Macbook Pro or Dell Precision laptop

ChiefID1970

I am going to upgrade my computer and am considering going to a Macbook Pro.  I've never been a Mac user but use an iPhone and iPad.  I am concerned with the learning curve, especially drawing with a different kind of mouse.  Any advice on whether making the switch is worth it to switch to Mac (learning curve time and more money)?  

I'm looking at

Macbook Pro 2.9GHz quad-core 7th gen Intel Core I7 processor, Turbo Boost to 3.9GHz, 16GB 2133 MHZ LPDDR3 memory, 1TB SSD storage Radeon Pro 560 w/ 4GB memory ($3199) 

versus

Dell Mobil Precision 7520 laptop Window 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel Core i7-7820HQ (quad core 2.9GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 8MB 35W), 16GB 2667MHz DDR4 Non-ECC SDRAM, 1TB M.2 PCI3 Solid State Drive, NVIDIA Quadro M1200 w/ 4 GB GDDR5 w/ ProSupport 3 yr warranty ($2753.80)

I am not a computer person so what I've type above I really don't understand but have been recommended by a local computer company.  Thanks for any advice!

Honestly - I wouldn't get either one.  I've always liked the Asus ROG - which is one of the best gaming laptops out there.  Gaming laptops make great Chief Architect systems typically since the resources needed are in line with each other.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G703/

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201710AM260000001/-ASUS-ROG-G703VI-XH74K-Gaming-Laptop%2C-17.3-inch-144Hz-G-SYNC%2C-Overclocked-Core-i7-CPU-and-GTX-1080-8GB%2C-32GB-DDR4%2C-512GB-PCIe-SSD-%2B-1TB-SSHD

...or if that is too expensive, Alienware is another good option

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/alienware-17/spd/alienware-17-laptop/dkcwkblg0744

I think you just might have started a classic PC versus Mac, Armageddon, lol. 

My two cents. 

I switched to Mac 5 years ago. 

I’m happy I did now but it was a good 6 months of cursing and regretting the decision at the time of the switch. 

Although, seeing as I use Dropbox for everything today I think which system you use is becoming less of an issue. 

I’m using X10 now and my MacBook pro handles it very well. The specs you posted far outclass my system so you’ll be fine. 

However, if you want your system to fly through raytraces at world record speeds then, dollar for dollar the more knowledgeable folks in this forum can help you build a much faster rig than anything Apple has to offer. 

...and this is coming from a self declared Apple fanboy.  

14 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

I think you just might have started a classic PC versus Mac, Armageddon, lol. 

My two cents. 

I switched to Mac 5 years ago. 

I’m happy I did now but it was a good 6 months of cursing and regretting the decision at the time of the switch. 

Although, seeing as I use Dropbox for everything today I think which system you use is becoming less of an issue. 

I’m using X10 now and my MacBook pro handles it very well. The specs you posted far outclass my system so you’ll be fine. 

However, if you want your system to fly through raytraces at world record speeds then, dollar for dollar the more knowledgeable folks in this forum can help you build a much faster rig than anything Apple has to offer. 

...and this is coming from a self declared Apple fanboy.  

I was an Apple fan-boy for over a decade and still love their consumer gadgets (iPad/Apple Watch etc).  However, when Apple started using standard components (intel etc) inside their systems and went away from dedicated dual processors in their Pro options I didn't understand why the hardware costs stayed so high.  I'm finishing a new build right now on a 10 core system - better than what the new Imac Pro spec'd out - and I will be under $3k.  That same system from Apple is $8k (lesser spec'd).

Apple is cool and all, but spending $5k MORE on a computer that is simply going to depreciate rapidly and need to be replaced in a couple years doesn't seem like a wise investment. 

• Upvote 2

Switching to the Mac OS is a big change.  If you are comfortable with PC, that might be a good choice (and less expensive)

We just bought 10 new laptops that work well – from Costco $900.

Lenovo Y520, 16 GB memory, Nvida 4GB.  Here’s a link:  https://www.costco.com/Lenovo-LEGION-Y520-Gaming-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100347159.html

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, scottharris said:

Switching to the Mac OS is a big change.  If you are comfortable with PC, that might be a good choice (and less expensive)

Lenovo Y520, 16 GB memory, Nvida 4GB.  Here’s a link:  https://www.costco.com/Lenovo-LEGION-Y520-Gaming-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100347159.html

I bought one of these exact laptops for my engineer - and she loves it.  Runs Chief well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 6:08 PM, scottharris said:

On 2/19/2018 at 6:46 PM, johnny said:

I bought one of these exact laptops for my engineer - and she loves it.  Runs Chief well.

Hi Johnny / Scott , I was just wondering after a few weeks how you are finding the Performance of these Laptops with the Nvidia 4GB 1050Ti  ?

I am thinking of Ordering the Acer Version since the Lenovo Versionis not available here 

• Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51-76YG 15.6" Laptop (i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 Home)  

It won't be my Main computer , I have a desktop for that , but I'm hoping it is good enough when I am on the Road or need to Show Clients Renders rather than Emailing them Images.

Mick.