X 10 Patch w/ lags?

PLANSAHEAD

Hi all, first off another gotta have upgrade for this long time user, as CA has consistently listened to and adjusted from input from its users unlike any software product I have used. Cheers to them.

However, I have been experiencing appreciable lag time in redraws as well as crashes since I installed the patch: has any one else experienced this? Is there a way to uninstall the patch? Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

I'm seeing it, but it started for me with the update before this last one. Sometimes my system freezes - mouse won't move, CTRL-ALT-DEL won't work, etc. Just have to wait it out.

Yesterday I waited 15 min for the 1st pass of Ray Trace, and PBR was green. Rebooting helped, but I think that it needs to be frequent on my system.

The last update was to address some graphical issues only , the one before that was the Official Release on Feb 15th of X10.

They are also working on the next patch see here :  scroll up for the PDF in the OP

Then it was the Full Release when I started getting gummy. I wonder if there's a firewall issue with my system. As soon as I can, I'm going to leave it with my fav tech guru to go over.

I just about cried when RT took 15 min to put out 1 pass. Normally, I could get 10 passes out of x9 in that time.

I hope that it's a quick fix because I rely on CA to sell kitchens. I've been so successful at CA first, 20-20 later that I have the highest per hour sales goal of 2 regions (not districts - regions). I've created a monster!

Ouch 1 pass in 15 mins?   I have not used RT much in X10 as I think I finally have PBR working and it is giving me great Renders , in much less time , are the RT quality , no but then my Clients don't know that , but the last Client loved them , so that Kitchen Reno is a go :)

M.

Charles, I highly suspect that it's something like this.

I only went to RT because I saw everything turn green with PBR. I have futzed more with materials in the last couple of weeks than I thought I ever would. I really like PBR, and being able to modify on the fly. We'll get it down soon.

I've have had the pleasure of meeting the CA staff in Cour d'Alene and at trade shows. I have total confidence that they won't leave us with a dangling participle called PBR.

I do not think it is my computer, as I have returned to using 9 with no problems; no lag at redraws, no crashes and lightning quick. I use Chief 10 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week, pretty familiar with it. Seems like there are a few people experiencing similar issues. Can I go back and remove the Patch?

50 minutes ago, PLANSAHEAD said:

I do not think it is my computer, as I have returned to using 9 with no problems;

This may or may not be relevant. I have no issues on my Sager. On the HP however I get problems like yours, X9 is fine (for what the machine can do) but X10 lags. Here's the thing-after talking with another user, who has an older model of the same machine and an older version of the Intel video card, it turns out to be a driver problem. Either of the "Correct", current drivers for the card produce issues-lag, pixels, black screen, SEH errors. If I force an incorrect driver, one for the older version of the card that should not support my card, then X10 runs almost as well as X9 does. I would not expect quite the same performance for each on that machine, on the Sager I do and get it. Note too that there have been reports of issues with AMD cards and X10.

14 hours ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

I only went to RT because I saw everything turn green with PBR

Cheryl- I've found the color shifts to be almost always related to color bouncing off of the backdrop. Things that have solved this-turn backdrop off, add light sources (hit and miss), change the backdrop (flat ones are less of a problem). Best one I've found so far if I want the outside to appear in the window is to turn off the backdrop and then place a billboard outside the windows. Here's a few quick examples-forest background, flat sage brush backdrop, forest backdrop with some lights added.(both inside and outside the windows)  I didn't slap together one with a billboard.

Forest.png

Flat sage.png

Forest lights.png

Everything Mark has said with the addition that you can also reduce the sun's intensity which will also reduce the color cast. PBR'ing takes into account both direct and indirect sun light entering the interior. Indirect sunlight would be light that has struck an exterior surface/material and is reflected into the interior as such, if that surface has a color then the reflected back light will also contain a degree of that color which will be cast onto the interior.

What would be ideal is to have an additional slider for the sun that would allow us to define the ratio of direct versus indirect light ccontribution for any given sun intensity setting. 

