Changing window styles in entire house

HSTeacher

I'm new to CA with experience in Revit. How do I change all window styles from double hung to casement in the entire house? In Revit I can choose a window, right click to select all instances, then choose a new window and they all change. Is that possible in CA?

Thanks

You can select multiple windows then Open and change the type, but not in all cases. For instance it doesn't work if you select single windows along with mulled windows. 

The easiest way to multi select is using the Match Properties tool but it will select both mulled and single units so it's limited for your purpose.

9 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

The easiest way to multi select is using the Match Properties tool but it will select both mulled and single units so it's limited for your purpose.

This isn't quite true.  It will only select what you tell it to select based on the properties that you specify.  If for example, you want to change all double hung windows to casement windows...

Select a double hung window, click Match Properties, check "Type", open the group of windows, change them all to casement, and then click Okay. If you want to specifically EXCLUDE mulled units from the group selection process when using a different selection criteria, just make sure to check "Is Mulled Unit" (the value of which is false).  This will only select other windows whose "Is Mulled Unit" value is also false.

Thank you for the input and guidance. I got it to work, but just feel it takes a little longer than Revit. The more I play with CA the more comfortable I know I'll be with it. I do like a lot of the features in CA. Thanks again.

How do I change all window styles from double hung to casement in the entire house?

Learn how "dynamic defaults" work in Chief and you can probably save yourself a lot of work.

If all of the windows in the plan have their "Window Type" set to "Default", then all you need to do is change the default window to a different type and they will all automatically update.  Just double click on the window tool to bring up the Window Defaults specification dialog box.  Change the Window Type to one of the casement types. 

For things that do not have dynamic defaults, then using a method such as group selecting, match properties, or replace from library would all be good options.