Ca Capabilities

JofAMofN

I'm looking at buying CA possibly, I need to someday draw plans and build on to my house, so looking for something to do that as well, but for now, I'd like to get something that can do simpler things too, like my shop, pole barns, etc.  Shop's are probably a no brainer, but the pole barns may be different.  I saw one place somewhere say that it's doable with CA, just have to stand on your head.  I guess the biggest question, does it have the capabilities of computing the engineering aspects?  And that goes for regular designs too, can it give me beam sizes, joist sizes, etc.

does it have the capabilities of computing the engineering aspects?

Engineering is for State Licensed Structural Engineers.

Chief Architect and Home Designer software are tools and in the hands of competent end users allows such persons to design whatever they like once the tools and conventions are learned-practiced with.

You learn how to draw and then draw, you learn how to create and then create whether you use a pencil and eraser or a computer, such skills are learned and mastered.

You cannot buy competence, you earn it by study followed by practice and an intention to accomplish something.

DJP

• Upvote 1

Chief or HD Pro don't do engineering Calcs as they are usually ,by code done by Engineers in most places.

However even Home Designer Pro  (and Chief)  can do Pole Barns and other such structures easily , there are even tutorials on how to do it.....

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00598/

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/search/?q=pole+barn&default_tab=all&site=chief_architect&client=chief_architect&restrict=ChiefArchitect&proxystylesheet=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefarchitect.com%2Fsearch%2Fchiefsearch_stylesheet.xslt&output=xml_no_dtd&submit.x=14&submit.y=12even

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-01081/

Thanks to all the responses... I realized engineering is based on local codes... but, as with anything that CAN do engineering, you install the plugin or whatever with the CAD info... Can either CA or HD do that?  support the CAD modules with the engineering in them?

Thanks for the KB's too.. .that was more the question in this post than the engineering... well, 50-50 I suppose...

CA products can't do plug-ins

CA products don't have inter-operability using BIM

even tho Chief is parametric 

Chief Premier has a very limited (lame) implementation of RUBY

until RUBY can access ALL of Chief's "innards" ???

Lew

I'm looking at buying CA possibly, I need to someday draw plans and build on to my house, so looking for something to do that as well, but for now, I'd like to get something that can do simpler things too, like my shop, pole barns, etc.  Shop's are probably a no brainer, but the pole barns may be different.  I saw one place somewhere say that it's doable with CA, just have to stand on your head.  I guess the biggest question, does it have the capabilities of computing the engineering aspects?  And that goes for regular designs too, can it give me beam sizes, joist sizes, etc.

I think there is a pretty big misconception of CAD and 3D design programs out there amongst those who haven't delved into them much...

None of the programs really DO anything for you (much like a router won't build your cabinets or teach you how to).  They simply make drawing and figuring things a little quicker and more efficient.

In short, and for all intensive purposes; if you don't have the knowledge, expertise, and general ability to draw something up by hand and do the calculations on paper, a design program won't make you any better at that and most certainly won't draw up plans for you.  It will making general and basic ILLUSTRATION possible for your average user, but as far as construction documentation goes, engineering, calculations, specs, etc...thats still all on you.

Yes, CA can do it all for you, all you have to do is input the needed information and CA will do all the engineering calculations for you and even submit the plans to the city.

Andy.

Feeling a little grumpy today Andy?