Door Headers

builtright3

3 hours ago, builtright3 said:

I thought I was just loosing my mind. Thank you for clearing that up!!!

Yes, Please Chief fix it ASAP!

Thank You Eric

It's not a Bug , it a new Feature :)  ,  so to turn it off for all Doors including Doorways .......Open that Doorway and under Options, select Hide Top Edge.

Select Automatic to display wall surface lines only when the selected door is a Doorway.

• Select Show Top Edge to display wall surface lines regardless of the door type.

Select Hide Top Edge to not show wall surface lines regardless of door type.

Please Chief fix it ASAP!

First of all, let me remind everyone that you should not try to report bugs to us using this forum.  Please see the forum guidelines here: 

Second of all, as Mick indicated, it's really not a bug since we designed the program to work this way.  It's fairly common practice in architectural drawings to show door openings with dashed lines to indicate that they don't go all the way up to the ceiling.  This new feature eliminates the need to manually draw these lines in.  We also provided tools to force these lines to display or to turn them off for any particular situations that we could not account for.

So, my question to you is, why don't you want to show these lines?  Are there any ways we can improve the automatic behavior for some common situations?

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I have a situation right now where I will be removing a doorway header in a remodel project.  I won't have to draw any additional cad lines, I can just turn on/off the layer, depending on the floorplan view.

I typically do not include the headers above doors, as I have never encountered a door/window that doesn't have a header, so to me it is redundant to show the header.

I have been transitioning to X10 since June.  Why did Chief feel the need to rename 'Doors, headers' to 'Opening Header Lines'.  Way to much time wasted trying to figure out where that layer went.

1 hour ago, allaboutkitchens said:

Why did Chief feel the need to rename 'Doors, headers' to 'Opening Header Lines'.  Way to much time wasted trying to figure out where that layer went.

Around X5 I started to keep a printed copy of the "What's new in ..." handy to ease transitioning (header change listed on pg 6 or 1372 in ref manual) and to be sure to test out everything new.

After using a new version for a while I still end up checking the "What's new" section of the reference manual (PDF) when I can't remember exactly how a new feature works. I keep the older versions too in case it was new a while ago and I haven't used it much. Saves time, makes new features useful. Just a though.

Just as a clarification, here's the definition and why it makes sense:

• Header - the structural member above an opening.  It's on the "Framing, Headers" layer and the linestyle can vary from one Layer Set to the next.  Currently Chief shows these as a rectangle the width of the wall framing.  In reality most ConDocs would show them as a "Single Heavy Line" (dash, short_dash, dash).  This modification has been requested.  Hopefully it will be done before X11 but probably not.
  • Opening Header Lines - the wall surface above an opening. They are on the "Opening Header Lines" layer and the linestyle can also vary depending on the Layer Set.  This is useful for "Reflected Ceiling Plans" where you would want them to be "Solid".

The way Chief showed the "Opening Header Lines" in the past, calling them "Headers" was incorrect.

Note:  A really good way to find such things and what Layer they are on is to select an object and open the ALDO.  There you will see all the layers associated with the object and can toggle their display.

• Upvote 1