Ray Trace settings Help X6

Gawdzira

The first image shows the Raytrace I am getting with the settings in following images. I would like to get something better. I see a lot of pixelation at the edges and the overall feel is quite blurry. Which setting would be best to play with to get a sharper image. I let this cook for 6 passes in about 4 minutes.

Thanks,

Alan

post-170-0-14040200-1393636604_thumb.jpg

post-170-0-84993400-1393636612_thumb.jpg

post-170-0-40513700-1393636619_thumb.jpg

post-170-0-63739500-1393636637_thumb.jpg

post-170-0-05416700-1393636643_thumb.jpg

post-170-0-98900200-1393636648_thumb.jpg

Here are my typical exterior raytrace settings that You can try.

A) General

Increase number of passes to get rid of the pixelation. Try 10 passes or more.

B )Lighting

Uncheck Use CAmera View settings and use a dark grey or skyblue color.

Ambient Occlusion: min. .1 - max. 3 or 4

Direct Sunlight: 4 to 6

C) Advanced

Check only the Use Photon Mapping. Caustics and Depth of field are taking too much time to compute, prolonging render time. (You may also uncheck them altogether specially for exterior shots. Lighting Settings above may compensate enough for their absence).

D) Image properties

Contrast - 60%

• 10 months later...

Your desk is floating in air!

Eliminate the photon mapping for that light bleed.  This may require you to increase the ambient interior light.  Often settings for

a straight render are different that those for a ray trace.  The regular render may look way too bright but when you ray trace

without photons you will find the additional light works much better.

Here are my typical exterior raytrace settings that You can try.

A) General

Increase number of passes to get rid of the pixelation. Try 10 passes or more.

B )Lighting

Uncheck Use CAmera View settings and use a dark grey or skyblue color.

Ambient Occlusion: min. .1 - max. 3 or 4

Direct Sunlight: 4 to 6

C) Advanced

Check only the Use Photon Mapping. Caustics and Depth of field are taking too much time to compute, prolonging render time. (You may also uncheck them altogether specially for exterior shots. Lighting Settings above may compensate enough for their absence).

D) Image properties

Contrast - 60%

Your suggestions gave me really nice results, can anyone else here share their settings for interior rendering.

Hey Simonas, may I ask you what country do you live in?

It's a metric country, that rules out two countries, The USA and England. So out of the other 206 countries from where do you hale?

Based on the architecture behind you in your avatar..... First guess would be Spain, Portugal?, or is it a South American country?

It's a metric country, that rules out two countries, The USA and England. So out of the other 206 countries from where do you hale?

Based on the architecture behind you in your avatar..... First guess would be Spain, Portugal?, or is it a South American country?

Norway!:)

actually England is metric but like Canada many still use the "Imperial" measurements , neither Country has successfully switched 100% unlikely Aust. and NZ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_Kingdom

actually England is metric but like Canada many still use the "Imperial" measurements , neither Country has successfully switched 100% unlikely Aust. and NZ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_Kingdom

So I think what you are  saying is us folks in The Great US of A are the only people in the entire world who have kept our wits about us and have opted to stay with the more difficult and cumbersome Imperial System.

There are many RT settings/adjustments to "approach" a photo realistic image. To start, if you are setting up an interior RT, and if its one room, turn off all other light sources in other rooms. Then, set the RT image size small enough to see the detail you are after and let it run a few times to see your result...I find that after just a few passes, you can get an idea of what the final image will produce. The smaller image speeds up the RT. Again depending on what you are after, you may need to mess around with materials too. Once you are satisfied, resize the RT image. Be careful, you can get caught up with adjusting the lighting/material. Need to know when to call it quits.

As far as exterior RT, I pretty much do the same as Jintu (see above)...I don't use "Environmental Light" either, just raise the "Direct Sunlight Intensity" (some where around 5) gives great shadows. Smooth out the shadows, by changing the materials "roughness" value to have it look more realistic.

• 1 year later...