X9 DWG import

tommy1

I've had this problem before and someone was nice enough to open it and send it back to where I could open it in Chief. My question is what do I need to tell this person on how to send it so it can be opened in Chief. I receive DWGs from people and don't have any problems so it must be the way they are sending it. I've attached the error I'm getting along with the file in question.

TIA,

DWG file error.jpg

House Plans.dwg

29 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

Chief changed something in X10?

That DWG file was just AutoCAD 2018.  A version that wasn't supported in X9...and rightfully so because it didn't exist yet.

NOTE:  If you want to check the AutoCAD version of any given DWG file, simply right click and Open With>Notepad.  Once the file opens up, check the first few characters...

Version.thumb.jpg.423d37bd9d05f871299c0df0a3e71232.jpg

...and then reference the chart below to find the AutoCAD version.

Code          Version                                                
AC1032       AutoCAD 2018
AC1027      AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017
AC1024      AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012
AC1021      AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009
AC1018      AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006
AC1015      AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002
AC1014      AutoCAD Release 14
AC1012      AutoCAD Release 13

• Upvote 1

Chief X10 supports the latest AutoCAD .dwg formats, just as X9 supported whatever was the lastest at the time of its release etc. You would need to contact Tech Support to verify whether or not Chief X10 now supports X-Reffed files or not in terms of AutoCAD .dwg imports, I do not know personally. I do know that this has been a problem with paper space .dwf imports in past versions.

DJP

As a follow up, it looks like both David and Michael were right. I sent David's reply to the girl and she then told the person who sent her the dwg what David said. The man then revised his dwg according to David's reply and she was then able to open it in X9. She doesn't have X10 but like i said earlier, I was able to open it in X10 easily so both different answers were right. Thank you both.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2018 at 9:52 AM, DavidJPotter said:

you need non-X-Reffed files for import, files exported, one at a time from "Model space" (not paper space) within AutoCAD

Can I create non-Xref files with SketchUp?  Or do something like that in Sketchup that Chief can import in 3D?

(I think I am having the issue described here.  I have a file created by a Canvas Scanner available in 3 formats: .DAE, .SKP and .DWG.  When I import into X9 I only get 2D and I can't get CAD to walls to work.)

On 2/23/2018 at 1:28 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

That DWG file was just AutoCAD 2018.  A version that wasn't supported in X9

Are you saying if I upgrade to X10 and import it I'll get a 3D model with mapped layers?

Global_Deluca br.dwg

Global_Deluca br.skp

Global_Deluca br.dae

2 hours ago, JennCollins said:

Are you saying if I upgrade to X10 and import it I'll get a 3D model with mapped layers?

Here is your .skp file imported into X10.  It comes in as a symbol with two materials one of which there is some sort of an issue and chief then replaces it with a default material.

Similar to but totally unrelated to the discussion in the thread above Sketchup also has versions for it's exported .skp files and to import into X9 I believe you will need a 2017 .skp file.

Plan view is just a cad outline.

Global_Deluca br plan view.jpgGlobal_Deluca br.jpg

Thank you SO much for taking the time to try and help me.  I too get a fixture and even though I can go "inside" it, it's not a space I can design in.  And I get the same thing when I try after saving it in Sketchup Make 2017.  Maybe because it's the free version?

Chief imports room planning files and can layer map (new ones and advanced mapping) and my file has ceiling/wall/door/etc layers so why is this beyond Chief? 

I've been using Chief products since at least 2006 and I'm SO discouraged that I'm actually starting to think I may have to drop Chief and become a Sketchup groupie.  Heartbreaking!

Are you drawing your own models in Sketchup or trying to import something provided to you.  If you are doing all the work yourself I would think it would be better to just draw the basic model in Chief and then you can use all the features of the software.

These files were created by using a Structure Sensor and the Canvas app.  This tool scans and measures a room in seconds.  The file generated comes in 3 formats that Chief says it works with.  But the reality is it doesn't really.  What is the point of an import feature with layer mapping when all it does is 2D that has to be drawn anyway?  I can drag and drop in a .jpg for that.

Yes I remember now when that first came out and the general forum consensus was that it would likely be great for interior design but not accurate enough yet to be used as a primary design tool.  A wall in chief is not a wall just because it is on the wall layer.  There is a lot more to it.  If enough data was provided it might possibly be something that could be done but I don't think we are there yet.  You are basically just producing a scaled 3D image file so unless there was a way to input the rest of the data I am not sure how it would work.

