Can you 'unsymbol' a symbol?

warrenwest

Hi folks.

I created a symbol from scratch which took long enough. Then I realised it contained a small error that needs to be corrected. How do I 'unsymbol' or unblock this symbol to correct it? Simply opening the symbol is not enough.

20 minutes ago, warrenwest said:

Aw bugger. Nope, didn't save the original plan. Lesson learnt.

Need to move a molding slightly. 

Complete redo then?

Who knows.  It really depends on what exactly needs to be done.  Post the symbol along with a description of what needs to happen and you'll get a much better answer. 

No worries Michael. Found an acceptable 'workaround' in the meantime. Simply reversing the object in elevation view will be enough for the carpenters. 

The symbol in question is the custom wooden door arch with glass panels below ;)

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 11.39.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 11.39.42 PM.png

59 minutes ago, warrenwest said:

Aw bugger. Nope, didn't save the original plan. Lesson learnt.

Need to move a molding slightly. 

Complete redo then?

Ouch....all that work and you didn't save the symbol plan?   tsk tsk  :)

So you guys save a .plan file for every custom symbol you create? Or is it better to save the working part as a "architecture  block" and add that to the library since you can then load that block back from the library, explode it, and make corrections if need be? Seems like either method could get a little cluttered.

2 minutes ago, misterwiley said:

So you guys save a .plan file for every custom symbol you create? Or is it better to save the working part as a "architecture  block" and add that to the library since you can then load that block and explod it to make corrections? Seems like either method could get a little cluttered.

For me it really just depends on the symbol but more often than not I use the Architectural Block method.  Also another thing I VERY commonly do is save all the parts and pieces to the library until I’m 99.99% sure I’m done and the delete everything I doubt I’ll ever use again.

At the end of the day, you’re right...all methods can lead to a lot of clutter and so we have to just make decisions sometimes.  If it took a crazy amount of time to model?  Sure, save the parts in a warehouse plan or in your library.  If it was pretty easy?  I’m a lot quicker to just delete it.  

Also, there are a couple other methods that work pretty good too.

1.  Just keep the parts and pieces in the plan you originally created them for.  To me personally, this is often easier on my memory than some plan or library object naming scheme I thought up on the spot.  

2.  Just export the library object to your “junk drawer” and only import it a year from now when you really need it.  Not much different then using a plan or the library except that it compartmentalizes things just a bit further and makes exporting to legacy plans a bit easier than opening another plan.

Its a tuffy. 

1 hour ago, misterwiley said:

So you guys save a .plan file for every custom symbol you create? Or is it better to save the working part as a "architecture  block" and add that to the library since you can then load that block back from the library, explode it, and make corrections if need be? Seems like either method could get a little cluttered.

HDD Storage Space is Cheap , so I have a Folder for Symbol Plans yes ...just incase I have to go back a fix something or I need it in another Width of something like that. And I usually leave Notes to myself too in th ePlan , so if I Open it 2 yrs from now I know what I did or any issues I had..

My library has enough "Crap" I have to scroll through already, so I usually only keep Blocks if needed as I usually save them in the Saved Plan (above) anyway.