ray trace in v9 vs v10

pgjacob

Hi All

I am seeing much more speckles in v10 ray trace than in v9.  Same plan, same ray trace settings.  Also just looks different and seems longer.Files attached are 2 passes.  Same lights on.  I have also noticed that when i put an orange cushion on the island stools, it seems worse... I'd attach a plan of just the kitchen layout but is there a way to crop the plan without destroying walls/roof, etc.?

v10 test.jpg

v9 test.jpg

All of us Ray Tracers are experiencing the same issue with X10. CA has changed a number of the material properties to work with the new PBR camera feature. Unfortunately these material property changes are having a negative impact on Ray Tracing. The most obvious one is related to reflectivity, even though they claim this has been addressed in the latest update I still find it to be significantly different than the old reflective material properties and it does not Ray Trace the same.

5 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

All of us Ray Tracers are experiencing the same issue with X10. CA has changed a number of the material properties to work with the new PBR camera feature. Unfortunately these material property changes are having a negative impact on Ray Tracing. The most obvious one is related to reflectivity, even though they claim this has been addressed in the latest update I still find it to be significantly different than the old reflective material properties and it does not Ray Trace the same.

This is unacceptable in terms of a "new feature", disable an existing one for a new one which is still in its infancy and virtually unusable.

DJP

Just now, DavidJPotter said:

This is unacceptable in terms of a "new feature", disable an existing one for a new one which is still in its infancy and virtually unusable.

DJP

Agree 100% - The impact that changes to accommodate this PBR feature should have been fully evaluated and corrected for before releasing it. It would have been appropriate for us to have been made aware of this "deficiency" in advance, had I known this I would have held off and stayed with X9. This has now caused me a considerable amount of wasted time as I try to figure out how to work around this and get my exiting plans to Ray Trace correctly.

18 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Agree 100% - The impact that changes to accommodate this PBR feature should have been fully evaluated and corrected for before releasing it. It would have been appropriate for us to have been made aware of this "deficiency" in advance, had I known this I would have held off and stayed with X9. This has now caused me a considerable amount of wasted time as I try to figure out how to work around this and get my exiting plans to Ray Trace correctly.

Even though I have SSA, this is the main reason I've held off upgrading to X10.

I'm only now, after much struggle, getting decent RT results. Are we better off just moving to PBR and leaving RT behind? That seems to have been the decision at HQ...

2 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Even though I have SSA, this is the main reason I've held off upgrading to X10.

I'm only now, after much struggle, getting decent RT results. Are we better off just moving to PBR and leaving RT behind? That seems to have been the decision at HQ...

I'm starting to believe that this may well be the case and suspect CA will likely drop Ray Trace sometime in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also having the same frustrations.  Here is a before X9 and and after X10 ray trace of the same project.  I just needed to make a couple of corrections to the project and now I can't even render the same images to send to my client.  

How would one go back to X9 after installing X10??

Shitty looking X10 ray trace.jpg

Hursh-Interior 3D4 1-30-18 X9 ray trace.jpg

I got a response from Tech support.  See Below.  But try increasing roughness in x10 above 50% for materials.  This did seem to help some.

Thank you for sending in all this information.

I will say right now I have passed this along to our development team to look at, but I do know that changes were made to materials and how they work with ray traces in X10 which from my understanding could be why you are seeing more speckles to begin with and slower rendering times. 

Basically in the latest build of Chief Architect (20.1.0.43) if the roughness of a material is under 50% you will get reflections which slow down the ray trace and cause more speckling. Materials that you don't need to have perfect reflections on you could modify to have a roughness over 50% which will speed up the ray traces.

You could also try doing a longer ray trace (at least 20 passes) and see if it begins to clear up with X10. Though I would suggest trying to option above first and see how it goes. Feel free to post those results of longer ray traces as well and I will make sure those get passed along to development as well.

I hope this information is helpful.