OOPS not so fast(almost solved w Update 20.2.0.51) X10 with an Intel card

MarkMc

Works now with update 20.2.0.51

Will post at the end, still some issues.

Anyone running X10 with an Intel card only?  Are you having any success?

My little toy secondary Spectre runs X9 adequately but getting repeated crashes in X10  even without multiple tabs or using PBR. PBR has pixelization ( if I can even manage to get there). I'd been hoping for improvement in the final for PBR but getting the SEH errors instead. Mentioned it to Support - they suggested update drivers- machine is update by MS and HP as of Wednesday. I'd forced an update on the Intel drivers at one point in testing which made it all worse.

Thanks for the fix Chief :)

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

did you check that the Intel Drivers OpenGL support is upto snuff?

Yeah, it's the UHD 620-latest card latest mfg driver. Like I said it runs X9 adequately enough for what I'd use it for. Wouldn't want to spend the day on it "0 but a short show and tell it's fine. I wonder if it's partly the missing materials. I'll check it sometime over the weekend with something where I know it has all the textures.

I did see the post about the missing Textures but I thought they solved that? Bad Libraries Files on the Server for the Full Release Yesterday apparently.

Perhaps the RCSS are just too much for it ?  , time to gifted it to someone and upgrade I guess..... which sucks cos it's kinda new isn't it?

Bought it end of November. Talked with Graham before I got it since he has the prior model. I'll run Grandview in X9. Worked better with earlier beta releases. 

I got it for a couple of reasons which still apply but this part is not good. 

1 minute ago, MarkMc said:

Bought it end of November. Talked with Graham before I got it since he has the prior model. I'll run Grandview in X9. Worked better with earlier beta releases. 

I got it for a couple of reasons which still apply but this part is not good. 

Mark - I will update mine tomorrow from x10 Beta to X10 and see if things run differently with the new release. As mentioned before, the Grandview plan ran ok on mine with X10 Beta. Cameras took maybe 10 sec to display but after that zooming and panning was fine. Will keep you posted.

Hi Mark - I just upgraded to the new X10 on my Spectra 360. Could not get it to crash and was using the Grandview plan. One thing is to make sure you do not have too many active lights as for each turned on light things will get slower and slower, even in a standard camera view. Also, having the shadows and all of those other goodies turned on will slow things down. If I monitor CPU and GPU usage it is clear that the GPU can be easily maxed out with too many things turned on, especially with more than 8 lights and using the PBR camera. It seems that the way CA has changed how lights and lighting is being handled that it is placing much more demand on the GPU than in the past. I'm encountering a similar issue with my desktop GTX 745, though not as sever but things are just not as snappy, smooth or as responsive as before. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Hi Mark - I just upgraded to the new X10 on my Spectra 360. Could not get it to crash and was using the Grandview plan. One thing is to make sure you do not have too many active lights as for each turned on light things will get slower and slower, even in a standard camera view. Also, having the shadows and all of those other goodies turned on will slow things down. If I monitor CPU and GPU usage it is clear that the GPU can be easily maxed out with too many things turned on, especially with more than 8 lights and using the PBR camera. It seems that the way CA has changed how lights and lighting is being handled that it is placing much more demand on the GPU than in the past. I'm encountering a similar issue with my desktop GTX 745, though not as sever but things are just not as snappy, smooth or as responsive as before. 

Thanks for checking Graham. I just had a little time to get at it again. This was nothing like Grandview-4 walls, 5 cabinets and a fridge. Just tried a new one after updating catalogs again. 4 walls, 32 windows, two doors, 5 cabinets, tried with fridge and range from core catalog and without. Set every default having anything to do with views down .

I get an occasional SEH error complainging about the video card in standard view. I managed to switch to PBR once- pixeled out. Move and it goes black.

Card is well above min. sys requirements listed on Chiefs site (has Open GL 4.5). When I spoke with tech he pretty as much as said "dedicated GPU" (so take the Inetl card off the site !!)

Wonder what's the difference between mine and yours? maybe single core performance- but the CPU barely spikes for a second and this has 4 actual, 8 effective.

Guess for now I'll just stick with standard on this and look into selling this off in a couple of weeks- need the tablet for to use static images at a few business meetings first. In the meantime I'll lug the beast and power brick for consumers.

Thanks for checking.

The difference maybe in the Intel Video Card , Graham may have the 520 or even the 4000/5000 like my Surface? , your's has the newer 620, so perhaps Chief hasn't caught up yet? I know over the Years it has always taken them a few months to catch upto Intel's latest , that's been going on for years and years cos many Laptops have always used the iGPU.....

M.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

The difference maybe in the Intel Video Card , Graham may have the 520 or even the 4000/5000 like my Surface? , your's has the newer 620, so perhaps Chief hasn't caught up yet? I know over the Years it has always taken them a few months to catch upto Intel's latest , that's been going on for years and years cos many Laptops have always used the iGPU.....

M.

Mine also has the 620 Intel Graphics. I think it's the graphics driver, I have version 21.20.16.4542 10/24/16. There is a newer drive out there, just installed it and I got that SEH Error every time I opened up a camera view and started to pan around. Try rolling back the driver version in Device Manager and see if that helps.

Well at least you seem to have found the Issue , you should both report it so they know....

make sure to Turn off Win10 Driver Updates then cos it may try to update it to whatever the Latest is if you don't in a round and round circle every week.....

see the 2nd 1/2 of the 1st post in the Nvidia Driver Thread for that....

