Stairs: Rake Wall With Railing

Chrisb222

I thought I read here that X10 will now allow a rake wall with railing as one automatic piece, but cannot for the life find the thread...

Was I dreaming?

I've got the railing wall following the stairs, which I could do in X9, and I already know how to hack this effect, did it in previous versions.

Looking to see if there's a setting I'm missing to add the railing on top of the rake wall automatically.

Thanks

5a8f388f20eeb_stairrail.thumb.png.cfb1626e76d2689ee44e482d447727f7.png

stair rail X10.plan

23 minutes ago, solver said:

I did this for someone on HomeTalk using Home Designer Suite -- very limited compared to Chief.

It replicated their condition exactly. 

3 stairways. One for the railing buried in the wall. Another to provide the handrail, and a third to show the main stair, which provided the right hand railing not shown here.

Not sure how it would look in vector or similar view, but it was quick to do. Once the main stair was in place, made 2 copies, changed the width and railings, and moved them over.

5a8f45dbeacd7_stair1.thumb.jpg.e88ee5e050f7900a7c007198bacfa601.jpg

I'm missing something. The stairway for the railing buried in the wall is cutting the wall at the bottom of the stringer. Can you explain a little more about your method?

1 hour ago, solver said:

In this case, that's not a wall, but a solid. Home designer Suite lacks the ability to Follow Stairs with a wall.

I did a little experimenting in Chief and it looks like a wall will not work -- at least as I would want.

This shows 2 stairs, a skinny one over the wall, and a larger one to the right, and a wall with Follow Stairs checked.

To make this work, after positioning the skinny wall, I cut it, went to the foundation and Paste/Hold Position. In plan the stair appears on the foundation, otherwise, it's right where it should be.

ct1.thumb.jpg.bcbd32ecabe61478eb06a2e97b160e19.jpg

fwp.zip

Thanks for the Tip , I could never centre the second skinny staircase without losing the drywall on the sloped wall below but I have to ask what made to try this?

I'd like to know how it works too as the stair-rail is there it each view on level one as it should be yet I deleted it off level one after copy and pasting it to the basement. ( set the invisible line type and you don't see much down there either.... the fill on None leaves me enough to see/find it in my plan....

6.thumb.JPG.3760573b728bd1c01261a0ac3c49c9a8.JPG

I normally use two full width staircases like this instead.... ( well three in this particular case and a landing)

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16879-stairs-with-drywall-handrails-with-cutouts-in-the-walls/?do=findComment&comment=142554

M.

44 minutes ago, johnny said:

Eric's method is probably one of the best but what i dont like is you end up missing the skirt boards since stairs need to recognize the wall to place those.

what are you calling the Skirt Johnny? the Baseboard/Kick ?  it's there... my pic is now above....I forgot to attach it when I posted asking about the Basement trick....

The Wall Cap doesn't seem to want to be wider that the wall though ( 4 1/2" )....

I have actually never seen that trick or come across it here ... has to be a bug ?  the railing in my Plan should be gone on level one , I deleted it, yet it's not...very strange behavior :)  now watch them fix it cos you mentioned it here :(

Wall Cap is not usually an issue , unless you use this trick.... at least it has always worked for me otherwise....

M.

I did a video on this several years ago.  Essential I used a railing wall adjacent to stairs as Erica has done...  set 8" higher than stair nosing....  and then.....  I created a symbol of the railing the sits on the sloped drywall wall.  It was easier to control and quicker to make the railing out of a symbol.

To make the symbol,  draw a railing in the middle of the stairs to the correct length and then turn off the layer of the stairs.  You are left seeing only the railing and then you can turn that into a symbol and place in plan.

But we should be able to make this auto.  95% of my stairs in the field are built this way.

5a902ab92530a_ScreenShot2018-02-23at6_47_58AM.thumb.png.e866fe4a77124cd79008e1beeb90ab59.png

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, solver said:

I turned them on, and moved the main stair so the left side was not buried in the wall.

Still not perfect.

ct1.thumb.jpg.450c7b850735628612030e85accc9bd7.jpg

Aren't you then using the stringers to emulate the skirt board?  I'm not in front of Chief right now but i believe the skirt boards act a bit differently - which is prob why you say it isn't perfect.