Railings

Douglas49

How does one show the balustrade or railing side fixed to a balcony rather than surfaced fixed as per this example?

This appears to be the default setting for both solid and open balustrades and I can't locate where this can be changed to side fixed.

Where I come from, side fixing is the norm, especially for membrane and tiled balconies.

balustrade side fix.plan

2 hours ago, Douglas49 said:

How does one show the balustrade or railing side fixed to a balcony rather than surfaced fixed as per this example?

This appears to be the default setting for both solid and open balustrades and I can't locate where this can be changed to side fixed.

Where I come from, side fixing is the norm, especially for membrane and tiled balconies.

balustrade side fix.plan

Do a Search on Fascia Mounted Deck Railings , it has been discussed a number of times..... it however, is still not automatic in X10, like the Surface Mounted Railings. ( Which are really Walls in Chief ).

2.thumb.JPG.1714cf44ef937aadec86d7739882588d.JPG

I just now did a "search" using the term "fascia mounted deck railings" and found two threads where this has been discussed here in the past:

and 

Took me about three seconds to do. Read the entire threads and that will be enough to get your started.

DJP

Posted by @glennw  in my Other thread .....with one change for X10 make sure Generate between Platforms is OFF on the Structure Tab 1st.

1. You can do the fascia mount railing with 1 wall definition.
  2. No invisible walls needed.
  3. Define your railing wall definition with an additional external layer with Opening (no Material). 
  4. This will offset the whole rail by the wall layer thickness.
  5. Check Generate on Low Platform (Rail Style...Build From...) 
  6. Convert it to a non-railing wall and drag the bottom down - **** you can't drag down a railing.****
  7.                  ie uncheck Specify Railing on the Railing Tab and Close the DBX, Pull the wall down as needed , in Elevation is easiest , Open the DBX again     re-Check Specify Railing and RE-Check generate on Low Platform.
  8. Convert back to a rail.
  9. The main drawback of doing it this way is that you get a single corner post that would be difficult to support.

*Note : I just found you can do the drop on one side and then in plan view pull the wall around and over the Other two walls so the drop is done automatically.

Try these Fascia Mount Deck Rails and see if they work . one is Metric from your Plan.....

MHD_Fascia Mount Deck Railings.calibz

12.thumb.JPG.07d40239fad77c8b2a05a0953984ecf5.JPG13.thumb.JPG.0232cb2f0c5a76eb10f395d5e38e836a.JPG14.thumb.JPG.0aff4f1b0024e422cc98ab519bdaff7e.JPG

Sorry but still can't get it to work for me. I've tried the suggestions above (building on 2nd floor and then dropping, the ramp option and Micks comments above) but still not happening.

The file attached is what I want - all I need to do is to drop the railings down 300mm.

Is there not a straight forward way this can be done?

deck balustrade study 2.plan

• Upvote 1

Douglas,

Like this.

5a9cbf565157a_NewImage_37.thumb.jpg.1c1049fab3e1222997903e92f483ce5e.jpg

Did you miss item 6?

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

6. Convert it to a no railing wall and drag the bottom down - you can't do that with a rail.

So convert the rail back to a wall, drag the bottom down, convert back to a rail.

Eric,

You just beat me!

Douglas,

You used an invisible wall to define the deck and then you added a freestanding railing.

The other way is to build an invisible layer in your wall railing definition which offsets the rail from the edge of the deck.

That way, you only need 1 wall to both define the deck and display the railing.

17 minutes ago, glennw said:

Douglas,

Like this.

5a9cbf565157a_NewImage_37.thumb.jpg.1c1049fab3e1222997903e92f483ce5e.jpg

Did you miss item 6?

So convert the rail back to a wall, drag the bottom down, convert back to a rail.

All you missed Doug was when you convert to a Wall it loses the Generate on Low Platform check mark , when you switch it back to a Railing you need to check it again.... and it will Drop down as expected.

here is your plan back............. done in X9.

MHD_deck balustrade study 2.plan

Mick,

The way Doug has drawn the deck with an invisible wall to define the deck and a separate wall for the rail, he doesn't need to use Generate On Low Platform.

You actually changed Doug's drawing by making his railings enclose a room -- have a look at the original drawing and note that the railings do not connect to the main external wall - they are not forming a room.

What you have done is connect the railings to the external walls, thus forming another deck.

Hence the double up of the Deck room name - you have 2 decks in your plan.

You could join the deck rails up to the external room and then make any one of them a No Room Def wall to get the same result as Doug 0 just different ways to skin a cat.

Either way, you don't need Generate On Low Platform.

