Interior wall material wrapping

renosud

Hi,

I use CA almost exclusively for remodel work on old stone properties in France. I keep running into the issue below, which is needing to use two different wall thicknesses in the same run of wall to reflect typical recessed windows in old stone properties. I usually draw one wall,  than use the cut wall tool exactly where I want, and then create a new wall but the internal material [in this case plasterboard - is this called drywall in the USA?] will not wrap around the cut edges leaving the main layer materials on view? An ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks as always

George Palmer

walls.png

7 hours ago, renosud said:

Hi,

I use CA almost exclusively for remodel work on old stone properties in France. I keep running into the issue below, which is needing to use two different wall thicknesses in the same run of wall to reflect typical recessed windows in old stone properties. I usually draw one wall,  than use the cut wall tool exactly where I want, and then create a new wall but the internal material [in this case plasterboard - is this called drywall in the USA?] will not wrap around the cut edges leaving the main layer materials on view? An ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks as always

George Palmer

walls.png

If you really want an answer, post the plan.  I'm guessing its a wall definition problem though. 

7 hours ago, renosud said:

Hi,

Thanks as always

George Palmer

walls.png

Using the Wall Cut Tool and Assigning two different Wall Thicknesses , works for me, at least in a quick test Plan.... but only if we use a standard Nth.American Type Wall it seems.

trying with a 12" thick and 6 inch Brick wall doesn't , so the Wall definition may have something to do with it for sure.... need to play some more perhaps... but it maybe a Bug and one Idaho doesn't test for ?

Maybe the Reverse Wall Trick may work for this too?

M.

Using Solid reversible Walls does work , if a bit of a Hassle , basically you have to turn the Whole House "Inside out" after it is drawn, and then install the Doors and Windows into non- reversed Walls,  this causes issues on Gable ends but is easily fixed....but too much time is taken for what should work OOB I think....so I think CA needs to deal with this properly.

M.

Have a play with this Plan.....

Solid Brick Walls_Reversed Plan.plan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Apologies for delay I have been off line for a while. See attached a simple version of the same 'not-wrapping' issue for Kbird1 and Alaskan_Son to look at. The wall type is a typical wall type for my work, which is a thick stone wall normally 500-700mm with a plaster in the inside and lime based traditional render on the outside. See here an web example. You'll see the not wrap condition on a wall composed on 2 wall thicknesses in the same plane.

Any ideas - is it me?

CP

NOT WRAPPING EXAMPLE.plan

The problem for example with David's method is that the inner layer in 3D still extends past the main wall layer end by it's thickness as it expects to return on the end but doesn't, so after a bit of messing with Furred walls etc , that didnt work well and were too time consuming eg for a full house..... I just went back to the oldest trick in the CA Book ...using a Cabinet Soffit or in this case a Partition since both accept Moldings and I made one the full height of the room 30mm thick X 220mm deep ( 20mm thick didnt meld well at the corner) with the same material as the Wall inner layer. I made the Window wall 60mm or so longer to accept the partitions down the side of the Casing too. The Partition can be saved to the Library and easily dropped into Plan from then on for a quick fix as need.

33.thumb.JPG.875e70cf03b64054c474fffae94675e0.JPG

NOT WRAPPING EXAMPLE_MHD.plan

Thanks to you all for a range of solutions to this.

Kbird1's option with the partition wall seems an easy fix and a future rolling solution just a little bit easier than chopsaw but both work well while preserving the wall materials integrity. Excellent. Perhaps Chief can fix this in due course, seems logical to have internal/external layers always wrapping between wall thickness intersections, can't really think of condition where it wouldn't be desirable.

For David - excellent French pronounciation! For the Francophiles 'enduit taloche'  is pronounced 'en-dwee talo-shey' In the USA/Canada I think you would call it 'stucco' its a very old hand-finished render technique still commonly used in the Mediterranean for external finishes on stone buildings see here

If any of you are in the South of France let me know - always a bed available with a glass or two thrown in.

George

• Like 1

6 hours ago, renosud said:

Thanks to you all for a range of solutions to this.

Kbird1's option with the partition wall seems an easy fix and a future rolling solution just a little bit easier than chopsaw but both work well while preserving the wall materials integrity. Excellent. Perhaps Chief can fix this in due course, seems logical to have internal/external layers always wrapping between wall thickness intersections, can't really think of condition where it wouldn't be desirable.

For David - excellent French pronounciation! For the Francophiles 'enduit taloche'  is pronounced 'en-dwee talo-shey' In the USA/Canada I think you would call it 'stucco' its a very old hand-finished render technique still commonly used in the Mediterranean for external finishes on stone buildings see here

If any of you are in the South of France let me know - always a bed available with a glass or two thrown in.

George

Hi , I hope you report this to CA tech Support too George, so they look at it and hopefully fix it , it still happens sometimes in Framed walls but my guess is they don't get many people reporting this issue , so it won't get looked at....

M.