Plan View Sets - One Option

HumbleChief

I think this is an amazing new feature with a lot possibilities to save time and confusion over the old Anno/Layer Set paradigm. May also answer the age old Chief question about whether Anno Sets should drive Layer Sets or Layer Sets should drive Anno Sets. Plan sets drive both very nicely IMO...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I've just installed X10...do I need to create my own plan views...or, should the basic "profile.plan" template include some basic plan views.  

I don't have any...so, that's why I'm wondering.

Thanks

Great video explaining plan view options and I think it mentions Chief X10 comes with some default plan views in their template plans.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2421/saved-plan-views.html

28 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Larry...thanks.  I have watched that and it's the reason I asked the question...because in the video I believe the narrator mentions that the plan has built in "saved views"....she doesn't state that you have to create them from scratch.  

I've been experimenting...and this is really a great improvement to Chief.  

Just being able to specify a reference set with a plan view is a gigantic leap forward for Chief.  I mean Scott Hall has been requesting this feature for at least the past 3 years...and probably longer.  Thanks Chief gurus...that is a biggie

I'm still not sure how She created the 3 "Option" Views either ... I assume you need to put EVERYTHING in the plan onto a unique Option1 Layer to hide it , then build Option 2 from the Shell ( empty room) , then put ALL that on a unique Option2 layer and Hide it so you can do Option 3 ? etc etc.  Seems to me a quick "Save As" Option 2 Plan file is faster and easier.... or I am doing something wrong? ..........  it's likely since I have not embraced Plan Views yet but was trying it for a new Bathroom Reno 

27 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I'm still not sure how She created the 3 "Option" Views either ... I assume you need to put EVERYTHING in the plan onto a unique Option1 Layer to hide it , then built Option 2 from the Shell ( then put ALL that on a unique Option2 layer and Hide it so you can do Option 3 ?  seems to me a quick "Save As" Option 2 Plan file is faster and easier.... or I am doing something wrong? ..........  it's likely since I have not embraced Plan Views yet but was trying it for a new Bathroom Reno 

I'm so used to using 'Save As' as an option it would tough for me to adjust to the technique she shows but it looks like to me she is not adding more layers, just more walls and fixtures etc. for each 'option' then using the zoom feature of each plan set, retaining the zoom in to each set of walls fixture etc. I think the 'zoom' part of her example is the key.

Shown clearly at 10:00 minutes in. All based upon which option you have zoomed in to and remembering that zoom level for the plan view. Only recommended for single room options but I bet with a simple house might get interesting (or a nightmare) with a couple of optional plans

I did look through that section of the Video a couple of times but there is no detail on how She did it unfortunately..... I assume with Anno and Layersets though as that seems to be all Plan Views Save , other than the Zoom Factor and Defaults.

M.

27 minutes ago, solver said:

Mick -- I think you are overthinking this. Draw 3 rooms side by side in a single plan file. Create 3 plan views, each zoomed in to show one of the rooms.

Like Larry said above.

Ahhhhh and here I was thinking She had done something Fancy :) , Thanks to both of you..... I couldn't see the Tree for the Forest apparently....

In the Past, I have also just done it using Extra Floors directly above so a small Reno like a Bathroom is all in One Plan eg.

Level 2 ------ Existing 2nd Floor Bathroom

Level 3 ------ 2nd Floor Bathroom Option 1

Level 4 ------ 2nd Floor Bathroom Option 2

Level 5 ------ 2nd Floor Bathroom Option 3

*** neither method works well if you want Material Lists ...

Thanks.

M.