Question

TerryDunn

Good day,

So I have been using Softplan for years. I have two computers set up (because my son-in-law talked me into a Mac, which I do like) and of course Softplan does not support Mac. So I started to compare CA. My options are buy another computer and upgrade the soft plan, cost of computer and $1500 for upgrade, OR simple use my Mac and switch to CA, which is simple since my Mac is new.

The question: Im a builder, I do not do 3d renderings, I just draw floor plans and elevations type drawings. So can I accomplish that with Interiors? or do I need to get Premier?

I guess the Interior title is making me think its only for interiors...

I agree with Eric maybe Home Designer Pro would work for your needs and I beleive that if you decide to go with the primer version they alot you some of the money you paid for Home Designer but check with Chief Sales on that one

• Upvote 1

I am a builder as well and would suggest stepping up to a full version.

The ability to create full construction docs is well worth the cost.

And for my money, being able to view the entire structure from any angle- with any framing view- so that you are fully confident the design is buildable in the field........ there's the real value.

Interiors now has annosets and plan views same as premier still doesn't have framing or terrain. If you decide to go for full version I still have a copy for sale

In a moment of weakness I offered it for $100 less  with a one hour session if someone bought it this week. I'll stand by that until Sunday.

15 hours ago, solver said:

7 hours ago, RL-inc said:

I am a builder as well and would suggest stepping up to a full version.

The ability to create full construction docs is well worth the cost.

And for my money, being able to view the entire structure from any angle- with any framing view- so that you are fully confident the design is buildable in the field........ there's the real value.

I agree and think that would be useful....but when you say full version is that Interiors or Premiers? 

I have never used interiors - only Premiere since Ver 9- but if this is your profession I suggest using the full version of Premiere.

It has been an incredible asset in growing my business over the last 10+ years.

And as a builder I am sure you know the value of buying the right tool the first time ;)

11 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

I have never used interiors - only Premiere since Ver 9- but if this is your profession I suggest using the full version of Premiere.

It has been an incredible asset in growing my business over the last 10+ years.

And as a builder I am sure you know the value of buying the right tool the first time ;)

Sure, but if interior does what I need then Im good with that. I can buy a circular saw like say bosch or I can buy Festool, right? Im playing with the free demo

I do not feel interiors is good for builders , it is  more for interior designers . with premier you have it all . With home designer you are limited to the # of pages & details you can do.I have both programs. Download the trial versions . i can not say enough about how good premier is, and if you are a builder you WONT BE SORRY !!! With elevations the need for specfic details arise & premier will let you edit some blocked details for your needs & save those items to your user library for future use .

you can get by with homedesigner it just takes longer to do certain things plus how the 2 diffrent programs work can be frustrating sometimes while you are in the learning stages !!

with premier the layers & layer sets are great for construction documents 

Just now, RL-inc said:

Agreed with Cross above- but your call either way. I just know how valuable Premier has been fro me- never a regret.

Ok, thanks. Im not arguing with you, Im just trying to understand the options. Ill let you know if I have any questions

11 minutes ago, crosscutter55 said:

I do not feel interiors is good for builders , it is  more for interior designers . with premier you have it all . With home designer you are limited to the # of pages & details you can do.I have both programs. Download the trial versions . i can not say enough about how good premier is, and if you are a builder you WONT BE SORRY !!! With elevations the need for specfic details arise & premier will let you edit some blocked details for your needs & save those items to your user library for future use .

you can get by with homedesigner it just takes longer to do certain things plus how the 2 diffrent programs work can be frustrating sometimes while you are in the learning stages !!

with premier the layers & layer sets are great for construction documents 

Thanks, kinda what Im looking for is why it is better. Now Im torn as I can just upgrade my soft plan which Im already use to and buy a new computer for less that this cost. Just have two computers sitting in my office