X6 much larger than X10.... interesting

dshall

I only keep X9 and X10 on my system. if I need to bring any plans forward for some reason, it comes in pretty good with minor fixes depending on how old they are. Any older than 2 versions I will copy the old plan to a new template plan.

From my reference notes:

"Plan Compatibility:

X9 does not support reading in plans with the .pl# or .la# extension (files from any versions older then Version 10 (2005). CA 10 (2005) creates *.plan files.).  To open these older plans in X9, first open these files in X8 and save them which will be in the newer format as a .plan or .layout file. X8 will open plans back to Chief Architect 97 (released August 1997). Version 9 is required to open pre-August 1997 .pln files. Keep X8 until all old plans are updated. 

More information can be found in the X9 Reference Manual on Page 54, "Compatibility with Previous Versions" and on Page 1338, "New and Improved Features by Chapter - File Management". https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x9-reference-manual.pdf"

56 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

if you still have X8 you need it or the Client Viewer to open .PL0/.PL1 etc files

basically ver 9.5 and older

Pretty good advice for everyone to remember.   I have on occasion had to bring older files forward; pretty doggone successfully I might add.  I plan on keeping X8 well into the future, unless chief can offer something for converting older files.

I am not sure if the above comments are directed to me or not.  If so, I do NOT have any X versions of Chiefarc.  My Chief 8 full was an upgrade from 7 full and was purchased on Feb 2, 2003.  The point is almost moot at this time.  Working on a packet for permit and construction purposes.  Part of that is a structural cross section which is time consuming to draw.  I am almost done with that layer now so my immediate need has disappeared.  I am still curious as to why it appears my older files may be opened using a version at least 10 newer, yet I can't open files that are 2 versions back.  IE use Chief 8 to open chief 7 or 97. 

History:  My purchased versions starting in 1994 with 1.2, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0. Those were all shipped on 3 1/2 floppies.  There were MANY  updates to all those prior releases.  Then 1997 was released 8/7/97, 6.0 on 7/18/99, 7 unknown, 8 bought on 2/2/2003.  Those were all on CD.  That was the extent of my purchases. 

I intentionally maintain versions 7, 9.5, 10, X1-X10 on my PC, I still have a client who uses V 9.5, several who use X1-X7 but the majority use X9 and X10. I also have Home Designer Clients all over the place: I have Home Designer titles and Versions from version 7-2018, though not all of them. Hard drives are cheap- I currently have four.

DJP

9 hours ago, dshall said:

Why keep them,  once I move to the next version,  I don't think I have ever gone back to an older version.

Is just because an answer ?  I have never gone back to an older  version either.

And I only keep three of four past versions.

I have been saving plans with special names to bring forward, leaving the originals

in place so they can still be opened in their original versions.

But with so much room in disk drives now, just seems like the thing to do.