Toggle Dim Fractions On/Off

lbuttery

I know how to use Dim "primary format" to hide fractions by displaying to nearest inch

but this has to be set each and every dim - if desired

is there a way to display the fractions and then toggle to not display

back and forth as needed ?

I like to model using the fractions - but I don't like them displaying - too much clutter on the plans

most of the time no one cares if a dim is 5' 9/16" or 5' 1"

Lew

Eric:

no joy with using annosets ???

I created a copy of the 1/4 scale dimension defaults as 1/4 scale dimension defaults - no fractions

and set the smallest fraction to 1/1

I created a copy of the 1/4 scale annotations as 1/4 scale annotations - no fractions

and set it to use 1/4 scale dimension defaults - no fractions

nothing changed ???

what else do I need to do ???

Lew

NO_FRACTIONS_TEST.plan

I don't think it is quite that Simple, the Annotation Set would also need to change the LayerSet and the Two types of Dimensions would need to be on different Layers too as existing Dimensions are not changed simply by changing Anno Sets , that Change would only effect NEW Dims drawn from that point on.

The Trick will be getting the different Dims onto Different Layers, especially Auto Dimensions like Exterior Dims in your Test Plan

If I am understanding the problem right then you can just double click the dim tool and change the defaults. If the individual dims are on default settings and on the active layer you can change the default and it will change all the dims. It's no on/off button, but it beats doing each dim manually. Alternatively, you could go to the all off layer, turn on the dim layers you want, group select and change them that way all at once.

• Upvote 1

double click the dim tool and change the defaults. If the individual dims are on default settings and on the active layer you can change the default and it will change all the dims

it is my understanding that it won't change dims that have already been placed

I'll try the group select but have doubts that it will work, need to try later this eve

I'm still thinking a simple on/off toggle would be best

Lew

1 hour ago, lbuttery said:

double click the dim tool and change the defaults. If the individual dims are on default settings and on the active layer you can change the default and it will change all the dims

it is my understanding that it won't change dims that have already been placed

I'll try the group select but have doubts that it will work, need to try later this eve

I'm still thinking a simple on/off toggle would be best

Lew

Actually it will Work it seems Lew , all you need to do in the Default Dims DBX is change the Fraction Dimension from 1/4" to 1/1" and those Dims using the Defaults will change , even the already placed ones.

I assumed above with the use of Annotation Sets you wanted to have two sets of Dims you could switch back and forwards from which would be alot more work to setup.

A Save As Plan with different Dimension Defaults would work too obviously but may get confusing especially if Changes were made.

I like to actually have the walls exactly where they need to be by moving them to not have fractions. my dims and grid snaps are set to 1/4" ,but if I don't want to see a fraction, move the wall when needed, then the model will be better.

I like to actually have the walls exactly where they need to be by moving them to not have fractions. my dims and grid snaps are set to 1/4" ,but if I don't want to see a fraction, move the wall when needed, then the model will be better.

Perry:

that may work for new construction (for the most part)

but when working with as-builts - not even close to being able to do that

Lew

all you need to do in the Default Dims DBX is change the Fraction Dimension from 1/4" to 1/1" and those Dims using the Defaults will change , even the already placed ones.

Mick:

you are correct it does work:

1. leave primary format set to "use default" for each/every dim

2. set the default primary dim to desired min fraction - usually 1/16

3. place dims as needed - any dims with fractions will show the fraction

4. when desired to hide the fractions choose "default settings" dbx

set primary dims to 1/1 to display to nearest whole inch - or maybe 1/2 for nearest 1/2 - or maybe 1/4 for nearest 1/4

5. reverse step 4 when fractions are desired again

it would be easier if CA would create a toggle for this on/off display

Lew

so it shouldn't be a problem to get an even number. even at 1/16.

Perry:

huh ?  I don't understand ???

with a Disto I measure to 1/16 and model to 1/16

but all those fractions can clutter up a plan and most of the time I don't want to see them

yes, I allow a 2" tolerance for a few of the dims

if I start to get a lot then something is wrong and another site visit may be in order

Lew