How to display only the main layer of ICF wall in 3D view

pacificstart

I am using X8 and I can't figure out how to display only the concrete (main layer) in in ICF wall.

The interior fir framing shows up fine, including concrete floor layers.

But the ICF wall is either displayed entirely with all the layers - including the insulation form block - or not all all - depending on whether I switch the layer "Walls, Normal" on or off.

So I tried to create a new plan and take it step by step to figure out what is the setting that I'm missing. Turns out I can't display framing in a new plan no matter what I tried - the default 3D Framing Layer Set renders absolutely nothing. I think whatever causes this may be related to the issue I'm having with my ICF walls.

Any ideas?

I attach the dummy plan here 

3d framing.zip

38 minutes ago, pacificstart said:

So I tried to create a new plan and take it step by step to figure out what is the setting that I'm missing. Turns out I can't display framing in a new plan no matter what I tried - the default 3D Framing Layer Set renders absolutely nothing. I think whatever causes this may be related to the issue I'm having with my ICF walls.

Have you built the framing?

Yes this is a display issue with Chief and I ran into this a couple projects ago where I wanted to display a floor and CMU pony wall with framing on top in my 3D framing Set and it was quite a bit of work to get it correct.  No magic layers to turn on or off.

Not exactly sure why you want to display the ICF core so maybe I am not understanding correctly but only framing materials display in the 3D Framing set for walls and framing materials are hard wired to be on centers and it does not quite work to create a solid framing material so it displays without voids.  I have sent in a request but it has not made it into the software yet.

Maybe a bit more background or a mock up illustration so we understand what you need and we can work on it together.

As shown in the attached image, in X8 I merely set the drywall layers to "Opening no Material", the inner and outer layers of the ICF wall to "ONM" and the framed exterior wall, same thing but left the OSB sheathing. I am guessing that is or is close to what you want.

DJP

solved.jpg

Instead of using an ICF wall use a concrete wall.

Then make another one layer wall type wall as the Insulation layer only and tuck it up against the concrete wall.

Maybe make it 1" thick foam insulation as the main layer.

Designate the insulation wall to be no locate and shut off no locate walls in the 3d view that you want. Hope this helps, Bob

Really not sure what your goal here is, but you can always temporarily change your material definitions, get the views you want, and then change them back.  Just select your finish materials one by one and on the General tab of the Define Material dbx, change the Material Type to "Gap".  When you're finished getting the views you need, change them back. 

You can also optionally just create copies of the materials to speed up the changing back and forth process. 

12 hours ago, glennw said:

Is this what you are after.

The ICF wall hatching looks a a bit iffy in plan view, but may be acceptable.

What type of 3D views will you be using? 

New Image_46.jpg

There are all good suggestions here but what Glenn has posted is exactly what I am trying to do in perspective 3D.

I am not sure why you made that custom hatching for the plan view.

In any case - I was hoping I can do this only via the Layout display option.

I would have expected this could be done by displaying only the Main Layer of the walls without having to juggle with anything else. Based on all the answers this sounds like a missing feature.

If you want to just draw it and forget it, then draw the ICF core as a polyline solid and place it on a unique layer that is only on in your 3D Framing View.  I think that is the best possibility for now.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:24 PM, GeneDavis said:

I've built with ICF and am curious to know why one would want to see a 3D view of a such a structure this way.

Who needs to view the concrete core as if the styrofoam forms were stripped away?  And why?

My son is doing a presentation to his classmates on how an ICF house looks like and I was hoping there is an easy way to turn these layers on and off do the kids can see this easily.

The other thing you might try is a wall material region set to transparent and cut away to main ( concrete ) layer for demonstration purposes and then when you get X10 there is another new tool that works with symbols and can give even more flexibility for layering in cutaways.