Eq. ------Eq. ?

MarkMc

Go to solution Solved by Gawdzira,

Don't see a way to change dimension to simply indicate Equal - Equal without appending it as text which still leaves the dimensions-I'd prefer not to do in this case. I've been adding it all manually but thought there might be a faster way?

• 1 month later...

Here is a work around......  change DIMENSION TEXT to 0.000099" hi  (becomes invisible),  now add some ADDITIONAL TEXT that says "EQUAL".

This might be as quick as anything you can come up with.....  but maybe not......  just an option until you get what you want.

I measure using a Disto Plus to 1/16"

then model to 1/16" but reality means accepting up to a 2" discrepancy

If more than 2" I will usually do another site visit

especially if the discrepancy is in the project area

if not, I'll "accept" and make a note of the measured dim in red

on a separate layer that can be displayed when needed

old walls, old floors, old ceilings, old stairs

just don't come out "perfectly"

Lew

I respect Chief wanting to keep dimensions accurate, but it would definitely be useful to override dimension numbers every once in a while. If Chief ever allows us to do it, I would like to be able to quickly see on the screen which dimensions are overridden, whether it be some sort of highlight that doesn't print or underline similar to spellcheck or something along those lines. That way, for those that re-use plans or share plans with other users, you don't have to do a thorough search to find out who was lazy and overrode the dimension instead of changing the plan properly! This is coming from someone who's been burned by someone else's laziness before!!!

I like the simple solid-filled "EQ" over the dimension. I can copy/paste that EQ at least as fast as editing the dimension; &, when the dimension string is selected, you see the length. Doing it this way maintains the dimensional integrity of the model & is pretty obvious to see.

JMO

When a dimension no longer calls out a distance/length, is it still a dimension?

post-120-0-43514700-1410472606_thumb.jpg

DREAM ON!   CA is too arrogant to give us something that architects use.  They pride themselves in accurate dimensions and they will NOT compromise on that no matter what the entire architectural world uses!

After working in the EWP department drawing joist layouts and sizing beams for 4 years my opinion of this is that if a designer alters one dimension without actually moving that item it is only the beginning of more confusion on the plan.  I can't tell you how many plans I worked on when I couldn't even get the exterior walls to close because they changed a dimension and forgot to change the corresponding opposite dimension.

I think if you want to change the dimension move the item.  Using electronic whiteout is a no no......

After working in the EWP department drawing joist layouts and sizing beams for 4 years my opinion of this is that if a designer alters one dimension without actually moving that item it is only the beginning of more confusion on the plan.  I can't tell you how many plans I worked on when I couldn't even get the exterior walls to close because they changed a dimension and forgot to change the corresponding opposite dimension.

I think if you want to change the dimension move the item.  Using electronic whiteout is a no no......

Back in the day we did a lot of NTS (not to scale), and I agree with you, this probably caused problems down the line.

Lew,

if you want to change the dimension move the item

how so with an as-built ???

moving the item just throws one of the other dims off

at some point you have to accept that there is a discrepancy

then note it

Lew

Lew,

How come?

If you have measured accurately, why can't you draw it accurately?

Why does moving one item throw the other dims off? 

If it isn't square, you don't have to draw it square.

...If it isn't square, you don't have to draw it square.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I wuild usually try to figure out why my dimensions weren't adding up and split the difference (average it out) here and there to make up for it.  Drawing the house correctly out of square would be overkill in my opinion.

figure out why my dimensions weren't adding up and split the difference (average it out) here and there to make up for it

Michael:

that's just another sort of "fudge"

Drawing the house correctly out of square would be overkill in my opinion

I agree - it would be "silly"

I just don't think it is a good idea to be able to over ride a dimension value, no matter what the circumstances

sorry to disagree but my experiences with as-builts seems to require it

we could "discuss" forever that it shouldn't be necessary - but I flat out don't believe it

so I will concede that Chief will never change

and I will just have to use red text boxes to indicate the discrepancies

Lew

I think you should have the flexability to change the dimension text.

Using ACAD you can add text to the dimension , above & below the line & if you want, eliminite the dimension & have text only.

I do that a lot to denote an area with a note & not use arrows.

If you feel like it shouldn't be done then don't do it but why police my drawing? :)

I don't think anyone is trying to police anything. Just suggesting it's not a very good idea to change dimension numbers to something that is inaccurate.

Having said that, I think a custom text dimension tool would be nice and could definitely have a lot of uses. I guess even the ability to override existing dimensions with text.