AutoCAD import help

RL-inc

First things first- I have almost NO experience with AutoCAD or similar programs- NONE-ZERO.

CA is the only design software I have ever used....

Ok... now to the point

I have been doing some drafting for a HVAC contactor - creating gas piping and ducting isometrics- has gone pretty well.

He has had the project architect send me DWG files of the layout pages to use as the template or background and until now I have been able to import them as clean plan views successfully.

The latest files he sent over are quite cluttered with layers that I am having difficulty cleaning up.

I was hoping that someone with an AutoCAD background could take a look at the files attached and guide me in how to get the clean views I need to work with.

Or perhaps tell me how to properly ask for the files to be sent to me so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel to get them.

(After the first attempt at importing into CA I did call and ask him to just send each layout view as it appears on the page- the attached files are what I got.)

Much thanks as always for any insight.

A1.10 FIRST FLOOR PLAN.DWG

A1.11 SECOND FLOOR PLAN.DWG

A1.20 REFLECTED CEILING PLAN - FIRST FLOOR.DWG

A1.21 REFLECTED CEILING PLAN - SECOND FLOOR.DWG

AutoCAD produce is as variable as those who create it. I have observed the same as you have in receiving them in a chaotic state. There is no "trick" involved that I am aware of. You just do what one must to get their work done as quickly as possible. The main variable with .dwg files is those who create them in the first place, how competent they are and how organized.

DJP

I would send the architect's CAD operator one of your finished plans as an example, and ask them to send you a CAD file with only the type of information shown on your plan. That should allow them to NOT export all the layers of stuff that you don't need. But that's a lot more work for them, and they may be resistant to the idea.

Rob, I open only the first DWG file & there are 112 layers.

There are nested blocks. So I imported into X10 & exploded the blocks one by one & then used the Hide layer tool to turn off layers.

That may work for you.

If you could be specific as to what you are after I could remove the layers you do not want from the cad files & send them to you.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Alan-

I am trying to get the pdf files of the actual printed pages so I can see what is displayed on each- then I can try and weed out the layers that are not needed.

If I can't seem to get it I will follow up with you to see if you can pare them down to what I need.

You da man Alan-

so that " layer state" is what AutoCAD calls a layerset?

and not available for me to see in CA?

Is it possible for you to export those views in DWG so that can import and see them as there are in the pdf view?

or show me the layers that are on the layer state you mentioned so that I can create a layer set  that is identical?

(Maybe best - then in can duplicate in other plans I receive.)

Thank you again for the help ...+1 for you ;)

If you have an AutoCAD viewer you should be able to see that view. 

In Autocad paper space or otherwise known as a layout is like Layout plan but in the same file.

Model space is like a plan file so in autocad you have model space where most of you drawing take place and then you have tabs that hold each sheet called layouts or tabs. all the is in your DWG file. In your DWG there is only one layout & that layout has a viewport which is like a  Layout Box in Chief.

The layer state for that viewport is like a layer state for the Layout Box.

Attached are the layers that are displayed in each DWG layout box/viewport

VLayer 2nd Floor RCP.txt

VLayer 1st Floor RCP.txt

VLayer 2nd floor.txt

VLayer 1st floorr.txt

So in the files you attached - say the 2nd floor ceiling plan- are all of the layers that are called out displayed in the printed page?

And are those the layers that I would need to display in CA?

Ideally I would like to  be able to open in a viewer- select the proper layer state as you call it and then export that view in DWG and import to CA with only the layers I need displayed

TrueView is free   https://www.autodesk.com/products/dwg/viewers

Your best bet is to print to pdf the layout page from the viewer. The use the PDF as an underlay.

I don't think that list of layers is readily available. I used a LISP (Ruby like) routine to export the layers.

The list may be available some other way but I rarely need that layer set.

Like you Rob, I am not that familiar with AutoCad but I use the Free DraftSight AutoCad Program to occasionally "look" at Files mostly or Export the File in a different Format/Year etc.

( I hate the inverse colour schemes ie black backgrounds in AutoCad:) )

https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

Mick try this for the background.

;;  BricsCAD
;;  Here's a background toggle command, which changes black background
;;  to white and white background to black, in model or paper space:

(defun c:BB ()
(if (equal (getvar "TILEMODE") 0) ; if tilemode is Off, then we're in a layout tab (which can have non-tiled viewports)
  (if (equal (getvar "BKGCOLORPS") 7) (setvar "BKGCOLORPS" 256) (setvar "BKGCOLORPS" 7))
  (if (equal (getvar "BKGCOLOR") 7) (setvar "BKGCOLOR" 256) (setvar "BKGCOLOR" 7))
  )
)

5 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Mick try this for the background.

;;  BricsCAD
;;  Here's a background toggle command, which changes black background
;;  to white and white background to black, in model or paper space:

(defun c:BB ()
(if (equal (getvar "TILEMODE") 0) ; if tilemode is Off, then we're in a layout tab (which can have non-tiled viewports)
  (if (equal (getvar "BKGCOLORPS") 7) (setvar "BKGCOLORPS" 256) (setvar "BKGCOLORPS" 7))
  (if (equal (getvar "BKGCOLOR") 7) (setvar "BKGCOLOR" 256) (setvar "BKGCOLOR" 7))
  )
)

Thanks Allan , will Try this next time I need to "play" in AutoCad. :)

OK we're on the right track- I have downloaded the Autodesk viewer and opened one of the files I want  and it is displaying as desired.

See attached screen shot.

Now is it possible to export this view and only these layers so I can import in CA?

DESIRED CAD VIEW.JPG

1 hour ago, RL-inc said:

OK we're on the right track- I have downloaded the Autodesk viewer and opened one of the files I want  and it is displaying as desired.

See attached screen shot.

Now is it possible to export this view and only these layers so I can import in CA?

DESIRED CAD VIEW.JPG

Not from a Viewer is my guess , so Try DraftSight...

Mick.

There are LISP routines that could extract the contents of the viewport but you would need a cad program that would run lisp.

Also some pre-processing that needs to be done. Mainly exploding blocks.

So it could be done but at a cost. You would need a lot of learning to get it done. Although if you really wanted it you could get it done.

Once you get the process figured out it would be easier for the next set of plans.

Sorry that I have no time to invest in the project.

Alan-

No worries - you have already offered a great deal of help getting me headed in the right direction.

One last thing- if I am thinking correctly I should be able to open the layer state that is showing the view I want and use that as te basis for the layerset I want to create in CA- I would have to manual turn on all the required layers but it should give me what I need?

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...