Room dividers

johnny

Does anyone know why room dividers often (id say more often than not in my situations) revert to being invisible walls of the same thickness as the default interior wall style?  Its like the room divider tool doesn't even actually work.

They do that whenever there is a structural change between rooms.  To address this problem I recommend one of 2 things...

1.  Change the default setup for your room divider to make it .01" thick (either in the general tab or in the wall definition itself).

2.  Make yourself your own custom room divider wall type that is a single layer Insulation/Air Gap...that is also .01" thick.

I use this type of wall more often than I use the true 0" thick room divider.  Its far more useful for all sorts of things.  The 0" room divider still has its place though.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

They do that whenever there is a structural change between rooms.  To address this problem I recommend one of 2 things...

1.  Change the default setup for your room divider to make it .01" thick (either in the general tab or in the wall definition itself).

2.  Make yourself your own custom room divider wall type that is a single layer Insulation/Air Gap...that is also .01" thick.

I use this type of wall more often than I use the true 0" thick room divider.  Its far more useful for all sorts of things.  The 0" room divider still has its place though.

Good idea - thanks.

• Upvote 1

I know what you all are saying but I don't even get the difference between a room divider and an invisible wall. The layer is the same for both and I don't understand that either.

I understand the concept of it I think but why are they not totally separate from each other as tool?

10 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Great Advise!!! Thank You!!!

• Upvote 1

You're welcome guys.  That wall type is actually one of my most oft used little tricks in Chief.  It's one of the items I've added to my toolbar even.  Just create the wall type, add it to your user catalog, add a Place Library Object button to your toolbar, and then assign your new wall type and a decent icon.  My icon just looks like a line and I placed the button up by my wall tools. 

5aa15f8c52c7b_Pic1.thumb.jpg.dff2dcaa6fb674ff9c8dcdbeedda410b.jpg

I don't remember which version "room divider" was added

but I did notice/complain that there was inconsistency when it or invisible walls were mentioned or listed in the various dbx's or menu's

I think in only one place where both listed - in each of the other places it was one or the other

I don't know if it that is still the case - if so, it only leads to confusion

also, if CA knows about this "workaround" being needed then they should fix the room divider

Lew

There's nothing wrong with the Room Divider.  It was made for a specific purpose.  The problem is that people are trying to use it for different purposes. If anything I guess the tool could be renamed "Room Finish Divider" and a new "Room Structural Divider" could be added.  It really just comes down to understanding wall definitions though.  None of them are really unique tools.  Chief just gives us a few pre-configured options is all.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

In X10 don't we have Room Divider and Room Divider_2 by Default in Wall Types or did I already do what Michael suggested and make a copy at 0.01" ( changes to 0" on dbx close)

M.

That's funny! Sounds like me.

There is only one room divider so you must have done it.

The Problem:

Does anyone know why room dividers often (id say more often than not in my situations) revert to being invisible walls of the same thickness as the default interior wall style?  Its like the room divider tool doesn't even actually work.

The Workaround:

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hmmm, sounds like a problem with a workaround to me

seems like a fix is needed somewhere ???

Lew

Lew,

There is no problem or fix needed.

A Room Divider is an invisible zero thickness wall - that's what it is meant to be.

You cannot use it to divide 2 rooms with different floor or ceiling heights because in that situation, we would need a wall of other than zero thickness to fill in between the floor and ceiling platforms.

Chief knows this and changes the Room Divider wall to the default interior wall style).

You can change this wall to any thickness or type you want.

What sort of fix would you propose?

• Upvote 2

Glenn:

Johnny is an experienced user - if he is having issues then it would seem to be a problem

maybe not, but sure looks like one

then Michael: has a nice workaround - if there is no problem then why is a workaround needed ?

Lew

So far, nothing in this thread addresses why CA needs to automatically change zero-width walls to a thicker wall thickness.

Understood that CA changes them, but why is it necessary?

Why would a "Room Divider" that divides an open space into two "rooms" ever need to be more than zero width?

Why would the software arbitrarily override my desire for the Divider to remain zero width?

It seems to me that this behavior defeats the purpose of the wall type.

It's a thing that makes you go "hmmmmm"

23 hours ago, glennw said:

You cannot use it to divide 2 rooms with different floor or ceiling heights because in that situation, we would need a wall of other than zero thickness to fill in between the floor and ceiling platforms.

This comment escapes me. What is it about differing floor or ceiling heights that causes us to need a thicker "Invisible" wall??