Dividing Wall Framing for smaller unit

boxerprod

Hi everybody ,

I have a long 14 meters wall. For the framing , is there a way to divide this wall in smaller unit module for 

an easier building process ? Like for exemple , telling CA to create new independant wall each 5 meters ?

Hope i'm clear enough . ( sorry for my bad english )

Solver did you use break wall tool and then change wall type? or do you have another trick, I ask because I do panelized construction and if a better way I would like to know. Wall panels are 8' wide or less each has to frame individually.

This is from memory, but from what I am remembering the key is that you need to make a copy of a wall type and rename it.  It can be the exact same configuration, but it must have a new name.  Using wall labels helps to keep things organized.

I did this on a room by room basis on long exterior wall of a hotel building.  It worked out fine.  It has been over a year since I did this, so you might check with tech support if you have any issues.

Hope this was helpful.

3 hours ago, solver said:

I found the quickest way is to use Multiple Copy to distribute CAD lines that cross the wall at your desired interval. Wall breaks snap to the CAD lines making their placement quick. Then select every other wall segment and change it to a different wall. I believe only the name needs to be different.

I think a more dependable method is to Multiple Copy Room Dividers.  The CAD lines work okay up until you have a wall in the nearby vicinity.  Only thing you have to watch for is when one of your wall copies might overwrite another wall.  For this reason, I would also suggest that you set your room divider to No Room Definition before your multiple copy.  Using Room Dividers has one other benefit too in that you can just leave them there in those instances where removing them will cause the wall break to jump to the center of an intersecting wall. 

Also, when selecting every other wall, there are any number of methods you can use to stop them from joining.  A different Wall Type (even just in name) will do the trick, but so will:

-Changing the wall thickness to make it .001" wider or narrower (a difference so slight that it should have little to no affect on almost anything anywhere).  This actually just creates a new wall type automatically too.  Its just slightly quicker than changing the wall type.

-Checking or unchecking "Stagger Multiple Framing Layers" (something that is quite often totally inconsequential)

-Putting the walls onto a different layer

-Clicking "Reverse Layers" (if the wall definition is symmetrical

I'm sure there are other changes to the wall definition that would probably do the trick as well.  Those are just a few that I know of.

• Upvote 1