CA design and construction question

Larry_Sweeney

1. I have an unusual foundation where I need three different block sizes in the same wall, at different levels on multiple walls. Is the best way of doing this to use the 1st flr. and the foundation levels together to show the foundation I'm trying to build? Is there another way to accomplish this or is how I'm thinking the best approach. I thought maybe I could just attach p-solids to the wall, for the 3D model, where I needed the third size larger block and show a cad detail in different section views. I'm thinking this may cause less problems "down the road" on the construction docs.

2. Where you have multiple sized blocks in the same wall is there a "rule of thumb" which blocks are shown in plan view? My thinking is to show them all with the different block sizes as different line types or color (if using colored prints). Does anyone have a better suggestion. As always, I appreciate each and everyone's time and advice.

If you have an opening in the wall, show the level that will allow the opening to still be visible. In other words..a pony wall of CMU on the bottom and 2x4 framing on the top, with a window in the framing (think daylight basement), I would show the framing part of the wall so that I can dimension the opening. I will put a dashed CAD line to show that there is a thicker wall below, note it, and can dimension to that CAD line if needed.

If the different size wall thickness is linear, then I would simply place a break in the wall and choose to use the new wall type accordingly.

Hope that helps.

I would use an extra floor level (open below) for the 3rd wall thickness.

IOW the Foundation is made up of Floor Level 0 & 1:

• Bottom two wall thicknesses on Floor Level 0 using a Pony Wall.
  • Upper wall thickness on Floor Level 1 (Open Below).
  • 1st Floor Plan on Floor Level 2
  • 2nd Floor Plan on Floor Level 3
  • etc.

Use the "Saved Floor Plans" to designate the names. 

The Foundation would be displayed with Floor Level 0 as the main foundation and Floor Level 1 as the reference plan.

• Upvote 1

Joe...............That was my first thought. Then in plan view for the foundation would you take all the measurements referenced from the furthermost outside block? Would you show all the different block sizes in the foundation plan view by using different line types for each size of block or just show the differences in wall sections where they are needed or both?

Well-----------I'll be starting the project tomorrow. I think I'm going with using two levels for the foundation. I'm a little hesitant on how I'm going to show the foundation plan view using the two levels. I guess I'll have to play around with a new reference display layer. Thanks to all for your time and advice. Have a great day.

3 hours ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Joe...............That was my first thought. Then in plan view for the foundation would you take all the measurements referenced from the furthermost outside block? Would you show all the different block sizes in the foundation plan view by using different line types for each size of block or just show the differences in wall sections where they are needed or both?

I would set the Foundation to be dimensioned to the same surface as the upper Framed Walls.  I would also add "Construction Grid Lines" and cross section details to clarify for the contractor.