Way to change room height without bumping up roof?

shea-sheabuilder

This is a 1.5 story "T" shaped house with 3 gables. The leg of the T looks over a lake and incorporates the main family room where the ceiling is 4' taller than the rest of the main floor. When I build the roof the new room height bumps up the main roof by the 4' as well, giving me multiple roof planes. I'm confused on why Chief doesn't just extend the roof on leg of the T into the main roof by just making it longer. My guess is the interior walls of the room go up 4' as well which causes Chief to build upon them. I placed an invisible wall at the T and main house to cordon off just the T and made it 4' higher and that caused a funky truncated gable end with a roof that sloped down towards the main house. This supported my theory that the interior wall heights of this room were driving the roof behavior.

I'm assuming I just need to manually manipulate roof planes to get this to work?

Roof Problem.pdf

Or, you could use Roof Baseline Polylines.

This allows you to alter the floor plan and room heights as much as you like and the roof won't change unless you edit the Roof Baseline Polyline.

Start off with your lower ceiling heights so that the auto roof builds the roof correctly, then build Roof Baseline Polylines.

You can now change ceiling heights and the roof will stay put because it is building off the Roof Baseline Polyline and not the room and wall information.

Note that you can edit the Roof Baseline Polyline if you need to change the roof - shape, height, type, slope, etc.