Built up door casing??

Designer1

I know for roofing and room moldings you can build them up to make a more complex molding.  Can anything be done like this for door casing?  Especially the front entrance doors sometimes require something more intricate and detailed.  I cant seem to add another casing to it.  Besides polylines is there another was to do this in the door dbx?

Thanks!

Yes Chad, you can make any profile you want and yes, you can start with any of Chief's profiles that are in the library. If you want to use some of Chief's profiles, just go to that profile in the library (the actual profile), right click on it and you'll have the option to place it in the plan or cad detail. You can place multiple profiles if needed and I usually snap them together using the "end point" snap. Once together, you may need to break some lines so you can snap all corners together until you get a closed poly line. Once closed, you can select it and add it to your user library for use. You can edit any part of the profile as needed. I do this quite a bit.

Thanks Chad , nice of you to say that, but I wouldn't put myself in the "Expert" Camp particularly when it comes to CAD Work in Chief , I don't find it very intuitive at all , but if I can make a Header detail I am sure you can too ... here is the one I made for a Project recently just as an example...It's applied using the Window and Door Interior Lintel Tab/Option.

3.thumb.JPG.089db962537ebda313f65472923d3e4f.JPG

Header Details.calibz

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

here is the one I made for a Project recently just as an example..

Nice, Mick. I have these just like you show over all of my windows and doors in my own house I built. I cut, fit, nailed and painted most of them myself (a carpenter friend did a few for me) along with most of the finish work in the house. I think some of the old timers called these "cabinet heads."

Thanks Mike , they are Pretty Common here especially on Older Homes , but many Modern Transitional  Homes use them too , locally we call them Headers , them and a nice wide baseboard and a 4"- 5" Crown and I think things look great without going over the top or getting really expensive.

Here's a really similar one I drew up a while back for anyone who can make use of it...

Sedwick moulding.pdf

5a8df904814ad_Pic1.thumb.jpg.2d9f6bdc74a19eba37a26fc7432ed341.jpg5a8df9056e632_Pic2.thumb.jpg.88567faaa7fc33ba1541ebe9304c5a19.jpg5a8df90642005_Pic3.thumb.jpg.0ae506058a76d77538a111a1eb2842ca.jpg

Sedwick mouldings.calibz

Take a look at the library to get an idea of how the stacked moldings were created.   Just drop the individual molding profiles into a plan by right clicking and selecting Place Molding Profile, position the molding profiles so they're exactly like you want them, and then group select and click polyline union.  Then add the new profile to your library.  Easy as that.