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Mine also has the 620 Intel Graphics. I think it's the graphics driver, I have version 21.20.16.4542 10/24/16. There is a newer drive out there, just installed it and I got that SEH Error every time I opened up a camera view and started to pan around. Try rolling back the driver version in Device Manager and see if that helps.

I have 22.20.16.4836 -10/17/2017. Neither Intel or HP will let me get anything earlier. I found 21.20.16.4542 10/24/16. elsewhere but it doesn't say it's compatible with my CPUi7-8550U. I can force the install (maybe) but not sure how that works with the GPU. If I'm gonna try that I'll make a disc image first so won't be until Mon or Tues.

Mick, thanks. I generally don't allow updates of drivers or anything else until I've read the notes and decided I really need it (specially on laptops) Just found a way to install GPEDIT on the Spectre and plan to try that tomorrow. Will save me from upgrading to Win Pro since that's the only reason I ever get it. Let you know if that works.

Microsoft Catalog calls them 610 Drivers but I think they are for the broader 600 Series ...Kabylake......you can look at the details on the MCU page and see if your PID matches those that can use it.... click on the blue name on the left and then the Package Details tab....

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Intel+hd

36 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Microsoft Catalog calls them 610 Drivers but I think they are for the broader 600 Series ...Kabylake......you can look at the details on the MCU page and see if your PID matches those that can use it.... click on the blue name on the left and then the Package Details tab....

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Intel+hd

none of the numbers match anything I can find on my machine, all the PIDs I find are 4 digit. With a 620HD search on the site you link I find "almost"  the driver that Graham lists. I can't find the one I have either both may have been HP only. I'll look into it further but not going to force it without a fresh disc image.

I put my PID for my Surface 3 into the MUC Search box and found my Surface ones.... they are upto date though...... at version 20.19.15.4424

ie I used as much of the full PID as would return a search result         pci\ven_8086&dev_22B0&subsys_00091414

wise move to do a full Image backup though...

PID.thumb.PNG.7965c19b5b486c7e56d82b81c1f860c1.PNG

Mark - Here is what I had to do to get the older graphics driver to install. 

Here is a link to Intel's procedure to force the install.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html

If you use any other method, such as the set-up file it will likely refuse to install.

Please note that I have no way to know if this will work properly with your system. It works fine on mine and was the original driver that came with it when purchased.

10 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Thanks Graham- my concern is if it will work with the processor. I have not been able to get any information on that so far but figure I'll be safe enough with an image and crossed fingers :)

That's the big unknown, my CPU is 7th gen and yours is 8th gen. Intel states that my graphics is HD Graphics 620 and yours is HD UHD Graphics 620. The only possible indicator is that the newest driver version for mine is also the same as your current version and when I use it I encounter the same problems as you are experiencing. I tried several driver versions, all from 2017 and had the same problem. Can only suggest making a bootable USB so if you end up with a blank screen you can reboot from the USB and reset the graphics driver. For this you many need to enter the BIOS setup and set the USB as the first bootable device and then your C as the second.

Graham is right you'll probably need to Force the install using the "Have disk" method via Device Manager , as alot of Driver Installers check to see if there is a Newer version already Installed and quit if there is.

If you downloaded the MCU .cab file, it is done the same way ...here is a quick tut. on that too :

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/66346-install-cab-file-windows-10-a.html#post873775

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Graham is right you'll probably need to Force the install using the "Have disk" method via Device Manager , as alot of Driver Installers check to see if there is a Newer version already Installed and quit if there is.

If you downloaded the MCU .cab file, it is done the same way ...here is a quick tut. on that too :

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/66346-install-cab-file-windows-10-a.html#post873775

Exactly, using the standard install methods would not work as they check and refuse to install if the driver is older than the current one. Also, the roll-back in Device Manager would not work as when I installed one of the newer drivers it deleted my older one from the list. The method I found bypasses all of this checking and installs the driver, system is back to normal and a good thing as I had a presentation to do today.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 1:49 PM, Kbird1 said:

On 2/17/2018 at 5:31 PM, TheKitchenAbode said:

Got it to work. Made an image just in case, then tied up with closing showroom, moving office--yadyadada...

The 21.20.16.4542 that I could find did not offer the 620 card? Tried forcing the newest current driver- yuck. Then figure whatthe... and got hold of 21.20.16.4590 1/18/17. That worked at least so far. Only ran a quick test-snappier, no pixels in PBR, seams decent.

Thanks guys.

1 minute ago, MarkMc said:

Got it to work. Made an image just in case, then tied up with closing showroom, moving office--yadyadada...

The 21.20.16.4542 that I could find did not offer the 620 card? Tried forcing the newest current driver- yuck. Then figure whatthe... and got hold of 21.20.16.4590 1/18/17. That worked at least so far. Only ran a quick test-snappier, no pixels in PBR, seams decent.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the update Mark and pleased you were able to get your new Spectra working. It would have been a real shame if you were forced to work with a crippled system or had to scrap it.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

Then figure whatthe... and got hold of 21.20.16.4590

good news !

Make sure to disable Hardware/Driver Updates or Windows 10 will "update" you to the current latest again , has been (was) happening to me going back to 382.05 Nvidia Driver too , tomorrow is Microsoft update day too I think ( 1st or 2nd tues every month ) .

more info in the Nvidia 388 Thread  all you need to do is run a .reg file though.

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is playing along I just tried the "correct" driver with the update 20.1.1.1. Thought since they fixed something with Intel cards, albeit on Macs, and Dermot said they thought issues were important, but NG. Same thing. Sent in again as full report along with an assortment of SEH errors that allowed to report. Rolled back and is fine. Oddly enough this was not a problem in the first two Beta releases, just since the public and final.