Hanging Deck Joist

smandile

Hello all

I'm new to Chief and using X10. I'm trying to build a deck but cant seem to find anything that will allow me to hang the joist on the inside of the beam. See attached photo. Also I am trying to support the beams on metal bearer supports sitting on concrete footings. See photo. 

I'm sure I am missing something pretty simple here but cant seem to get a solution. Can anyone provide some insight or point me in the right direction for some help.

Regards

2018-03-16_13-46-08.jpg

2018-03-16_13-44-32.jpg

2018-03-16_13-45-06.jpg

New users can commonly be expected to be unfamiliar with the software. They can be counted upon to say "it won't let me, it doesn't or it won't..." referring to an inability of the software as opposed to a lack of knowledge and competence in self. It is not a crime to be a new user, we all were once new users and needed help from others. Part of the learning curve before you is finding out what the software does and does not do "automatically". Where the software fails to deliver it is then your job to step in and handle whatever is askew and then move on to finish your work. 

Automatic tools and not actually "Automatic", such tools operate upon presettings you manually customize or factory presettings. Whenever you see improper application by the software, it is usually a setting that you were unaware existed. The thing to then do is to find that setting, understand what that setting does and then use that setting in the future. Otherwise, you just have to step in and manually bring things aright, like an old paper and pencil draftsperson using his eraser to make corrections on paper.

DJP

The Simpson Strongtie Library has some Post Holders you could use to approximate the Post supports I think , otherwise you would need to Contact KlevaKlip and see if they have Sketchup or Other 3D Models available. ( Or are Willing to make a Chief Library)

Not sure Why in CA Deck Beams can't be made Flush and at the end like normal Floor/Ceiling Beams can be....or I missed something too...

FREP- Fibre Reinforced Engineering Polymer Joist Hangers are a new one on me... not available here though....

http://www.klevaklip.com.au/Klevaklip-building-products

I download the hangers from the 3D warehouse. When you set up the framing defaults, make sure you uncheck BEAM BELOW JOISTS and the beams you draw will be flush with your joists. Not too complicated once you figure out how to let Chief do the work for you.

Screenshot 2018-03-16 20.46.55.png

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

I download the hangers from the 3D warehouse. When you set up the framing defaults, make sure you uncheck BEAM BELOW JOISTS and the beams you draw will be flush with your joists. Not too complicated once you figure out how to let Chief do the work for you.

Screenshot 2018-03-16 20.46.55.png

He is talking about doing a Deck Joey and I didn't think the Auto Deck Framing Tool allowed for that?

Perhaps if you built the deck with no Beams and drew your own Beams it would work? 

Should be easy enough to change the Hanger material to Black to get what he wants..... 3D Warehouse probably is more extensive forSimpson , I am not sure when the last time Chief's Library was updated.

M.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Rob thanks for the translation looks like a manual frame build will be the way to go with the deck.

Joey I've had a look at the framing defaults and I agree with Mick, as far I can work out they don't seem to apply to a deck. Is this correct?  I just thought I might have been missing something that would make build the frame a bit easier. As far as the connectors go I just need something that is close so should be able to find something in the library or 3d Warehouse, thanks for the tip.

MIck, Klevaklip have some products that sell in North America but I dont think the joist hangar is one of them.

Regards

Sean

11 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

He is talking about doing a Deck Joey and I didn't think the Auto Deck Framing Tool allowed for that?

Perhaps if you built the deck with no Beams and drew your own Beams it would work? 

Should be easy enough to change the Hanger material to Black to get what he wants..... 3D Warehouse probably is more extensive forSimpson , I am not sure when the last time Chief's Library was updated.

M.

I don't think CA or Simpson offer any 3d symbols......Unless you go through a 3rd party like 3d warehouse as mentioned above.

12 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Deck framing should also have this control, Beams > Placement > "With Joists" or "Under Joists"

I build decks this way more often than not.

2 hours ago, jscussel said:

CA has a number of 3D Simpson Strong Tie symbols in the Manufacturing Catalog.

Yep the "3D Objects" are the 1st Folder in the Simpson Library ...at least in X9 and X10 libraries

*** just checked and there is "limited 3D" for X8 too Rob

https://3dlibrary.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?r=site/detail/796

2 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Deck framing should also have this control, Beams > Placement > "With Joists" or "Under Joists"

I build decks this way more often than not.

Do you mean I missed the Setting or is this a Suggestion for CA ?  I agree if it is a Suggestion..

Got it  :)

• Upvote 1