Door Color in Library Preview Pane

SNestor

Can anyone tell me why my doors in the library preview pane appear to have a dark color on the exterior side?  My door defaults are set so that each side should be white.  So...what other setup could be controlling how these doors are being displayed?  

Thanks as always for any help!

Here are screen clips of my defaults...

5a8f86047c5c7_DoorsinLibrary1.thumb.png.b18e2bef9258ade5aee9d0c56d5de592.png  5a8f8605a6dc7_DoorsinLibrary2.thumb.png.0ff6e2f4b9dbf3e23addf73c2898808b.png  5a8f860665ee4_DoorsinLibrary3.thumb.png.1c5966b6c2723840484d9a5195071f53.png

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Steve,  Your P04 is and interior Door and your E14 seems to be correct as an Exterior door.

Chop...no, if you look at the material list for the E14 door...I've specified the exterior side of the door to be "white".

4 minutes ago, solver said:

I'm guessing the library is global, and does not respond to plan level changes in defaults.

If you have 2 plans open with different defaults, the library would need to respond to each one, and Chief is not set up for working on multiple plans -- one of my gripes.

Eric...thanks for that info...but I only have one plan open in X10.

When I open the library in X9...the doors are white on both sides.  So...therefore it's got to be a setting in X10.  Maybe something I setup differently in X9...or something I haven't setup correctly or differently in X10.  

What a pain...

3 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Chop...no, if you look at the material list for the E14 door...I've specified the exterior side of the door to be "white".

Yes and that appears to be correct.  The first image you have posted with the dark color is a P04 ?

It's the All new Lighting in X10, I think..... shadows are on by default in all 3D Views now ( including Previews and DBX's) , we can't control them all though.....I just switch it to Vector ...you can set it to use Vector in Preferences too... the Library has it own Control , so you can leave it on Standard.

Turn the Door in the Preview and you can see it is Shadows...... Exterior side will be bright , Interior side Shadowy.... at least for me , click the " show wall button" , will show which side is in Shadow...

M.

6 minutes ago, solver said:

Think of it this way. If you create an object in one plan and place it in the library, it's there for every plan, not just the plan you were in when it was created.

Your defaults work for items placed from the library, but do not change the library.

Eric...you lost me.  The door I'm displaying is in the Core Library...it's not an object I created.  It's a standard door.  My only issue is why does the door on the exterior side appear to be a dark color.  Its so dark I find It hard to believe its a shadow being cast.  If I open the exact door in X9 it appears white on both sides...in standard view.  

It has to be something related to X10...

28 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It looks like you have Shadows on in Standard View ? , switch it to Vector View and see....

M.

I'm not sure how to change to Vector View for the preview pane?  See pic below...

My preference is set to "Vector View"...but, it doesn't appear to be a vector view.  X10 is fun...:wacko:

5a8f8eaf10619_Defaults-CameraToolsX10.thumb.png.8ea7e928337d864d77fda532b0a597dc.png  5a8f8eadabb73_Defaults-CameraToolsPref1.thumb.png.2496e1ab4e6a25a3d29b22aa86fd3e72.png

Windows are no better if you haven't checked..... It's like nobody turned the Lights on in my Plan in the DBX Preview .....looks fine in 3D camera.... I suspect it maybe cos in the DBX's there are no walls to reflect the new RCSS / Lighting.

click the " show wall button" i the Preiview , it will show which side is in Shadow...

M.

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Windows are no better if you haven't checked..... It's like nobody turned the Lights on in my Plan in the DBX Preview .....looks fine in 3D camera.... I suspect it maybe cos in the DBX's there are no walls to reflect the new RCSS / Lighting.

click the " show wall button" i the Preiview , it will show which side is in Shadow...

M.

You don't get the "show wall" option in the library preview panel...only when you open a specific door/window that's actually in your plan. 

Is this a bug in X10...should I file a report?

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

that's the Library Preview , as I mentioned above it is Separate.... I have that on Standard....

Appearance>Dialog Previews>Vector

Changed my Preference as you instructed.  Shut down and restarted CA.  Didn't change a thing...

Is there a way to turn off shadows?

5a8f90740f612_Defaults-Appearance1.thumb.png.5af98f3047a13933bc8c73bacda498a6.png

No , as mentioned..... they don't call it a Bug but people have been complaining about the new lighting / Shadow system since Beta as it now used in every view only we can't control it in all Views.