39 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

You both bet me while I was making a video.  But I believe this is your technique Glenn.

Thanks for the comments and especially the video - I've got it now.

Wasn't fully clear on the process of converting the railing to a wall and back again, but the video made that really clear.

Regards

I didn't notice the Invisible Wall true, Doug has come up with his Own method :) , I just thought there was an issue with the Railings in Plan View , so I dragged them to the wall to see if it would fix itself and didn't look into it further . You are right it doesn't need "generate on low platform" with Doug's Invisible Wall Method but having it checked doesn't matter either it seems? at least from a quick play.

Good method if you don't want the 1/2 Post on the Wall.

M.

Doug's Invisible Wall Method works nicely if you want a Two Post Corner , the walls can be pulled back from the Corner without them wanting to snap back together.

Below I removed the Top Rail from the Railing DBX and Made my Own with a Molding Line so both the Top Rail and 2x6 Cap continue around the Corner.

15.thumb.JPG.96f233fe54f3fd250670c09a635c5953.JPG

M.

• Upvote 1

brick sill.docx

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Doug's Invisible Wall Method works nicely if you want a Two Post Corner , the walls can be pulled back from the Corner without them wanting to snap back together.

Below I removed the Top Rail from the Railing DBX and Made my Own with a Molding Line so both the Top Rail and 2x6 Cap continue around the Corner.

15.thumb.JPG.96f233fe54f3fd250670c09a635c5953.JPG

M.

Mick

That's a really good look at the corner - very authentic.

I'm newish to CA still getting my head around it - haven't done much on polylines etc yet.

Could you talk me through how you did the top rail please

- how you got the top rail shape

- how you got it in the correct position

- how you got it to follow the line of the balustrade - it looks like its part of the original component (very good)

Also, I have attached a drawing of a brick house showing the detail at the sill - i.e. it should project a little out beyond the brick face to provide a drip edge.

Chief doesn't appear to provide this look - the sills under the windows are flush with the exterior face of the brick.

I guess a sill can be drawn on with a polyline or something - is there a simple and quick way of adding these sills to a model?

Regards

brick venner question.plan

brick sill.pdf

21 hours ago, Douglas49 said:

brick sill.docx

Mick

That's a really good look at the corner - very authentic.

I'm newish to CA still getting my head around it - haven't done much on polylines etc yet.

Could you talk me through how you did the top rail please

- how you got the top rail shape

- how you got it in the correct position

- how you got it to follow the line of the balustrade - it looks like its part of the original component (very good)

Also, I have attached a drawing of a brick house showing the detail at the sill - i.e. it should project a little out beyond the brick face to provide a drip edge.

Chief doesn't appear to provide this look - the sills under the windows are flush with the exterior face of the brick.

I guess a sill can be drawn on with a polyline or something - is there a simple and quick way of adding these sills to a model?

Regards

brick venner question.plan

brick sill.pdf

Hi Doug , both are done with custom Mouldings drawn full size in section , then the closed polyline added to the Library where it becomes a Moulding automatically.

This Deck Hand Rail was Applied with a Molding Line 1"/25 mm  from the outside of the  Railing Wall with the Moulding set to extrude to the inside.

The Brick Sill here was done with a Cut Brick drawn in section and saved to the Library and then applied to the Window Sill in the Window DBX. In this case I modified the Brick texture and made a Brick Sill Texture (material) too, so it looked Right. ( the quick and dirty method )

Your Brick ledge at the foundation should have a drip too? , so for a 75mm Brick set it to 60mm? with a Foundation overhang of 15mm? or ???

Ended up deleting the walls of the house in yourplan as I could not get them to change to Brick....very weird , i have not seen that one before...

M.

22.thumb.JPG.10de4b56cf793a58af717a7fe6b3f33b.JPG23.thumb.JPG.f81829746dda91e62af81684edf31c4b.JPG24.thumb.JPG.bb900c08c84a1ca3e9f7f6a264469cbf.JPG

On 05/03/2018 at 6:45 PM, Kbird1 said:

Thanks Mick.

I obviously need to do some serious study on polylines, mouldings etc. and get up to speed

Great software, but heaps to learn.

Regards

@Douglas49          Its a deep program and you can just gloss the surface I guess but there always seems like there is something new to learn , the Forums are invaluable in my experience, especially after a New Release like X10.

There is a Series of Vids on CAD Work as a Primer..... Focus: CAD 1 , 2 and 3  ( videos 9904,9905 and 9906)  and probably 20 Others I am still working on myself .....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/97/17-cad-tools.html