crawlspace vents

daveswork

Hi all

I've been trying to show crawlspace vents that mount in the rim joist of my current project. Tried using the ones supplied in the library. Here's the problem:

-If I install them on the on the first floor (plan view) I don't want them cluttering up the view and I can't hide the openings they create on my floor plan view.  I put them on a different layer than the window layer and when I go to turn that layer off they do disappear but still show an opening in the wall where they were.

-If I put them on the foundation level they are too low. So I tried to move them up to the rim joists using the elevation view now they are flush with the foundation and are actually behind the stucco and create a weird looking opening around it.

What do others do? Spending a lot of time on this! Experimenting with a poly line solid but having trouble finding a material to look vent-ish.

Thanks!

Dave

1 hour ago, daveswork said:

.......-If I put them on the foundation level they are too low. So I tried to move them up to the rim joists using the elevation view now they are flush with the foundation and are actually behind the stucco and create a weird looking opening around it.......

I use a fixed glass window with screen material for the vent.  I put it on the foundation level.  

5a8afe668e4b4_Untitled1.thumb.jpg.2e08df5059b2b3632bc3b32563edf435.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply!

OK this works for a vent, but now I have a permanent opening in my stem wall that shows on my foundation plan, even with windows off in my layer settings. I don't want to show the vents this way. Maybe just an arrow with a "V" at the end. and the dimensions between there markers. I do want the vents to show in my elevation views.

if you don't want them to show on the foundation plan, put them on their own layer and just turn the layer off in plan view, they can still show on the elevations. you can even put them in a schedule, use a window schedule and just show vents.

33 minutes ago, daveswork said:

Thanks for the reply!

OK this works for a vent, but now I have a permanent opening in my stem wall that shows on my foundation plan, even with windows off in my layer settings. I don't want to show the vents this way. Maybe just an arrow with a "V" at the end. and the dimensions between there markers. I do want the vents to show in my elevation views.

If you're using a window, you can't get rid of the cutout, except in certain cases in pony walls, and then only in X10 it seems.

For now CAD lines & masks is how I cover up the cutouts.

I posted a Suggestion asking for cutouts to be hidden when their parent window is hidden. Click it and give your support:

There are at least a couple other ways to deal with these things too.

1.  Use a symbol and a wall material region to cut a hole in the wall.  You can block them and add them to your user library.

2.  Use a symbol and the new Inserts Into Wall Option. 

Both options can cut a hole in the wall with any unwanted cutouts in plan view.

• Upvote 1