Winders not working

40mstew

I'm sorry, but this still isn't working. I draw 3 stair risers, a set of stairs, 3 more risers, option/alt and rotate. Stairs become too long, click on "winders" and I get a messed up hand rail, 2 stair risers on top and bottom with some funky stair rail that goes off into space. WTH!!

19 minutes ago, 40mstew said:

what a pain in the butt. CA really needs to make the stair tool work better. 

Thanks.

you are correct what a pain and until the stair and railing tools are revamped totally it will be a pain, I spend way to much time on some of the steps I need to do

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, solver said:

I cut your stairs, fixed the walls and pasted the stairs back.

I'll suggest that in a house like that, winders on the main stair are not appropriate -- good for small house where space is really tight, not so much in a nice larger home.

I'm curious as to why winders are not appropriate? Is it just a "carrying furniture up the stairs" thing or some architectural thing I have overlooked?

Thanks

18 hours ago, solver said:

I cut your stairs, fixed the walls and pasted the stairs back.

I'll suggest that in a house like that, winders on the main stair are not appropriate -- good for small house where space is really tight, not so much in a nice larger home.

I'm curious as to why winders are not appropriate? Is it just a "carrying furniture up the stairs" thing or some architectural thing I have overlooked?

Thanks

I would like to see a video of you creating the stairs with the winders just as the pic you posted here. 

• 4 months later...

Eric also demonstrated in a post 11 Aug 2017 "Stair Layout" how to draw the complex landings as a polyline set to the correct heights, and then convert the polylines to a Landing, and then complete with the straight runs of stairs. Wee bit of work, but works well especially when the automatic method is struggling.

Nice video.

One thing I would add is that you can just enter +8.125 in the DBX field after the current value to get the new value. It comes in handy.

In Florida, the code will not allow us to use a rise greater than 7.75" and to make matters worse the inside of the winder must be 6"

Yes, I though it was a particularly good video (stair winders appear to be a challenge for many including myself) - this video by Tim uses the automatic function to get one started, then manually edits it to get the desired result.

I first tried CA probably 15 years ago, but found myself running into too many dead ends (most likely due to my lack of expertise) so dropped using it.

Coming back to it recently, I've been pleasantly surprised too see how much manual editing is now possible - the best of both worlds.