Drawing Walls (Click-Hold-Drag-Release)

4hotshoez

In most drawing programs, CAD or otherwise, the sequence for drawing is click-release-drag-click-release, which is what I am use to. While trying CA for the first time I noticed that it is not so easy to get used to CA's sequence for drawing, click-hold-drag-release. It is less "action", but I find myself having to erase little stub walls created by my click-release method.

My question is, is there a setting that can change this input method to the "Autobad" method?

No, but if you start drawing your walls by right-clicking, you can draw them continuously which might be even faster in some cases.

Whaaaat? NEVER knew that. Great tip.

BTW I have an employee who uses ACAD and he was showing me how to draw lines etc. and it was crazy making but I got used to it for small tasks and editing ACAD files. Never used the  click-release-drag-click-release method in any other CAD program so had a hard time getting used to it but I managed. 

Alternate input methods are fairly common. Hidden, but very useful. They are documented in the manual and help. Alternate input methods are available by using Right-Click, ALT-Click or by using the menu/toolbar mode switch.

My favorites:

1) Right-Click to draw walls and lines. Right-Click drag, release, drag, click, drag, click...

2) Right-Click on end edit handle to curve a line or wall etc.

3) Right-Click drag to do a 2D array multiple copy.

4) Right-Click drag a corner edit handle on a polyline to maintain the angle.

5) Right-Click to move a wall without it extending attached walls.

• Upvote 1

No, but if you start drawing your walls by right-clicking, you can draw them continuously which might be even faster in some cases.

Yes but you need to set that up in "Preferences". maybe he didn't have that set up correctly. 

While we are on the topic of hidden features.

One of the more powerful things for learn Chief is to take advantage of the contextual help.

If you hover the mouse over a toolbutton, menu, edit handle, or if you are in a dialog. Hitting the help key (F1 on Windows), will take you directly to the help for that item.

The documentation for Chief is actually way more complete that documentation for most programs these days.

The help contains all the information that is in our manual and is possibly the least used feature in Chief. Almost every how to use Chief question that is posed and answered on this forum is learnable from the help system.

Another underutilized feature is the support database, which has articles on most of the common things that our support team deals with.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/database.html

Yes but you need to set that up in "Preferences". maybe he didn't have that set up correctly. 

Perry, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think right-click to draw continuous walls needs to be set in preferences, at least it wasn't necessary when I just tried it... 

Perry, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think right-click to draw continuous walls needs to be set in preferences, at least it wasn't necessary when I just tried it...

Yes, this is the setting I was thinking about but It for when you stop drawing a wall.

post-113-0-47395400-1407460935_thumb.png