Gaming Keypads For Hotkeys

GMTinc

Anyone using a gaming keypad, like a Razer, for accessing hot keys? Would much rather have CA make provision for the 3d connexion devices, but since that seems not to be on their agenda, i was thinking of this option as a halfway measure. I like trackballs as opposed to mice and have never found one with many buttons

Thoughts and experiences appreciated

You simple need controller software for the Razer.  

On a Mac, ControllerMate is compatible with the Razer DeathAdder, Diamondback 3D, Nostromo, Naga 2014 and Tarantula.

ControllerMate can be programmed to any keyboard shortcut, you just have to make sure the input device is compatible.

I use ControllerMate with XKeys for CA, it works very well. XKeys can be used with Windows.

Since I'm on a Mac, I don't know of compatible software for Windows.

Tried some 'high tech' mice and other devices (spent hundreds) only to find they have very short life spans, most less than a year, especially  'Logitech' devices. The more keys, buttons, etc.., the more likely for failure...  For now I'm sticking with a $30 (or less)  mouse and the keyboard...

Beg to differ, I am currently using a G600 in my right hand with 12 side buttons X 3 mapped to various hot keys and numbers and an MX310 for my left hand; both Logitech both working well.  The 310 is at least 6 years old with heavy use, the G600 a year and a half with no sign of failure yet. 

I change modes on the 600 for a number keypad that works surprisingly well, Another mode for all the electrical tools, and the final mode that includes keys mapped to undo, line, box, text, make parallel, break, etc. The 310 I use the side buttons for copy/paste, and the rest for cntrl, join roof planes etc.  I hardly ever touch my keyboard which for me is speedier.

My Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman (trackball) has 8 programmable buttons and is probably 8 years old at least , I also have a number of their 4 button Marble Mouse (Trackball) but they are simple 4 button mice with no scroll wheel etc which is why I have the Trackman , wheel  is great for zooming in chief.

I use a Razer DeathStalker when I'm running in "Desktop mode".  Using gaming/mechanical keyboards are more an ergonomic issue for me, but I do map keys for the OS and various software, though not in CA.  Works like a champ.

jon

Thanks for all the suggestions. Took a look at xkeys and I think that may be the way to go. Number of keys is I suppose the question. 24 seems good to me. More, and my age-onset dementia will be a limiting factor

Thanks to all

Thanks for all the suggestions. Took a look at xkeys and I think that may be the way to go. Number of keys is I suppose the question. 24 seems good to me. More, and my age-onset dementia will be a limiting factor

Thanks to all

Just be aware that to program and label the keys takes a couple of hours

• 4 weeks later...

Logitech G13

I've used this for years and I love it 

Basically I only use the main keyboard when I write text, the rest is with my mouse and the G13.

It has speed up my plan drawing massively.

I also have my email address on one touch.

attachicon.gifg13-gaming-gameboard-images.jpg

Hi Allan , decided to order a G13 after seeing your comments , it turned up yesterday so I was wondering if you would mind sharing your Profile(s) for it , hoping it will give me an idea as what will work best where since you've used yours for some time , thanks. 

Curious which software you are using too , mine came with Ver.3.03 Key Profiler which appears to be from 2009 ?   website is showing LGS 8.55  

Mick.

Yes it works but will depend on how its programmed , I have it set to be the Arrow keys today to try it  and it is scrolling/zooming and moving items in 3D but seems to be working properly today after I installed the 3.06 Software from Logitech's FTP site after reading about it on their Forum. With 3.03 the arrow keys didn't auto repeat if you held the JS over but are now .... unless it was the reboot between last night and today, that now has it working as expected?   That was why I was hoping Allan might post his profile......

Have not loaded 8.55 software yet though.

EDIT   it is still on sale today Curt at Amazon $59  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NEK2GE/ref=pe_783330_122571400_em_1p_0_ti

Mick.

Hi Curt and Mick,

The way I have my profiles set up I'll need to send my chief hot keys as well and I'll need to delete a few things off the profile so try to find time soon.

When I first set it up I made a Layout in Chief with a map of the key pad and went through want I used the most I'll see if I can find that as well.

I use the joystick for changing the camera mode and the two buttons either side, one for fill screen and the other for point to point.

I have G15,G20,G21,G22 all set with the different copy and paste functions.

In our office I have my computer with the keypad and one for our big screen with just a normal key board and it really does seem very slow using the tool bars and normal hot keys.  

Well for $30 plus shipping Curt I don't think you can go wrong if Charles can hook you up......

BTW a lot of the photos I have seen of the G13 make it look like it stands on end  , with the screen up off the desk but it in fact lies flat like your keyboard.

You will probably get used to it faster than me Curt , as I have feeling only in my Pinky due to an accident about 4 yrs ago , but I think it will work better than reaching for the keyboard all the time as I am not a "sit up straight" and type kinda guy anyway....always been a sloucher :)  so think this will help with my more relaxed sitting posture.

Mick.