How do I now resize a view sent to layout in X10?

adventhomes

Ok so it used to be really really simple ... if I wanted to resize a view (such as a plan view) after sending it to the layout I could just grab a corner of the view on the layout page and drag out to make it bigger.  All of a sudden all this does now is literally pull the corner and make a weird shaped box but doesn't resize the view.  I know I can right click and resize that way via the Transform/Replicate option, but it's more guess work to fill the page and much more time consuming.  What am I missing that something previously so simple is now not??  I am hoping there is a setting somewhere to override whatever this new "feature" is.

Thanks.

• Upvote 2

OK figured it out ... one of the Preferences seems to behave differently compared to how I have had it set for the past umpteen years. Changed to Resize and works how I wanted it to.  Not sure what the purpose of the new default setting is but working as I want it to so happy again ;-)

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 9.42.51 PM.png

I think this was fixed for the final release of X10 but still can't figure out how to make it work the way it did in X9 without a major workaround. 

2.25 Layout
• Unscaled layout views can now be resized from the corner using the Alternate Edit
Behavior.

X10 allows the Layout Box to be "shaped" the same as any other PLine.  That's why the resize doesn't work the same as it did before - unless you change the setting in Preference for that functionality.  I think there's also a Toolbar Button that can be used.

It is really sad to loose such a critical functionality that was just one click.  I used this all the time.  Why could the new function not have been the alternate ?  In X9 we had both mouse buttons doing the same thing and resizing from the corner edit handle while keeping the correct proportions and ratio.  I used this for all of my Images and 3D illustrations.

Can anyone do it the old way in less than 9 moves ?  This seems totally unacceptable to me.:(  If one wants to mess up the proportionality why not just grab the edge edit handle.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Can anyone do it the old way in less than 9 moves ?

I must be missing something here.  I don't understand what the problem is.  Right click and drag seems to do exactly the same thing as anything I ever did on X9. 

• Upvote 2

See my response to my own question from 12hrs ago ... it's a setting in the Preferences which seems to have changed in terms of what the default does compared to what the default used to do.  Also Joe Carrick already answered this above confirming my findings (thanks Joe).

14 minutes ago, adventhomes said:

See my response to my own question from 12hrs ago ... it's a setting in the Preferences which seems to have changed in terms of what the default does compared to what the default used to do.  Also Joe Carrick already answered this above confirming my findings (thanks Joe).

You don't need to change that setting in preferences and you don't need to totally switch Edit modes.  All you have to do if you want that particular functionality is press the X key before you start dragging (which temporarily puts you into the Resize edit mode).  You can also simply Control or Shift select your layout box and then resize to get the same result.  

I see now that what Chopsaw is looking for is the ability to drag one corner while the opposite corner remains stationary, and have the layout box change scale without changing shape.  For that, and assuming we're just talking about a rectangular layout box, I think these are the 2 fastest methods:

1.  Switch to Rotate/Resize about current point, place a point at the opposite corner, and drag corner using using the X key. 

2.  Draw a diagonal line from one corner to the other and drag corner along line using right mouse button or while holding the Alt key.

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2018 at 12:46 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

I must be missing something here.  I don't understand what the problem is.  Right click and drag seems to do exactly the same thing as anything I ever did on X9. 

Yup that is what I thought.  Seems like if you all knew what you were missing you would also be quite upset like me.

Workaround is as follows :  ( Which is from you originally Michael ) :)

1.  Place Temporary point in opposite corner from where you would like to resize.  3 clicks.

2.  Clear Temporary point marker tool ( space bar )  1 more click.

3.  Select  Rotate / Resize About Current Point tool.  1 more click.

4.  Select Image. 1 more click.

5.  Hold down X key or right click on corner edit handle to resize.  1 more click.

6.  Now clear the Rotate / Resize About Current Point tool and temporary point. 3 more clicks.

So on closer analysis it seems to be 10 clicks.

As I was testing and typing it seems that you remembered what I was talking about but Chief obviously is not aware of what they have done.:(

Thanks for the workaround suggestions, but I think this needs to be fixed as this is the fastest most accurate way of layout for me.

• Upvote 1

I personally wouldn't consider the X9 behaviour "critical functionality".  Actually, it was rather unusual and awkward IMO.  Only the dumbest of objects actually work that way anywhere else in Chief, and as Joe pointed out, this was the inevitable cost of the added ability to reshape layout boxes (something everybody seemed to insist was ridiculous that we couldn't already do).  This seems to be one of the cases where everybody wants something but nobody gives any consideration as to what the cost might be.  Anyway, I hardly ever used the "feature" myself...only occasionally to reshape a 3D view so I guess I may not be as sensitive to your plight. 

