Door Color in Library Preview Pane

SNestor

Can anyone tell me why my doors in the library preview pane appear to have a dark color on the exterior side?  My door defaults are set so that each side should be white.  So...what other setup could be controlling how these doors are being displayed?  

I don't think this has anything to do with rendering techniques, shadows, video cards, or a lot of what was said in the above posts. 

It's all about the materials and how they are setup in the library symbols.

All of the door panel symbols that are in the core libraries that ship with Chief are setup to use your Material Defaults.  When you place one into a plan it should automatically use your "Doors (Interior)" and "Doors (Exterior)" material.

The only thing that is probably confusing is where we get the material from when generating the library preview.  In X9 and X10, we get the default materials from your default template plan that is setup for new plans in your preferences.  In prior versions, we would get the materials from the current active plan.  This caused some inconsistent behavior because the previews could show different materials depending on when they were last updated.  Trying to keep them updated every time you activated a new plan led to performance issues.  Since the library browser is really independent from all of your open plans we felt it was better to get the default materials from somewhere that was not changing frequently.

Please note that if you create your own library symbols, your materials may be set to use a specific material instead of a default material.  In this case, the library preview should always show you the specific material.

If you find any problems with any of this, please feel free to contact our tech support team for more help.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It worked the same way in X9. 

Me too. My X9 always showed the exterior as slate blue; it was always an aggravation for me. Why would someone pick "slate blue" as a default door color instead of at least white so we could see the door details better?

12 hours ago, SNestor said:

Those pics are from X9.  All they are showing is that if you specify one color for the exterior of the door..and another for the interior of the door then in the "Door Default" DBX...in the preview panel, Chief will display the colors chosen.  However, in the library, as Michael has stated above...the colors shown are those that were used when the object was created and added to the library.  

All this still does not clearly explain why an OOB library door symbol appears almost black on one side...and white on the other.  Am I the only one that sees this...or is this typical for the X10 library?  Even if I set the Preference to "vector view"...the door is almost black on one side.  

To me it's an X10 issue that needs to be corrected by Chief...

Nobody said they couldn't see the Shadow ......we were just trying to help make it better until Chief hopefully does , with the differences in VideoCards and Monitors I am sure some people see it worse than I do , but for now Vector View works for me .....another Bug report about the 3D Previews can't hurt , I wish in Previews all shadows were disabled , personally I don't need Shadows while I "Work" , just at the end when I need "pretty pictures" for the Client.

M.

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

The only thing that is probably confusing is where we get the material from when generating the library preview.  In X9 and X10, we get the default materials from your default template plan that is setup for new plans in your preferences.

Thanks for the clarification Dermot.  I tested this out and you are correct.  This IS the way it is working.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Thanks for the clarification Dermot.  I tested this out and you are correct.  This IS the way it is working.

Yes...I agree.  Just checked my plan "template"...and the exterior door color spec'd in material defaults was black...changed it to white.  All is fixed.  

Thanks for the clarification Dermot.  I would never have figured that out...

Also...thanks to all you Chiefers that chimed in to help.  So much appreciated! 

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

All of the door panel symbols that are in the core libraries that ship with Chief are setup to use your Material Defaults.  When you place one into a plan it should automatically use your "Doors (Interior)" and "Doors (Exterior)" material.  NOT the Doors>Exterior or Interior Defaults

The only thing that is probably confusing is where we get the material from when generating the library preview.  In X9 and X10, we get the default materials from your default template plan that is setup for new plans in your preferences.  In prior versions, we would get the materials from the current active plan. 

this information is important and you need to close Chief and restart it , to let the Library Update itself, if you don't want to see a "Slate" coloured Exterior Door colour.

M.

11.thumb.JPG.4776adb67a763848b61147da570e5d64.JPG

20 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Well that would explain why you couldn't see the Shadows / light Play and it didn't change in Vector View  :) 

M.

10.thumb.JPG.55d5254ff9aa33d8cc2c0a47acfe8b19.JPG

Attached are views of library OOB door in with Preference set to Vector and Standard.  When set to Standard...it casts a shadow so dark you cannot not even see the raised panels on the door.  I'd suggest just keeping your library preference set to "Vector"...

Vector View:

5a905ed52ac1d_Doors-VectorView.thumb.png.51b42309967cac0489ee9138789b846a.png

Standard View - Light side

5a905ed2d2d92_Doors-StandardLightSide.thumb.png.472765c2987cab6517743f2c9f0ea132.png

Standard View - Dark Side

5a905ed405983_Doors-StandardViewdarkside.thumb.png.0c762eea640d0d18b3d3fa06f54e8c0d.png