New user-Roof issues

m_cloutier

Hi! I'm drawing a house that's basically 2 rectangles so and L shaped perimeter. When I auto build roof for gable it gets fuzzy. I am looking for advice to build something similar to the attached plan.  The rooms have same ceiling heights.Thanks in advance.

roof1.png

roof2.png

Looks like you need some practice with manual roofs planes.

Not a complicated roof system really.

I would try some of the tutorials ...they will help you learn the basics.

Also it is good to fill out your signature before Eric asks you to...:P

• Upvote 1

Hello M, Chief does okay with simple auto roofs , but it looks like the roof on the plan you're working on needs a little adjusting using the  manual roof tools. It's not that hard. Do some practicing with manual roofs and you'll be a good shape in no time. Also, you can go to ChiefExperts Pro Academy where the is extensive training online. 

Vinnie

• Upvote 1

Looks like you may have a wrong wall setting on the short wall , (roof plane lines are messed up)  and I see no overhangs on the left hand side of the house? maybe rebuilt with every default on , especially the Roof Directives in the Wall DBXs ( dialog Boxes.)

Also, it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in please, especially with the Software Version,
and of course a Name is nice too :) ..............see mine below in Blue for how to do that.
If you don't see my Signature then you have them turned off for the Forum
Toggle it on in UserName>Account >Signatures...... go to the Upper RH Corner of Forum Window.

If you are using a Home Designer Product they have their own Forum , you have found the forum for the Chief Architect branded products.

Home Designer users have their own forum, HomeTalk, where you will find suggestions based on your software, over here :

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/

M.

23.thumb.JPG.19104c1d7bce64a412f20b13c4f347af.JPG

• Upvote 1

Hi,

He are more images of my issues

When I' trying to align fascia at the back, the back gable gets almost flat.

There are also weird thing at the front coming from main gable and from left side of front gable.

In the inside, where the ceiling is cathedral, there is "check" I can't fix.

again thank you for you help :)

back.png

inside cathedral.png

Side.png

I don't think that there any two roofs with the same pitch - any reason for that?.

That roof should be a piece of cake for the auto roof generator.

Why are you doing it manually?

To be able to fix the roof for you, we would need to know the pitch of each roof, the ceiling heights in each room and the overhang of each roof plane.

Oh, and if you want the eaves to be the same height for different roof pitches/overhangs.

Once you set the correct information in the plan, you can auto build the roofs.

I attempted to make a YouTube video of my look over of your plan, the video did not work but what I found was inappropriate settings in many walls which caused ALL and I mean ALL of your problems. This software is not smart (it was designed and created by smart people but it is YOU who has to apply any intelligence it may have) it relies utterly on your intelligence and guidance to lead it to a result. You need to spend more time studying your Reference Manual and Users Guide BEFORE trying to do ANYTHING more with this software. To do so would be irresponsible and time wasting. We all here, suffered through our own learning curves, which includes lots of failures and some successes along that road. All I can see is that you did a lot of wrong guessing and little or no study and practice (shame on you).

DJP