Measurement "exterior dimension" not correct

ChiefGrego

NOt sure if this will show it but tried to take a screen shot.  The Brick ledge is suppose to be set at a total of 5 1/2 Inches.  All corners calculate it at 5 1/2 inches except this one in the back right which is calculating 5 9/16.  Does anybody know why this is happening?

2018-02-25.png

Very interesting but someone would likely need a closer look that your screen shot.  Could be any number of factors or combinations and the plan file should be posted for a good answer on this one.  Also helpful to know what version you are running so people know if they can help or not.

Wall specification defines the total wall as 9 1/2 inches and includes the sheetrock.  All I did was to increase the "air gap" Layer to create a brick ledge that was 5 1/2" or formed with a 2X6.  I have done this before with no trouble.  The dimension is showing 5 1/2 on the left rear and  and 5 9/16 on right.  Anyway, total thickness of the wall layers was suppose to be  9 !/2.  

I just solved it during the crafting of this post, but can not understand why  moving the 1/16th inch thickness from "air gap" to the "housewrap layer would change how chief sees the calculation.  

If you cannot figure out what I am trying to explain, I understand.....cause I don't understand.... in the end I moved the width of 1/16th inch from air to wrap...most likely a glitch

Timmy _ A.zip

I think that you will find that the actual overall building width is actually 56' 10 15/16".

Well, (to be more accurate) it is really 56' 10 49/50" - you can see this by selecting an external side wall and then clicking on the overall horizontal dimension - after you fix the wall definition as outlined below.

What you are seeing is a combination of rounding error and a bad wall definition.

Open the wall definition, select the Housewrap wall layer and enter the 0" size again.

This will fix the wall definition and allow you to see that the width is actually 56' 10 49/50"

Go back to the plan and you should see the corrected dimensions - to the nearest 1/16" - the overall will show as 56' 10 15/16" (because of rounding) - but it is really 56' 10 49/50'.

You need to make the house 1/16" wider to get the correct overall width.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help on this Glen. I got side tracked and could not get back to the problem.  I did change the wall definition for Housewrap back to zero per your advice and it is straightened out ....Thanks again