Chief X10 lousy camera views

VinnieVicon

Try turning on "Edge Smoothing while Idle" in the Camera Defaults or in the Camera View itself in the Edit Camera DBX.

If that doesn't help you'll need to provide examples so people can help

Also, it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in please, especially with the Software Version,
and of course a Name is nice too :) ..............see mine below in Blue for how to do that.
If you don't see my Signature then you have them turned off for the Forum (Toggle it on above
 where you make your Signature or are perhaps you are on the CA Mobile WebSite?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, VinnieVicon said:

Thanks guys, Vinnie is my name, I've been a Chief user since 1999. I'll post a 3D view of what I'm taking about soon. This all started with X10, X9 worked great. 

They have changed many of the material etc so they look better in the new PBR View but are still updating the Libraries as fast as they can..... see the Lets PBR thread and the settings in Post no#43 for that setup.  RayTracing does not look good any longer either due to the material Changes made for PBR views.

M.

8 minutes ago, VinnieVicon said:

This is what I'm getting with using the 3D camera view. I don't know how this is happening or how to fix it.

Vinnie

Version-7  to X10 

X10 Camera View II.jpg

X10 Camera View III.jpg

X10 Camera View.jpg

Fill in your system specs in your signature ( see mine) ....I suspect you have an Older AMD Video Card , they have known issues in X10 with Ambient Occlusion.

M.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, solver said:

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Try turning on "Edge Smoothing while Idle" in the Camera Defaults or in the Camera View itself in the Edit Camera DBX.

X8, I think, did away with Final View.

I meant the Edge Smoothing when Idle setting , not the Final View that was in X8

11.thumb.JPG.3224fc340ca031d9d8f5ee476951c704.JPG

12 minutes ago, VinnieVicon said:

Chief X10 

Win7 

OpenGL Render AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series

OpenGL Version 3.3.13399

Max Lights 8

Video Memory 1024 MB 

Driver atig6xx.dll

Driver Version 15.200.1062.1004

Driver Date 8-3-2015

The "rings" are due to Ambient Occlusion and how Older AMD Cards handle it ...CA  reported in another thread ( above) , that they were trying to find a fix for it.....

• Upvote 1

Did you find an answer to the 3D problem? I had the same issue (lousy camera views) and support told me to download an update to my AMD Radeon driver (HD 7500). I did that and now all I see is the generated sky. No textures, roofs, walls or anything displays. Still works fine in X9. Do I have to get a new video card to make X10 work?\

Thanks for any help, Bruce

The only answer Provided so far is in the thread above and that was to totally disable Ambient Occlusion on Older AMD Graphics Cards , though something maybe up with you if you now see nothing at all . Perhaps Add your Signature to your Profile ( see mine for how below) so others can see what the Hardware you have and the Driver version in Use currently too.

@Brian_Beck   is one of the CA Developers , and the advice below was his in January .....I have seen no further news on the matter but with luck he will see this Post.

We are aware of an issue that is occurring on older (7-10 year old) ATI cards that causes the ambient occlusion to generate incorrectly as shown in the original images.   We are looking into seeing what we can do to resolve this.

For now the best workaround as you have already discovered is to turn off the Ambient Occlusion on these cards.

Hi JBHamner, I just saw your post. It appears as though X10 needs more graphics card horse power and that's a bummer because I don't have the money to blow on a new card or computer.  I wish Chief would take into consideration the cost of these things. X9 was working great not problems now I'm in a bind because I'm in the middle of a project that requires lots of renderings. 

35 minutes ago, VinnieVicon said:

Hi JBHamner, I just saw your post. It appears as though X10 needs more graphics card horse power and that's a bummer because I don't have the money to blow on a new card or computer.  I wish Chief would take into consideration the cost of these things. X9 was working great not problems now I'm in a bind because I'm in the middle of a project that requires lots of renderings. 

Yes, it's a bummer, I'm in the same boat. Luckily, I was following the discussions here re: issues with rendering in X10 and so have yet to start a new project in it. I'm playing with X10 but still doing workflow in X9.

I want to take advantage of all the other great new features, but rendering has to be sorted first.

I don't have this issue ( Ambient Occlusion ) with any rendering software like Thea Renderer, etc and I never had this issue with any other software except x10 Version, not sure why. I hope they get a fix in the next update if one is coming out anytime soon, for now, I turned everything off and do all the rendering in Sketchup.

I put my computer and card info on my profile.

My system isn't 7 to 10 years old. More like four years. Granted, four years is getting old for hardware, but there are a couple of reasons for that. One, speed is no longer an issue with PC's. Four years old is about as fast as current systems. Two, not sure I want Windows 10. Have it on my laptop and have had some issues. Cortana for one. You can't turn it completely off. MS collects information from you whether you like it or not. My tech guy won't upgrade from 7.  My guess is that if I download X10 to my laptop, there will be no video issues. 

5 hours ago, JBHammer said:

I put my computer and card info on my profile.

My system isn't 7 to 10 years old. More like four years. Granted, four years is getting old for hardware, but there are a couple of reasons for that. One, speed is no longer an issue with PC's. Four years old is about as fast as current systems. Two, not sure I want Windows 10. Have it on my laptop and have had some issues. Cortana for one. You can't turn it completely off. MS collects information from you whether you like it or not. My tech guy won't upgrade from 7.  My guess is that if I download X10 to my laptop, there will be no video issues. 

It looks like you didn't check the box/button at the top of the Signatures Panel to allow/Show Signatures as I don't see one ?  hopefully you see Mine ?

It may depend on what VideoCard is in the Laptp too.....

Ask your Tech Guy if he has an older Nvidia card lying around , with 4GB for X10 is best , or look on Craiglist or Ebay or ask your Tech Guy to do it or keep an eye out for another client upgrading.... Graham one of the other users here just got a 1060 6GB Card this week and noticed a big performance increase , though the newer 10 series Nvidia cards are very overpriced right now due to Crypto-mining and memory shortages , which is why I suggested 2nd hand.... but spread over 2-4 years especially for business use it is likely worth it.

M.

Thanks Mick, I'll look into making a card switch. Or I may just use X9 until they address the issue. I'll call them again on Monday.  However, I don't see any checkbox for "show signature."   Only one for "Enable status updates" which is green'

1 hour ago, JBHammer said:

Thanks Mick, I'll look into making a card switch. Or I may just use X9 until they address the issue. I'll call them again on Monday.  However, I don't see any checkbox for "show signature."   Only one for "Enable status updates" which is green'

Where you typed in the Signature you should see a View Sigs. Button at the Top

The Pic also has my Signature with instructions if you don't see Signatures now.....

6.thumb.JPG.34cd50d39bfe1e56ff25966d4f9c1283.JPG

3 hours ago, JBHammer said:

That's weird. That button doesn't show up on my page. Below is what I post for information and a view of the dialogue page.

signature.JPG

Card porfile.JPG

PC profile.JPG

You are not in the Account>Signature area.....

It seems they are by default turning Signatures Off for new members , this is what is at the bottom of my Posts in my signature...How to instructions

*** to fill in your Signature like this .... go up to the top RH Corner above and click on your UserName> Account Settings> Signature.... and

enable Signature (will Turn Green) then add your Hardware Details and Chief Software Version, as different Version require different Answers.

***To add Pics to your Posts please use Windows Snipping Tool , found under Windows Accessories in your Start Menu,

Save the Snip to your Desktop and Drag it into the Light Grey Area of the Reply Window.