Doesn't help in the Library Preview much that is Correct , I thought you were talking about the Door DBX view.... where I found it helped me....

You are correct there are no options in the Library like Show Wall...

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

No , as mentioned..... they don't call it a Bug but people have been complaining about the new lighting / Shadow system since Beta as it no is Used in every view only we can't control it in all Views.

Doesn't help in the Library Preview much that is Correct , I thought you were talking about the Door DBX view.... where I found it helped me....

You are correct there are no options in the Library like Show Wall...

Thanks Mick...I have changed the preference in both the library...and in "Preferences"...but, it does not change my preview pane display.  I'm not sure if I'm seeing "Standard View" or "Vector View"...its almost impossible to tell. 

5 minutes ago, solver said:

The same door in X9 on my system is different colors, identical to X10, so I have no idea why yours is different. I can find no where to change the colors.

Eric...thank you for taking time to try and help me with this.  In X9...if I change the color in "material defaults"...then, in defaults, the door preview panels are different colors on each side....but in the library preview panel the doors are white on both sides.  I have the library preview panel set to "vector view".  The attached pics are from X9.  

5a8f9582ee0a6_DoorDefaults-Color1.thumb.png.26ecad249ac146127b37c3b47a356dd5.png  5a8f9584bb040_DoorDefaults-Color2.thumb.png.09800cd92b61b989fbc8b3ecb37fc008.png

9 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Thanks Mick...I have changed the preference in both the library...and in "Preferences"...but, it does not change my preview pane display.  I'm not sure if I'm seeing "Standard View" or "Vector View"...its almost impossible to tell. 

Make a big difference here ....in the Door DBX Preview  .....not so much in the Library.....

5.thumb.JPG.6b74606babd457cb3085a720a25685ae.JPG7.thumb.JPG.b6aa81f01583ef0a60b24ed0bcbf03b4.JPG

The library works a bit differently with different object types, but with doors, it seems the behaviour is this...that door previews always display the material that was assigned when they were first added to the library.  If the door is in your User Catalog and you right click>Open Symbol, the symbol preview will reflect your current plan's defaults, however the library preview will only reflect the original colors. 

13 minutes ago, SNestor said:

In X9...if I change the color in "material defaults"...then, in defaults, the door preview panels are different colors on each side....but in the library preview panel the doors are white on both sides.  I have the library preview panel set to "vector view".

The 1st Pic is Interior Door Defaults and the Second One appears to be looking at Exterior Doors?   what is the Blue Colour ? your chosen Colour?

3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The library works a bit differently with different object types, but with doors, it seems the behaviour is this...that door previews always display the material that was assigned when they were first added to the library.  If the door is in your User Catalog and you right click>Open Symbol, the symbol preview will reflect your current plan's defaults, however the library preview will only reflect the original colors. 

Makes Sense Chief's Library will always have whatever they assigned OOB ........ we can't change Chief Libraries, there is a good reason for that....

And why we need to set Plan (or template plan) Defaults for many Library Items before Drawing ( preferably ) ....

M.

23 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

The 1st Pic is Interior Door Defaults and the Second One appears to be looking at Exterior Doors?   what is the Blue Colour ? your chosen Colour?

Those pics are from X9.  All they are showing is that if you specify one color for the exterior of the door..and another for the interior of the door then in the "Door Default" DBX...in the preview panel, Chief will display the colors chosen.  However, in the library, as Michael has stated above...the colors shown are those that were used when the object was created and added to the library.  

All this still does not clearly explain why an OOB library door symbol appears almost black on one side...and white on the other.  Am I the only one that sees this...or is this typical for the X10 library?  Even if I set the Preference to "vector view"...the door is almost black on one side.  

To me it's an X10 issue that needs to be corrected by Chief...

13 minutes ago, SNestor said:

To me it's an X10 issue that needs to be corrected by Chief...

This isn't an X10 issue.  It worked the same way in X9.  It's just the color that was originally assigned to the door.  As Chop pointed out, it's likely "Slate" which is the OOB default exterior door color.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

This isn't an X10 issue.  It worked the same way in X9.  It's just the color that was originally assigned to the door.  As Chop pointed out, it's likely "Slate" which is the OOB default exterior door color.

It’s not the same for me in X9...I posted pics above.  

I also changed the default color for doors to white...in material defaults.  So...not sure what else I can do. 

In X10...how do you get rid of the slate blue color?