Customizing Corner Cabinet Shape?

gdesignbuild

Good afternoon! I have been trying to figure out how I can chamfer the back of a cabinet to use it in an island. I can't seem to find anything online about this. I have included pictures for reference. The first photo is what I have and the second photo shows a red line where I would like to have this cabinet chamfered on the back side. Is there a good way to do this that anyone could show me?

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

8 minutes ago, gdesignbuild said:

Good afternoon! I have been trying to figure out how I can chamfer the back of a cabinet to use it in an island. I can't seem to find anything online about this. I have included pictures for reference. The first photo is what I have and the second photo shows a red line where I would like to have this cabinet chamfered on the back side. Is there a good way to do this that anyone could show me?

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

How will you actually be building that?  Are you going to use a cabinet shaped exactly like that?  Will there be skins/paneling added to cover the back side of the cabinet or will it be custom built with a finished back?  Or will that be built with a rectangular cabinet and skins/panels applied all 3 of those faces?

I'd probably use a typical rectangle base cabinet to get the correct door width at the front. Add partitions as panels to surround the back of the island, then I'd draw a polyline with solid fill to cover my fake cabinet. That way it would look correct in plan view, elevations, and renderings (except for inside the cabinet).

10 minutes ago, gdesignbuild said:

It will most likely be built at a custom cabinetry shop. I was just curious if I could represent it accurately in the plans.

Not sure you understand the reason for my questions.  Yes, the cabinetry CAN be represented accurately in the plans.  In order to represent accurately though a person has to know exactly how its going to be built.  Are we in agreement?  The method used to obtain the desired end results would depend ENTIRELY on how the cabinetry is going to be built in the real world. 

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

ot sure you understand the reason for my questions.  Yes, the cabinetry CAN be represented accurately in the plans.  In order to represent accurately though a person has to know exactly how its going to be built.  Are we in agreement?  The method used to obtain the desired end results would depend ENTIRELY on how the cabinetry is going to be built in the real world. 

Exactly. However, perhaps GDB means is that he doesn't need to draw 'how' to build the cabinet; but rather just 'to' build a cabinet. In that case, I wouldn't waste time trying to get to technical with the drawing unless I know the cabinet builder in questions is actually needing those types of details. Like Michael says, to draw it 'exactly' you have to know exactly how it gets built. Then you need to find a supplier who agrees with you. Typically the drafts person is no longer involved at this stage of a project...

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Exactly. However, perhaps GDB means is that he doesn't need to draw 'how' to build the cabinet; but rather just 'to' build a cabinet.

Yes,  but my point is, we still need to know the details.  One of the easiest solutions for example is this...

5a91e21f6a930_Pic3.thumb.jpg.e9fa91e3704cad32fc1e72ce14a77fb3.jpg5a91e21dc7e8e_Pic1.thumb.jpg.24bf2015607ec71e33f6bcf516183d32.jpg5a91e21eb0fad_Pic2.thumb.jpg.9a0c1034a8db39f9bd8febaa9214d68a.jpg

If the middle cabinet isn't going to be a rectangle then it could be masked...

5a91e21ff26a7_Pic4.thumb.jpg.e3a90f8295dfc50b86b687511f4eefb5.jpg

...of course this may or may not work depending on what you need for material lists, schedules, 3D views, 2D details, etc.  Completely depends on what the end goal is. 

31 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

It's actually a very common standard construction from many makers.

Yes, but its also common for the back of that cabinet to be unfinished and finishing that back can be a major consideration. 

It would not be out of the ordinary for us to actually build an entire island like that in one piece  or with extended back panels on the 2 side cabinets and splines to join the 3 back panels together.  Again, its all in the details. 

28 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes, but its also common for the back of that cabinet to be unfinished and finishing that back can be a major consideration. 

While I love details as much as the next and often do CAD for special cabinets In this case it's not really a big deal. All but one of the makers pictured would finish the back as a standard modification. One would want to add a 3/4 panel, unless I had it quoted and asked for flush.

Will the OP please enter the room and tell us if Michael's quick and easy solution (fillers) will be used?

I love getting into the weeds of the builds, because I detail stuff like this for CNC fabrication, but I'm betting the need here is for simple representation, just as is shown in Michael's post, above.

6 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

How will you actually be building that?  Are you going to use a cabinet shaped exactly like that?  Will there be skins/paneling added to cover the back side of the cabinet or will it be custom built with a finished back?  Or will that be built with a rectangular cabinet and skins/panels applied all 3 of those faces?

I did misread or misinterpret what you were asking. It would be a cabinet built in that shape. I more so just wanted to know if there was an easy way to represent it this way/shape as I have not messed around with customizing cabinetry in CA.

It's good to know all of these different tricks from everyone, which is partly why I posted; such a great wealth of knowledge here!

As some guessed, it's not an overly big deal as a designer from a cabinetry company can just take that info and make it happen. I just like to show things how people want them when I can.

Many thanks! You guys rock!!