Are you aware of any other apps that it meshes with at this level ?

I would give tech support a call on this one because as this type of technology improves we will likely all be using it in the future.

Or possibly start a new thread titled "Structure Sensor - Canvas Imports" to see if someone has this figured out already.

I tried the .dae file and it comes in a little cleaner but is still just a symbol with issues. 

I will download the .dwg and see how that goes. 

If you import the .dwg file as a symbol it comes in without materials.

If you bring the .dwg file in as a drawing it does have all the layers but as any other cad file it is just cad lines.  They are all nicely color coded and everything but not the same as a chief model.

Here is the .dwg version in TrueView.  Interesting colors and all but still not sure if it is a workable model like you would draw in Chief.

Global_Deluca br 3D view Autodesk.jpg

Might be interesting to hear from someone who also uses AutoCAD or Revit.

7 hours ago, JennCollins said:

These files were created by using a Structure Sensor and the Canvas app.  This tool scans and measures a room in seconds.  The file generated comes in 3 formats that Chief says it works with.  But the reality is it doesn't really.  What is the point of an import feature with layer mapping when all it does is 2D that has to be drawn anyway?  I can drag and drop in a .jpg for that.

I think you just have unrealistic expectations based on some clever and somewhat deceptive marketing.  No one ever said you would get intelligent 3D objects automatically, only that you would get an editable, layered, CAD plan...which you have.  The marketing literature goes on to say that you can "extract floor plans" which you also can...by starting with the aforementioned layered line work that shows up in the DWG file. 

19 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

A wall in chief is not a wall just because it is on the wall layer.  There is a lot more to it

Agreed.  But.. layer mapping doesn't work?!  I'd be thrilled with a default wall type to that layer.  (I make this sound so easy like I know what I'm talking about)

13 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

have unrealistic expectations based on some clever and somewhat deceptive marketing

Also agree.  I am just as disappointed with myself as I am Occipital and Chief.  (Again, layer mapping doesn't work??)

20 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

any other apps that it meshes with at this level ?

No and I don't even have time to find out as I have 4 projects behind now and one coming down the pike.  (Oh No!  Yay!  Oh No!  Yay!  Oh No!)

give tech support a call

Good idea!

start a new thread titled "Structure Sensor - Canvas Imports"

Also good idea!

I'm hiring someone on UpWork to draft these from the Sketchup file for now.  Structure is going to beta test some solutions for importing into Chief at the end of the month so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!  I too think this is the wave of the future! 

Truly, thank you all for taking the time to try and help me!  Your support kept me from losing it :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for being brave and giving it a try.  Great that they are showing an interest in working with Chief users, sounds like a great company if they are able to make it work.   Please keep us informed of your progress as time allows.

• 3 months later...

At this point in time I think the best application for this product is to create symbols that can be imported into Chief.  Using it to import an entire structure (building) just isn't a reasonable expectation.  OTOH, using it to create symbols of specific furniture and equipment should work beautifully.

I would think that the CA Content Team could get a great deal of use from having it as an in-house tool.  In fact, any Chief user could benefit by having one to capture objects to import as Chief Symbols.  The real question is if it will minimize the face count for the scanned objects.

• 2 years later...

@JennCollins I just saw this thread while searching around for mentions on the forum about Canvas — I'm one of the product leaders for Canvas. Indeed, importing non-native Chief Architect files can definitely have some issues, and it sounds like you were trying to import the .dwg file from our SketchUp output. However, we actually just recently launched a native Chief Architect output for Scan To CAD. Instead of ordering the SketchUp output and trying to force it to work with Chief, you'll get a .plan file that should work without needing CAD-to-walls or similar.

You can find more on this here in our recent post: 

Just PM me if you have any questions, and I'd be happy to help with any import issues. I'd also be happy to give you a code for a free scan on your next job since it sounds like you had issues the first time around!

On 5/8/2018 at 6:10 PM, JennCollins said:

Can I create non-Xref files with SketchUp?  Or do something like that in Sketchup that Chief can import in 3D?

(I think I am having the issue described here.  I have a file created by a Canvas Scanner available in 3 formats: .DAE, .SKP and .DWG.  When I import into X9 I only get 2D and I can't get CAD to walls to work.)

Global_Deluca br.dwg

Global_Deluca br.skp

Global_Deluca br.dae

BTW Canvas supposedly supports .plan file format according to their post the other day.  You might want to check on that.