Editing Symbol Colors

RobUSMC

Is it possible to change the color of a symbol? Not the material that the symbol represents.  As you know a wall outlet, switch, can light symbols are red by default in plan view.  I would like to have a set or sets of symbols that are different color such as blue for existing, green for relocation required, etc.  Being able to show what outlet is a backsplash outlet versus an outlet under a sink you don't know in plan view unless yo open it and look at the elevation off floor.  Go one further, replace the R in the middle of the default recessed can symbol with an E for existing or an L for LED, etc.

Rob, the quick answer to your question is 'yes' it is possible to change the 'symbol color' by changing the symbol layer in the 'Layer Display Options Dialog' - See Chapter 5 - Layers in the X6 reference manual (starting at page 139) for the specifics. Basically, for what you described you can make new electrical layers, define the color for each new layer, and then assign the symbol to that new layer. 

The 'go further' answer is that is possible too. It requires you create a new CAD block for the symbol. Probably the easiest way to do this is copy an existing electrical symbol CAD block, modify it, and then in the Symbol dbx assign the new CAD block to it. If you are going to go to this extra work, you will then also want to save this modified symbol to your library to make it easy to use again, either in your existing plan or future plans.

I know I can adjust the colors of the symbols in the layers but wanted to know how to change the letter "R" in the middle of a recessed can to a letter "L" . just not sure how to do that. I have projects where some of the lighting is staying, some is staying but being moved a few inches or feet, some that is new.  I was hoping I didn't have to build new layers for each.   I would be alot better off with being able to change the letter and then refer to a legend as what is the plan for that item.

• Upvote 1

Place a Recessed Can into your plan.

Select it and click on Open Symbol.

Click on 2D Block in the dbx, and notice that the CAD block assigned to the Recessed Can symbol is called "Mini Can".

Close out of the dbx and return to the plan.

Open the CAD Block Management dbx, scroll down to "Mini Can", and insert a copy of it into your plan.

Explode the "Mini Can" block, edit the text to whatever you want, then re-block it, and name it something else, like "Mini Can Existing", or whatever.

Now you can open any "Mini Can" symbol (Open Symbol) and assign your new block to it.

• Upvote 1