Soffit Uplights

PLANsLLC123

To All,

My client is wanting to replicate a feature in a previous home that used a soffit around the Living Room to obscure some uplights for the ceiling.  In my design I have created a soffit and dropped it from the ceiling five or six inches and have added some eyeball cans shining down on a 'feature wall', but have been unable to figure out how to install lights 'inside' the soffit facing upward to light the ceiling.  In the real world application we will install L.E.D. lights inside the soffit, but I am hoping for help using C.A. tools to create this effect so it is seen in a 3D view.

I have tried cabinet lighting, tube lighting etc., but it seems a soffit has a 'top' to it that dissallows light to shine through...even if I could turn a tube light up-side-down.

An on-line video suggested "3D > Lighting > Add Lights", which I did, however, to view these lights I understand it is necessary to utilize the time consuming Ray Trace feature to see the effect in 3D.  

Is there another means?

I have attached a sketch of what I am trying to achieve.

Any advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Tim

(Using C.A. x9)

C.A. Question re. Uplights.pdf

There is a Cabinet Puck light that shines Up and you should also be able to set a light to "Spot" and the Tilt Angle to 90°  (-90° is straight down)  you may need to Offset the light from the Base too if it is truly "in the Box" to get the light to start outside the box.

Other wise post the .plan file as Rene said , so someone can look and help...Plan needs to be closed in Chief to do that as it lock the file while in Use.

M.

1 hour ago, PLANsLLC123 said:

Trying to attach my plan, but apparently my file exceeds the 25MB max?  File size I am trying to upload is 75MB, I am not sure how to upload...

I will try the suggestions made.

Thank you

Usually I'd suggest Zipping the File but at 75 mb I'm not sure that would be enough...you are talking about just the .plan file correct? not an Entire Plan Backup? which isn't need in this case.

You could also do a "Save As" to a   xxxx.striplight.plan and delete things like Furniture, appliances, cabinets etc until you are under the limit.

or make a public link on OneDrive, GoogleDrive or Dropbox

M.

I have tried cabinet lighting, tube lighting etc., but it seems a soffit has a 'top' to it that dissallows light to shine through...even if I could turn a tube light up-side-down.

My guess is that your light is inside of the soffit.  Soffits are basically 3D boxes so you will need to place your lights on top of the soffit if you want to see it.  Another solution would be to use some other object that is not closed at the top.  You could model this using two soffits (one for the bottom and one for the front) or something like an open molding polyline.

An on-line video suggested "3D > Lighting > Add Lights", which I did, however, to view these lights I understand it is necessary to utilize the time consuming Ray Trace feature to see the effect in 3D.  

Added lights will work in all the same views as a normal light fixture.  If placed inside the soffit, you will have the same problem that you have with the fixture inside the soffit.  Added lights work well for situations where you need to model a light source but you either don't have or need a fixture.

Regardless of what kind of light you use, you may also run into the 8 light limit in X9.  For standard render views, you are limited to having only 8 light sources turned on in your view at one time.  If you have more then 8 lights, you will need to get creative with which lights are turned on, use a ray trace view, or use X10 which will allow you to use as many lights as you want.