Offseting cad lines

DanDearborn

Good Morning:

Just wondering if anyone who is using X10 can tell me if we finally have an "offset CAD line" command. You know, where we simply select the offset command and are prompted to:  input the offset distance, decide whether or not to delete original line, specify the CAD line to offset, and then click on the side of the line you wish the offset to be made. A simple 5-6 second operation which has been around for decades in even the most basic CAD programs.  (I haven't installed X10 yet, it is waiting in the vault for the Ray tracing issues to be sorted out) I still use ACAD for most 2D stuff. Old habits die hard.

Unless I'm not clear on your question, isn't this the function of the 'Transform/Replicate Object' button?  If so, it's been in Chief for years. 

You click on a line (or point, etc), hit Transform/Replicate, specify X/Y/Z distances, number of copies, etc and whether to duplicate or move the line (or other object).

Untitled.png

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, Ignacio74 said:

What If you are trying to Offset a line that is in an odd angle and you want it to offset in that same angle?

Try dragging and hitting tab.  First with your left mouse button, and then again with your right mouse button.  The left button is your Primary Movement Method and can be specified via Preferences>Edit>Behaviors>Primary Movement Method.  The Right button is your Alternate Movement Method.  One will be Orthogonal (the one you want), and the other will be Polar (the one you probably don't want). 

Now when you start dragging and ht Tab, the Enter Coordinates Dialog will open up.  This you DO want to change to Polar.  You should see that the proper Angle is already set.  You just need to enter the desired Distance and then click Enter.

You can also get the Angle to properly populate using the Polar Movement Method so long as you have Angle Snaps turned OFF and Perpendicular Extensions toggled ON.  You just have to watch for the Perpendicular Extension indicator.  When you see it, hit the tab key and use the prepopulated Angle and your desired Distance as already mentioned above.

BONUS TIP:  You can also hold down the C key as you drag your line, and in doing so, simply use the Concentric Jump setting as set in Preferences>Edit>Behaviors>Edit Type>Concentric

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You can also hold down the C key as you drag your line, and in doing so, simply use the Concentric Jump setting as set in Preferences>Edit>Behaviors>Edit Type>Concentric

Fantastic advice that I almost never use.

I’ve been meaning to ask for 5 years now, I swear I used to know a way to jump to an x input after making a y input on say a CAD box. Am I dreaming that up? Did that question make sense? As in, select a side of a closer poly line, click on a temp dimension and input, and automatically go to the adjacent dimension input

14 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I’ve been meaning to ask for 5 years now, I swear I used to know a way to jump to an x input after making a y input on say a CAD box. Am I dreaming that up? Did that question make sense? As in, select a side of a closer poly line, click on a temp dimension and input, and automatically go to the adjacent dimension input

There's an automatic behavior that will rotate the selected edge counterclockwise as you make changes to the dimensions, but its a little hit and miss as to whether or works or not, and you still have to click on the desired dimension.  Is that what you're thinking of?

36 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

There's an automatic behavior that will rotate the selected edge counterclockwise as you make changes to the dimensions, but its a little hit and miss as to whether or works or not, and you still have to click on the desired dimension.  Is that what you're thinking of?

Exactly!

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Try dragging and hitting tab.  First with your left mouse button, and then again with your right mouse button.  The left button is your Primary Movement Method and can be specified via Preferences>Edit>Behaviors>Primary Movement Method.  The Right button is your Alternate Movement Method.  One will be Orthogonal (the one you want), and the other will be Polar (the one you probably don't want). 

BTW this has never worked on my machine for any versions, and I have always been aware of the method from the documentation. I've never taken the time to call in about this. Right clicking does exactly the same thing as left clicking for me, no matter the preferences.

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

BTW this has never worked on my machine for any versions, and I have always been aware of the method from the documentation. I've never taken the time to call in about this. Right clicking does exactly the same thing as left clicking for me, no matter the preferences.

That sounds pretty weird.  Can you make a quick video showing this?  Try move a single rotated line both ways and then a rotated rectangular polyline both ways.  In addition to using the right mouse button to activate the alternate behavior, also try just using the Alt key to activate the behavior.

22 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

That sounds pretty weird.  Can you make a quick video showing this?  Try move a single rotated line both ways and then a rotated rectangular polyline both ways.  In addition to using the right mouse button to activate the alternate behavior, also try just using the Alt key to activate the behavior.

Might be doing it wrong?

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

Hmm, now I have to watch my own video, I didnt see any difference for the tab input. Scratching head.

Just to reiterate…

5 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

...when you start dragging and hit Tab, the Enter Coordinates Dialog will open up.  This you DO want to change to Polar.  You should see that the proper Angle is already set.  You just need to enter the desired Distance and then click Enter.

If you're using the Orthogonal Movement Method, then the angle should be parallel to or perpendicular to the associated edges, otherwise you'll be using the Allowed Angles (assuming your Angle Snaps are toggled on).  Try turning on your Angle Snap Grid while you're going through the exercise and I think you'll see what I mean.