How to show 3D framing on room addition only

VinnieVicon

Chief X6. Hi my name is Vinnie and I'm designing a garage that will be attached to an existing house; I want to show the garage framing in 3D and at the same show the rest of the house in 3D but without showing the framing.  I know X6 has that cool individual framing tool now, I tried that but when I go to the 3D framing view, the rest of the house disappears and it sometimes shows the 3D framing but the siding of the existing house is not showing.  I know it can be done I'm just not sure how. Please help.

Vinnie

One way would be to save out a file to only work on the garage. Delete the rest of the house and build your framing. Grab all of that framing and make a block which you import into your main file. As long as that block is on a distinct layer you can show or hide as you wish.

Create 2 wall types - one for the garage and one for the house - no need for a framing layer in the house walls.

Change the wall layers (all layers except the framing layer) of the garage wall type to the material Insulation Air Gap. 

It will look normal in plan view.

In a 3D view you will only see the framing layer for the garage walls.

It is then easy to restore the garage wall layers back to normal when you want a complete view.

• Upvote 1

Mark,

That doesn't help when you want to show a 3D view with some walls displaying the framing layer only and some walls displaying all their wall layers, including the linings.

A further refinement on the method I outlined is to create 2 wall types for the garage.

One type using the Insulation Air Gap material for the linings and one normal wall type.

You can then just swap the wall types around as needed for the different views.

Vinnie,

You will have difficulty following the instructions in the document that George posted.

There have been changes to the program since than, especially in regard to the Layer Display Options dbx. 

There are no longer separate columns for display of 2D and 3D.

Vinnie,

You will have difficulty following the instructions in the document that George posted.

There have been changes to the program since than, especially in regard to the Layer Display Options dbx. 

There are no longer separate columns for display of 2D and 3D.

Thanks Glen you are correct, I'm going to take a look at Allen's instructions. Vinnie 

That's why I said no guarantees for use in X-6. Too bad, it worked really well in it's day, eight years ago - seems like it would be easier now, are we going backwards?

Thanks George, the program has changed, I appreciate the help though.  Vinnie