opening old files

bservial

I am an old CA user that started with the very first version.  My last version is version 8.  I read on the old forum that old files can be opened by versions up to version 8.  That doesn't work for me.  I can't seem to open anything created with any version before 7.  Should I be able to?

I thought old versions could be opened up to V10.b ?  but perhaps there was another change before that? 

Lew @lbuttery  may know and remember otherwise I would email CS and ask for their advice.

Also, it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in please, especially with the Software Version,
and of course a Name is nice too :) ..............see mine below in Blue for how to do that.
If you don't see my Signature then you have them turned off for the Forum or are perhaps on the CA Mobile WebSite.

X10 will only read plan files that were written by version 10 and newer.

If you have upgraded to X10, contact tech support to see if they can provide you with a solution to convert your older files.  All you really need to do is get the X8 Client Viewer (or any other version of Chief from V10 to X8) and you will be able to open these older plans and save them in a format that X10 will be able to read. 

Since they are so old, you should expect to have to do some amount of manual cleanup.  We have worked very hard to make sure that when you bring plans forward that they do so with very minimal changes but when you bring plans this old forward you will have to deal with all of the minor changes that have happed over the 12 versions you missed.

3 hours ago, Dermot said:

X10 will only read plan files that were written by version 10 and newer.

If you have upgraded to X10, contact tech support to see if they can provide you with a solution to convert your older files.  All you really need to do is get the X8 Client Viewer (or any other version of Chief from V10 to X8) and you will be able to open these older plans and save them in a format that X10 will be able to read. 

Since they are so old, you should expect to have to do some amount of manual cleanup.  We have worked very hard to make sure that when you bring plans forward that they do so with very minimal changes but when you bring plans this old forward you will have to deal with all of the minor changes that have happed over the 12 versions you missed.

I think he has v8 (not X8) and is trying to open even older Files Dermot , not sure if you have any info on that issue?  did the File type/paradigm change about then?

M.

I believe really old versions had to be opened with versions closer to ver 9.5

but I don't remember exactly how far back

ver X8 is the last version that can open .pl0/.pl1 etc files

probably best to follow Dermot's advice and contact CA for further assistance

Lew

Version 8 should be able to read plan files created using version 5 through version 8.  I can't think of any reasons you might have problems reading in one of these files unless the files are somehow corrupt.  You could try posting one of the plans and someone else might try opening it in X8 (or an older version) to see if they can.  You could also try contacting tech support but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

If you have any files older then version 5, you are probably out of luck.  You would need a really old version like 5, 6, or 7 to read them.  Even if you could find one of these old versions, I doubt that you would be able to get it to run on a newer computer. 

By software standards, version 8 is about as old as the roman coliseum and version 5 is about as old as the pyramids.

Dermot, thanks for the reply.  I seem to remember when upgrading that the instructions of the day mentioned you should open prior version files and save them in the newer version.  I was explained that there may be needed cleanup, but not that you wouldn't be able to open them.  I have may files created in Chief 97 and Chief 7 that won't open in Chief 8.  My dongle for 97 got fried by an improperly wired USB port.  My Chief 7 dongle works.  I am maintaining a Windows 7 32 bit computer to run Chief 8 because the dongle driver is only available in 32 bit format.  I just tried installing Chief 7 on the same drive as Chief 8 and the driver installation balked at having dongle drivers so I backed out because I am in the middle of a design using 8.  I don't think the files are corrupted because the message is simply that "this version can't open that file" or something similar.

Charles post this earlier ...maybe some more info in the PDF File he linked on Page 54.

I still have X8 installed on another Computer , so I could test for Corruption in the Files but that doesn't help you , as you could not open an X8 File if I saved it. I also have x7 still on that computer but again not much help.

David Potter has many Versions Installed, so he maybe able to help you though...