Best practices for tile layouts?

Richard_Morrison

About my only big frustration with Chief right now (aside from tile roofs) is the inability to set the origin of a fill pattern, especially on a wall elevations. For mosaics and smallish tiles, it's not a problem, but showing large format tiles where the grout joint location is critical is a maddening process since the joints are not easily adjustable. Anyone feel like they've got this nailed with a creative solution?

2 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

About my only big frustration with Chief right now (aside from tile roofs) is the inability to set the origin of a fill pattern, especially on a wall elevations. For mosaics and smallish tiles, it's not a problem, but showing large format tiles where the grout joint location is critical is a maddening process since the joints are not easily adjustable. Anyone feel like they've got this nailed with a creative solution?

How are you doing this now?  And are you talking about standard views or vector views?  For elevation views, I personally use the material definition and just offset the pattern and texture as necessary.  

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

How are you doing this now?  And are you talking about standard views or vector views?  For elevation views, I personally use the material definition and just offset the pattern and texture as necessary.  

Unfortunately that's how I do it too, ( ie. get the Tape Measure out in Vector View and then Trial and Error) it would be great in elevations to be able to set a Reference Corner or Edge ( of Material Region ) or have some kind of Reference Marker like we do for Framing , I have to do this every job , so it would say time for sure...

M.

We're talking vector views of a wall elevation.

I guess part of my frustration occurs because in ArchiCAD, you can just drag the fill origin to where you want the pattern to start. (Also, you can just drag the fill "handle" to rotate the pattern.) Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than necessary, but having to create a tile material for each critical wall elevation and floor seems overly complicated, so sometimes I just show a "vignette" of the tile pattern without trying to show the whole thing. Patterns like 12x24 tile where you want the joint intersection exactly on the center of the shower valve handle, plus a 3x12 bullnose at the shower stall edge, feels like my life is being sucked out of me for what should be a very trivial task. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I guess part of my frustration occurs because in ArchiCAD, you can just drag the fill origin to where you want the pattern to start. (Also, you can just drag the fill "handle" to rotate the pattern.)

That would definitely be nice to have and its something that's been requested a few times.  In the meantime, ya...it's a bit of a pain, but I just create multiple copies of the materials and offset patterns as necessary.  I think that's the best we can do.

56 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

We're talking vector views of a wall elevation.

I guess part of my frustration occurs because in ArchiCAD, you can just drag the fill origin to where you want the pattern to start. (Also, you can just drag the fill "handle" to rotate the pattern.) Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than necessary, but having to create a tile material for each critical wall elevation and floor seems overly complicated, so sometimes I just show a "vignette" of the tile pattern without trying to show the whole thing. Patterns like 12x24 tile where you want the joint intersection exactly on the center of the shower valve handle, plus a 3x12 bullnose at the shower stall edge, feels like my life is being sucked out of me for what should be a very trivial task. 

Yep same thing with Vectorworks - very easy and painless.  Considering how strong CA generally is interior design elements its kinda surprising they haven't given us some better solution here.