledge base to get answers.  I send a first floor view to layout on page 1 with not problems but

when I send a second floor view to page 2 the first page view changes to second floor also.  I use the floor dimensional set when sending.  What basic step am I missing?  

D Stock

My guess is that you are using X10 and you are sending a floor plan view that is linked to a saved plan view.  Any changes to the saved plan view will affect your layout views if they are linked. 

You need to unlink them or create separate saved plan views for anything you want to send to layout.  To unlink them, you can change the saved plan view to "none" using the drop down box on the toolbar before you send or you can unlink them in the layout box specification dialog box.  To create a new saved plan, just use the "save plan view as" tool.

Yes to what Dermot said.  I specifically name my "Saved Plan Views" as:

• Foundation Plan
  • Basement Plan
  • 1st Floor Architectural Plan
  • 2nd Floor Architectural Plan
  • Roof Plan
  • 1st Floor Framing Plan
  • 2nd Floor Framing Plan
  • Roof Framing Plan
  • etc.

Then I make sure I only open and close those specifically so that I don't change Floor Levels.  That's the one kind of dangerous things that can happen with "Saved Plan Views"

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

• Foundation Plan
  • Basement Plan
  • Roof Plan
  • 1st Floor Framing Plan
  • 2nd Floor Framing Plan
  • Roof Framing Plan
  • etc.

Then I make sure I only open and close those specifically so that I don't change Floor Levels.  That's the one kind of dangerous things that can happen with "Saved Plan Views"

I find myself changing floors accidently, some notification would be nice.

15 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

Joe:

remember CA doesn't like locks :)

Lew

That depends on the reason.  They provide locks for Layers,Truss Envelopes, Wall Framing, etc.

IMO, this particular item (Floor Level - within a "Saved Plan View") is a very good place for a lock.

You can always set the Plan View association for your layout box to “None”.  I personally  see very little benefit in having a layout box linked to a plan view anyway.   Layout boxes essentially are (and always have been)  “plan views” in and of themselves anyway.  

5 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It would be nice.  Maybe even a way to "Lock" the Floor Level if the view was opened via the "Saved Plan View" in the Project Browser. 

Yes Joe, i like the lock idea, its just too easy to change what view we see. When using templates and having your elevations already sent to the layout, it makes sense.

On 3/21/2018 at 4:05 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

• Foundation Plan
  • Basement Plan
  • Roof Plan
  • 1st Floor Framing Plan
  • 2nd Floor Framing Plan
  • Roof Framing Plan
  • etc.

Joe - question about your saved views;

- Will you be creating plan views that are 1/8" scale specific?  Or...do you always send plan views at 1/4"?

- How do you handle "roof framing" views when you have framing on two (or multiple) levels?  Say...a one story garage and and two story main house?  (see attached pic).  Do you just use a reference set to refer to the framing on the hidden floor?

-  Also...do you create a separate view for the 2nd floor ceiling joist framing (separate from the roof framing view)?

Thanks!

5ab99dec7b6d9_ROOFPLAN-1.thumb.png.ee7fddc2e7fd75ecbe9d146a465fdf00.png  5ab99defc15a3_ROOFPLAN-2.thumb.png.a872bf2385515f6a4bf831a502263e4b.png

18 hours ago, SNestor said:

Will you be creating plan views that are 1/8" scale specific?  Or...do you always send plan views at 1/4"?

Usually my views are at 1/4" scale, but I may also have views at 1/2" scale, 1/8" scale, etc.  Each Saved Plan View is scale specific and sent to Layout accordingly.

18 hours ago, SNestor said:

How do you handle "roof framing" views when you have framing on two (or multiple) levels?  Say...a one story garage and and two story main house?  (see attached pic).  Do you just use a reference set to refer to the framing on the hidden floor?

-  Also...do you create a separate view for the 2nd floor ceiling joist framing (separate from the roof framing view)?

I have a separate framing plan for each floor as well as for each structure (in case the garage is detached).

I also have separate ceiling framing plans.

Our permit submittals in California are a PITA so I provide as much information as possible.

• Upvote 1