On a side note, have you considered adding Rotate/Resize About Current Point (RRACP), Place Point, and Delete Temporary Points to your list of hotkeys or easily accessible tools?  You might even consider adding the latter 2 as regular hotkeys and just leave RRACP toggled on all the time.  In the absence of any temporary points, RRACP just behaves like the default behaviour.  I don't know, just a few ideas I thought I'd throw out there as it sounds like you're using that opposing-corner-anchored scaling functionality quite a bit.

Thanks Michael, 

I should make more use of hot keys and am starting to but will never leave something toggled on that sticks to my cross hairs any longer than absolutely necessary.

I will talk to my cousin and see what the standards are in graphic design software but to me it just makes sense to do it that way when you want to be accurate, otherwise you are just in a push pull scenario like the one you were trying to avoid with your recent locking dimension line suggestion.

I think I could mask a layout box almost as fast as what I have to do now for a regular process of resizing, which is the part that hurts so much.

Not that Adobe is the gold standard but their corner resize handles work exactly like X9 and then their crop tool works like the alternate edit tool in X10 where you can grab a corner and have free motion.  However Crop and Resize are two completely different functions and should be kept that way.

6 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Not that Adobe is the gold standard but their corner resize handles work exactly like X9 and then their crop tool works like the alternate edit tool in X10 where you can grab a corner and have free motion.  However Crop and Resize are two completely different functions and should be kept that way.

I guess I work like you Chopsaw , because I think they got it backwards as well , the new Mode should of been the ALT behaviour , so you could switch to it IF you wanted a weird Shaped Layout Box or wanted to change the Viewport , Hotkeys don't work for me well due to an old hand injury , so I have added the ALT , Resize and Default Behaviour Icons to my RH Toolbar , so I can switch as needed since I will never get used to right mouse dragging either :) , not as easy on a Finger Trackball ... still need to learn not to grab and drag , willy nilly , as I used too though.

M.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

While the ability to reshape layout boxes is pretty cool, I'm seriously disappointed in the lost of control over views sent to the layout sheet.  If I want 8 images identical in size on a layout sheet, I used to be able to send to layout, and edit the box length (say 8"), with "retain aspect ratio" checked. Does this not exist anymore?  Thanks!

John

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 4:52 PM, deaconjj said:

While the ability to reshape layout boxes is pretty cool, I'm seriously disappointed in the lost of control over views sent to the layout sheet.  If I want 8 images identical in size on a layout sheet, I used to be able to send to layout, and edit the box length (say 8"), with "retain aspect ratio" checked. Does this not exist anymore?  Thanks!

It seems to still exist but only for imported images.  You can use the temporary dimensions but I really don't think that is a satisfactory substitute for what we lost. :(

• 6 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 11:39 AM, KilianDrafting said:

You can also resize in layout by holding the SHIFT key and selecting (or reselecting) the layout box - the small handle on the top will now resize the view.

Doesn't work that way for me but, If I 1) Select the Layout Box and 2)Right Mouse Button Drag the Corner, it Behaves exactly as it Should and Used To in X9 when Corner Dragging with the Left Mouse Button. So, Once You Know "The Secret Handshake", everything's "Ok". This issue was driving me crazy until I read this thread!

I just wish that Chief would stop Screwing Up One Intuitive Function in order to Implement Another. By the way, the ability to reshape the layout box the same as reshaping a  CAD Box is fantastic (thanks Chief) and Intuitive as it should be. bB

On 3/2/2018 at 10:15 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

Like Chop pointed out, you can just use the alternate edit behavior.  Just right click and drag or hold down the Alt. key while dragging  

Ok, Right Click and Right Drag. (but you can Left Click and Right Drag too.)

For some reason (habit), I like Clicking and Dragging with the Left Mouse Button. When I Right Drag it feels like those times when I Boogered Up My Index Finger and Had to Use my Middle Finger until it Heeled. 

1 hour ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

Behaves exactly as it Should and Used To in X9 when Corner Dragging with the Left Mouse Button.

Appreciate the useful tip.  However you are not quite correct as we have lost the constraint that keeps the layout box proportional from X9 without the lengthy procedure I described above.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Appreciate the useful tip.  However you are not quite correct as we have lost the constraint that keeps the layout box proportional from X9 without the lengthy procedure I described above.

I guess I never used (or payed attention to) that feature. Will have to reread and investigate. I still have X9 on my home workstation. I only discovered the Resizing Method today, so it's been driving me nutz since upgrading to 10 on my work computer. Thanks, BB