Outside Wall Area

Hello again, 

In our area it is necessary to show on the plan how many square feet the outside wall area is together with the square footage of the windows.  This then gets converted into percentages to see if it complies with the fire code. Is this achievable in Chief Architect? 

Appreciate any help on this!!

The Window Schedule will Show the Sqft with Total if you choose to display it ...and the U Factor etc.

The Material List will give you Totals for Walls under General > Thermal Envelope , a Macro could probably Total it.

And I think Joe Carrick has a Areas Macro Package you could get if you want in-depth analysis too.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/12673-joes-macros-complete-list/#comment-109086

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/6595-joes-macro-a-month-subscription-service/#comment-59212

M

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You can also explore exporting to ResCheck to get those figures.  

I have never really played with ResCheck because it is US Govt. based, but I just had a look and it also includes Ontario and B.C. in Canada now , which I haven't seen anyone mention before...

https://www.energycodes.gov/rescheck

*** Mac Os Users now can only use the Online Version Apparently.

M.

On 2/23/2018 at 0:52 PM, Kbird1 said:

I have never really played with ResCheck because it is US Govt. based, but I just had a look and it also includes Ontario and B.C. in Canada now , which I haven't seen anyone mention before...

https://www.energycodes.gov/rescheck

*** Mac Os Users now can only use the Online Version Apparently.

M.

There are a lot of people in different countries that don’t use it for that reason but in my opinion that shouldn’t discount it as a little useful tool for finding various projects calculations and information.

If you're going to use the wall area the way Chief will calculate it then you will be providing incorrect information that would not comply with the Alberta Building Code.

The information you're talking about needs to be calculated manually and is measured from the grade level at each affected wall. Or, you'd need much more in depth knowledge of the program to develop your own auto calculating methods and macros, which, if you need to ask about, then you don't have it.

Life - safety issues like fire protection need to be taken seriously.

I don't mean this to be offensive but it seems odd that you'd consult with an Energy Advisor regarding the area of glazed openings relative to the effective wall area. If you post the plan, or a screenshot of the wall in question, I could help you out.

1 hour ago, QualicoreHomes said:

I decided for now to send it off to the energy evaluation guy and he will give me the data

Yes that's what I do too since , even if I went to the Trouble of figuring it out they would not accept them as the Calcs are only accepted for Permits if done by a "Schedule A" Qualified Professional  ie the HVAC/E.Eval Engineer and he has to do the Calcs. for all the other Air Handling anyway.

***OT Warning : Gerard how do you like the 1070 in Chief ? I was just informed this morning my RMA of my 980ti for Sleep issues , will mean I get a 1070 or 1070Ti instead and the specs seem lower than my 980ti ..at least on paper...

M.

Mick, I just recently got this computer from a computer company (Nuvex Solutions) who custom built it.  I can't say I'm completely happy with the graphics yet because it still slows down some times (just now the program completely quit on me as I was doing a ray trace).  Having said that I'm not a computer tech guy so there could easily something else wrong with the program or computer however I would get a higher one if I had to redo the purchase.   

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Yes that's what I do too since , even if I went to the Trouble of figuring it out they would not accept them as the Calcs are only accepted for Permits if done by a "Schedule A" Qualified Professional  ie the HVAC/E.Eval Engineer and he has to do the Calcs. for all the other Air Handling anyway

Not to be argumentative, but that's not entirely true. A qualified energy advisor is only "required" if a performance path is the compliance method for section 9.36. 

You can specify everything yourself if you follow the "prescriptive" method. I am aware that many designers outsource this as well. I've had no trouble with providing the proper information on the plans for a "prescriptive method" through many jurisdictions in alberta, and in BC.

Mick, I just recently got this computer from a computer company (Nuvex Solutions) who custom built it.  I can't say I'm completely happy with the graphics yet because it still slows down some times (just now the program completely quit on me as I was doing a ray trace).  Having said that I'm not a computer tech guy so there could easily something else wrong with the program or computer however I would get a higher one if I had to redo the purchase.   

Thanks for the Info .....might be an overheating Issue , get HWInfo64 or HWMonitor and check the Temps of CPU and GPU during RTs .....

I usually have CoreTemp in a side window if not one of the other two during RT.

M.

You design all your houses prescriptive? Do you also fill out the paperwork for the builder/homeowner to go with you plan?

Generally speaking, yes. There are several factors that come into play, obviously, however I discuss it with the builder and/or client and then we decide together which path they'd like to use. Most people will choose to go prescriptive because (generally) it is the cheapest and simplest way to comply with 9.36.

There are no limitations on glass area, which is helpful from a design point of view,  and the extra costs are spent on insulation, instead of paperwork (the extra costs are almost identical). 

The upgrade to R-22 fiberglass batts for above grade walls is about $250-300 per house (Medicine Hat) and the increase from R40 to R50 attic insulation is about $250 (Medicine Hat). 

It also means I can finish my plans in a more timely fashion, as I don't need to wait for an Energy Advisor to have their input and possibly make changes late in the design stage.