X10 released today - best and worst features

Joe_Carrick

BEST

The Insert Macro dialog for user macros is now scrollable and will jump to any A/N character.  This is a big improvement.  It's not the ideal (browser with folders) but it's a step in the right direction.

WORST

The Attempt to force the naming of user macros to begin with a lower case letter.

This is a really bad decision by CA.

39 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

BEST

The Insert Macro dialog for user macros is now scrollable and will jump to any A/N character.  This is a big improvement.  It's not the ideal (browser with folders) but it's a step in the right direction.

WORST

The Attempt to force the naming of user macros to begin with a lower case letter.

This is a really bad decision by CA.

Joe, does this screw up any of our existing macros from working or do I need to change my macro's?

Earlier this week an employee of Chief Inc said here that "The Physical Based Render and the now missing Reflection slider in Materials Properties would be fixed." I now see this as a False Report. PBR still shows promise but is a hit and miss proposition and the Properties Tab is still missing control of reflections like we have in X9. I do not intend to use X10 until they keep their publicly stated word.

DJP

• Upvote 1

David,

Creating a General Material with a low roughness and a higher specular value should give you a very reflective surface in 20.1.   Altering the roughness and specular values should give you the control needed to get results similar if not the same as X9.

Have you been able to test this out?  If you are still getting undesirable results in this area please submit a plan to tech support so we can look into the issue further.

Thanks

25 minutes ago, warrenwest said:

And it still doesn't run on the latest MacBook pro .

We are not aware an issue where the software doesn't run on the Macbook pro.  We are aware on a issue where the rendering on some MacBook pros is not functioning correctly, and we are attempting to see if we can resolve it.  Is this the issue you are having?  If not please contact our support team.

4 minutes ago, BrianBeck said:

We are not aware an issue where the software doesn't run on the Macbook pro.  We are aware on a issue where the rendering on some MacBook pros is not functioning correctly, and we are attempting to see if we can resolve it.  Is this the issue you are having?  If not please contact our support team.

Indeed and hence by my definition it doesn't run because I cant use it. It will sometimes not generate camera views ( I get a white screen and then the program crashes ) or I do get a view but with messed up textures. eg below. First image is taken with X9, second image with X10. Same file, same notebook. 

Currently the latest version does not fulfil my basic needs as I cant show this to clients in the field. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 9.20.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 9.22.54 PM.png

16 minutes ago, warrenwest said:

Indeed and hence by my definition it doesn't run because I cant use it. It will sometimes not generate camera views ( I get a white screen and then the program crashes ) or I do get a view but with messed up textures. eg below. First image is taken with X9, second image with X10. Same file, same notebook. 

Currently the latest version does not fulfil my basic needs as I cant show this to clients in the field. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 9.20.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 9.22.54 PM.png

Do you have Ceiling Surfaces on in X10 ? I see two different ones in X9 ( kitchen and living Room) curious cos that looks like the OSB/Plywood showing over the Kitchen like you have no Ceiling Material or Ceiling in Rooms are Off ?

M.

1 hour ago, OkcDesigner said:

Brian,

I have tried to get plan to send in. This issue of Blinding Whiting out, or black out is hit or miss.

I will gladly do GoToMeeting with who ever at chief to show them end user issue...........on my system

a possible fix, working for Me ...at least in Beta3 so far

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16912-lets-pbr/?do=findComment&comment=142683

M.

2 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

X9 also had the same issues with Mac.  Missing materials, white-out, etc...

I think it was fixed in the first update about a month later.

Or was it X8?

I have only seen the White Out issue in PBR Views ...which are X10 Only .....and I think I found a fix, that works for me anyway which is linked above in #13

M.

Brian Beck, thank you for your response to my post. I think, on the whole, I like X10 better than any prior release, I really had that only complaint above. I think in terms of the slowness I experience is based on my needing to upgrade my hardware (it has been three or four years since my last upgrade), we will see.

DJP

On 2/15/2018 at 2:35 PM, BrianBeck said:

Altering the roughness and specular values should give you the control needed to get results similar if not the same as X9.

Brian, my issue is how X10 handles reflections in RT.  All materials ray trace differently vs. X6, X7, etc.  I can set materials that get good reflectivity in PBR that are dull--without depth--in ray trace.  As the Core Catalog materials are/were (I haven't tested all the released version yet) optimized for PBR, that means now I need to go jigger everything.  AND! And, all of the manufacturer materials had settings reliant on the reflective property.  Since that property no longer exists--well, my point is that something that was a known is now an unknown.  I would rather have seen a new PBR materials lib instead of the reuse route.

My worst feature is NO hardware lock :(

my friend (partner) and I will be staying with X9

also, still waiting for the Library to be fixed to allow sub folders etc

and to have all the libraries replicate the website structure 1 for 1

also, still waiting for Ruby to have recordable macro capability

also, still waiting for true BIM capabilty

best feature is probably "plan sets"

but I haven't tried them out

Lew

I’m really intrigued about these plan sets but I can’t find any details about how they really work. 

The question I have is, donplan sers save an instance of layer settings and defaults at the time of saving said plan set? 

OR

If after saving a plan set you go and alter a layer set or default text height the plan set also changes accordingly. 

Can anyone comment, or refer me to a video or documentation?

Saved Plan Views is a STELLAR new feature of X10. Many thanks for the video Eric (and Chief) as there are so many hidden features within that feature it's impossible to use them at their full capability without that detailed explanation.

One thing I would like is to be able to save ALL open plan views upon re-opening a plan file but still a GREAT GREAT feature IMO.

A great feature of using “plan views” is:...

...you know when you’re in an anno set and either accidentally, or on purpose you switch layer sets and then get the dreaded “using active defaults” in the anno sets drop down? You know what kind of mayhem that can inadvertently cause right?

As in, “where was I?” Or, “oh no what anno set was that I just sent to layout now?” Or “how did this layout box suddenly adopt the wrong anno set/later set?!?!?” Etc.   

Well...

If you use “plan views” all you have to do is double click on the plan view in the project browser and your view will be “reset” to its originally saved layer and anno set setting. If you develop this work flow and the habit of double clicking in the plan view before sending to layout then you’ll never have random annno sets or layer sets associated with views sent to layout.