balluster sapcing

crosscutter55

if i have 2 deck posts 3 1/2 "  with a space between the posts of 6' 6" & the ballusters are 1 5/8 " how can i set these ballusters to be an equal dimension in the 6'6" dimension ? I am manually doing this with polyline solids , the ballusters  spacing can not be more then 4" by code 

I think you had better edit your signature line.  Click on your name upper right, go to settings, then create a signature script.  It should include which version of Chief, and something about the system on which you run it.

We cannot offer specific advice without knowing this.

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Why not just set the baluster spacing in the railing dbx? 

I am curious what the Railing Tool/Tab isn't doing for you that would make you want to do this Manually?

M.

I wanted to try & draw it manually to become more familar with the dimension tools & transform replicate & multi copy tools . After following SOLVERS post i managed to get them spaced properly but cant get the running dim . or baseline dim . to display . the point to point tool worked but not the other 2 :wub: I drew a railing wall , 6'6 " entered  all the dim in the spec box , then used a cross / sec . elevation camera to view it . I cant figure out why they wont display 

15 hours ago, crosscutter55 said:

he ballusters  spacing can not be more then 4" by code 

Crosscutter, Just to clarify. It is not the spacing of balusters that is addressed by the IRC or the IBC, it is the opening between balusters. Section R312

What I mean by this is say you had a guard rail with 2" square balusters. With a maximum opening of a 4" as stated in R312.1.3, you would have an on center spacing of six inches

5 hours ago, crosscutter55 said:

I wanted to try & draw it manually to become more familar with the dimension tools & transform replicate & multi copy tools . After following SOLVERS post i managed to get them spaced properly but cant get the running dim . or baseline dim . to display . the point to point tool worked but not the other 2 :wub: I drew a railing wall , 6'6 " entered  all the dim in the spec box , then used a cross / sec . elevation camera to view it . I cant figure out why they wont display 

In this case I think it is just the location of your Camera , you need to put the Section Line ( back red handle ) over the centre-line of the Rail , so the dims will snap to the section lines and then ignore the warning ( click ok ) about snapping to them and point markers being added.

** watch the reach distance on the Dimension, (24" default) as if you go to low , it may also measure the Deck Boards.

M.

6.JPG