drafting duplex

On 3/14/2018 at 7:36 PM, rispgiu said:

I am always blown away by the support, encouragement and information received by this community :).

You guys are the best and in my opinion you make CA worth more than what it costs. 

Thank you all sooooo much.   

+100 :)

15 hours ago, VinnieVicon said:

You can go to 2015 IRC code book and it will tell you there. Unless this is something very unusual,  the building official doesn't like to be bothered with questions that are in the code books.

Vinnie 

Thank you Vinnie. 

• 1 month later...

Back a couple years ago I created this initial model for a spec builder/pastor.  He wanted it for much less than I was asking for.  So here you go.....free.  And as with anything free, I wasn't very CA skilled, so the model might have issues.

I was able to build one side complete and then mirror it with a 2" separation gap.  I owe much to the great work by all the experts here and the videos some have created.  Thanks!

Ontario St Duplex_R1.plan

• 1 month later...

In New York State you are only required to have a (1) hour fire rated wall between a two family (duplex). This is possible with a single stud wall with specific drywall at each side. Different areas have different requirements, but it's pretty economical here.

You can reference R302.3 in the 2015 IRC and UL Design U305. This meets the code here in Upstate NY.

• 3 months later...
On 3/14/2018 at 1:32 PM, para-CAD said:

Every party wall I ever framed was (2) separate walls. 

Some had fire-rated GWB in the 2" gap space plus sound batting 4x8 sheets.

I have a sketch at the point in time in this video

Your plans blew me away. Specifically the amount of detail you put into the framing. 

On 10/18/2018 at 10:51 PM, MCassady said:

Your plans blew me away. Specifically the amount of detail you put into the framing. 

Thanks for the kind words, Mark. 

I was a framer for a long time.  I just want to make plans that can be useful on the job site.  Some builder's don't care...some do.  I have fun trying to make things go smoothly from the design onward.

• Like 1