Applying Plan Views to Legacy Plans

lavorhaynie

Just installed X10. Getting my feet wet learning about "Plan Views". Watched videos, scanned ChiefTalk, read help files. 

I use legacy plans for about 80% of my work. Is there a way to import plan views into pre-X10 plans?

Thank you!

LaVor Haynie

Been Chiefin' since 2004...

9 hours ago, lavorhaynie said:

use legacy plans for about 80% of my work. Is there a way to import plan views into pre-X10 plans?

Unlike DS HALL and Mark, I do not fully understand your question. I have files saved by version back to Version 7 on my HD ( I have clients that still use older, legacy versions). I have had zero issues creating copies of old .plan files and bringing them into Chief X10. That is the main use I have for X8 since it does open old legacy files after saving them in X8 I can then open them in X9 or X10 and do then whatever needs doing with them. If you, as you say, spend 80% of your time on legacy plans, X8 is a must have application.

DJP

8 hours ago, MarkMc said:

In older plans-I picked annoset/layerset, zoom to view you want, save plan view as. Repeat as needed.

Older legacy just don't have the Pre-made Plan Views like the x10 OOB Template Plan for new drawings but as Mark said you can make your own quite easily. Depending on your Toolbars, you may need to add the Plan Views Drop down and Save Buttons to make it easier.

I also wonder if you could copy old plains into a new OOB Plan and get them that way? haven't tried it myself....

Why didn't this new feature come with an import option?  I realize some or based on the 'zoom', but if I don't want those after import I can delete them.  That is easier then having to recreate them all over again.  Plan views should also be available in cad detail windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I wish we had import/export capabilities for plan views also.  Then it would match what we already have for layersets and annosets.  I was just working with some older plans yesterday that I wanted to use as a base for a remodel and was frustrated by this.  While of course we can create new plan views each time, it still takes a lot more time than a simple import would, plus with importing, you could make sure you had a consistent set of plan views in each file with all the underlying settings (floor level, save zoom or not, etc) how you expect them.