2 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Graham reminded me-moving the sun and changing the angle- usually so that it streams through the offending window also solve the problem but not always the most accurate (like on the north side of house)

That should also have an effect, anything that changes the ratio between the exterior light source and interior light source contribution should in some manner alter the color casts intensity.

17 hours ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Then it was the Full Release when I started getting gummy. I wonder if there's a firewall issue with my system. As soon as I can, I'm going to leave it with my fav tech guru to go over.

I just about cried when RT took 15 min to put out 1 pass. Normally, I could get 10 passes out of x9 in that time.

I hope that it's a quick fix because I rely on CA to sell kitchens. I've been so successful at CA first, 20-20 later that I have the highest per hour sales goal of 2 regions (not districts - regions). I've created a monster!

My suspicion is that this relates to the changes being made to the material properties, specifically the reflectivity(roughness) one. Ray Trace was always impacted by the number of reflective(rough) surfaces in a scene, the more reflective surfaces the slower it would run. It seems that now with the new material properties just about all materials have some level of reflectivity/roughness. As such Ray Trace must now do this computation on just about everything where in the past it only did it on materials that were specifically defined under the reflective materials properties.

7 hours ago, PLANSAHEAD said:

I do not think it is my computer, as I have returned to using 9 with no problems; no lag at redraws, no crashes and lightning quick. I use Chief 10 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week, pretty familiar with it. Seems like there are a few people experiencing similar issues. Can I go back and remove the Patch?

I am having issues with the plan I am working on, which was fine before the last patch but now crashes with an SEH error if I touch a Roof Plane or try making a Materials list so I went back to the Release Version (.43) this morning.

For safety sake I copied my Chief Data Folder to another HDD, ( even though Chief does not touch this Folder if Uninstalled ) then I uninstalled CA X10 20.1.1.1, then reinstalled CA X10 from the .43 File I had saved ( I always keep them )  , this didn't help my corrupt Plan , so it 's off to T.S. ,  but I thought I'd let you know it is possible to Downgrade if you want to.

AFAIK you can not go back and use a Beta Version though as I believe the Beta stopped working on Feb 20th.  but I have not tried it personally....

M.

No Issues going back for me today......

1st report back from TS is that there is a Bug , they deleted a Wall Cabinet and now I can access Material Lists again ...go figure....unfortunately all the saved PBR Camera are now showing greyed or Blacked out again too.

Maybe I need to reinstall the latest update again ? :)  it never ends....

M.

I am using 9 bc of the issue of lag time for redraws but am using X to finish a project and no longer do I see an option to turn off 3d MODEL, not Rebuild Ceilings and Floors, but to turn off the long refresh/redraw time i am experiencing of the 3 D model, has that been eliminated?

For those who are having slowdown with X10.

Check your AV software and make sure that you make it ignore X10 and all X10 folders/files.  That is often a problem when we upgrade and copy plans, etc to version specific folders in order to keep everything version specific and not eliminate the ability to use those older plans in the previous versions. 

The AV software may have been set to ignore the X9 version folders and files but now it needs to be told to ignore X10 as well.

Also check your Firewall Settings.

On 3/20/2018 at 3:52 PM, Kbird1 said:

No Issues going back for me today......

1st report back from TS is that there is a Bug , they deleted a Wall Cabinet and now I can access Material Lists again ...go figure....unfortunately all the saved PBR Camera are now showing greyed or Blacked out again too.

Maybe I need to reinstall the latest update again ? :)  it never ends....

M.

going back to .43 did not fix the lagging Issue for me , and while doing a Custom Manually framed Pergola yesterday noticed the CAD line work was really bad with little "disturbances" in the lines where they crossed each other, it was almost like CA was trying to add tiny arrows at each intersection when I zoomed right in, so I went back to 20.1.1.1 which fixed that issue at least and the lines are nice and crisp again.

M.

• 2 months later...

I too am dealing with the Lag on my Desktop.  I am making small changes like editing text and I find the little circle spinning for up to 30 sec for it to make the edit at times.  This has only happened just recently after the latest update and I am not sure what is going on as it is very frustrating.  I am loosing valuable time sitting and watching this little circle and now having to come on here and see that others are having the same issue.